CA smog check on manual-swapped E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CA smog check on manual-swapped E30

Trying to get something of a handle on this early as the shop I bought the car from 18 months ago handled smog check last time around. Have a '91 325i that was converted from auto to manual. Everything works fine but I'm wondering what kind of wrench (if any) this might throw into the works when I go to get a California smog check this summer. My fear is, the fact that the VIN still lists the car as an auto is going to be a problem. Anyone with experience -- actual or anecdotal -- on this? Hoping someone who's been through a similar scenario might be able to offer some wisdom/advice ...
    ainadude
    Indian Wells, CA

sigpic

1991 325i 2dr. 5sp, delphin, w/freshly re-skinned IS sport seats/15" Ronal cross-spokes

1976 Triumph Spitfire w/1.8-liter Miata engine/transmission, koa dash with TR6 oil/volt gauges, lowered suspension, 14" Minilite replicas and more

2004 Kawasaki ZZR600

It shouldnt be an issue
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Of course it SHOULDN'T be a problem, but we're talking California here. :-)
      ainadude
      Indian Wells, CA

sigpic

1991 325i 2dr. 5sp, delphin, w/freshly re-skinned IS sport seats/15" Ronal cross-spokes

1976 Triumph Spitfire w/1.8-liter Miata engine/transmission, koa dash with TR6 oil/volt gauges, lowered suspension, 14" Minilite replicas and more

2004 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

There is no reason why it should be an issue, but a nervous tech may still refuse to pass it. I would either go to a shop you trust, or ask the tech ahead of time if the manual swap will be a problem.
        sigpic
        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
        1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Just don't tell them lol. I've done it multiple times. I don't think they'll be decoding your VIN like that.

Comment

They normally don't question it. One smog shop questioned my S50 e34 wagon 5 speed last year though, he only questioned the manual transmission part since it was listed as an auto in the system. Told him I'm not sure what he's talking about and it's always been a manual as long as I owned the car, he continued smog'ing it as a normal e34 M50 auto and I passed. Thankfully S50's and M50's look identical and have very similar smog numbers, so the engine swap wasn't an issue (maybe would have been if he knew though?!).

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
            1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
            1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
            1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
            1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
            1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
            Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
            1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
            1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

The only difference I can think of is that smog techs are now told to test in certain gears at 15mph and 25mph for manual cars. The computer showing your car as an auto may not display this information. This may deter the tester from smogging your car, however, it should still pass. it shouldn't be a big deal to a seasoned smog tech who is familiar with this scenario though.
              "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
              88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
              91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

I had one of my manual swap cars pass smog multiple times without any problems.
                First e30 - 1991 318i 4 door

Comment

Thanks, guys, appreciate the input. Will let you know how it goes when the time comes.
                  ainadude
                  Indian Wells, CA

sigpic

2004 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

Working...
                  X