No announcement yet.

Relocation to VA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MD law concerning the historic plates is vague in judicial context. Not does it give much meaning to the traffic cop. Now, I've seen commercial motor vehicles with historic tags and I have seen vehicles operating in a business fashion with historic tags. They are getting themselves the attention they deserve.

Teaching in MD, your GF is up for?
    ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Das Delfin
      I hope your significant other has a masters degree especially in NOVA; or is at least working towards it. There is a lot of competition for getting a job as a high school teacher. Granite that NOVA does pay more than other areas, but for someone with a masters the pay really is not that great; most do it for the benefits. If she plans on teaching at a public school she is going to have to deal with heckling; each school has their own mixture of low-income and over privileged ass-holes. IMO I would check out private schools there are a number of them in the NOVA; pay is considerably better, students want to learn (smaller classes), but there is more competition. Hope this helped, NOVA is a great place, TONS of jobs in both government and private sectors so it would not be hard for you to find something as well.

Good luck!
      #Treadlifematters

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
        Well maybe you can show me the cool side of Richmond sometime. It has been a few years since I've been there.
        Lemme know when you come down. We've got pretty much everything. Country roads for driving, breweries, distilleries, cideries, all kinds of bars, secluded river spots (if you know how/where to go), great restaurants of all price ranges, word of mouth house shows, small and mid sized venues (up to 500 people) for local bands, larger venues (1500 people) for larger national acts, tons of history, the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Center Stage for performing arts, the Richmond Ballet, a festival every other weekend, etc. Plus affordable housing, decent paying jobs, and lots of job opportunities.

I have DEFINITELY noticed a difference from 8 years ago when I started college. If it was longer since you've been here, you probably won't recognize much of anything. Especially around VCU.
        sigpic
        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
        1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Yeah, maybe something this summer would be cool.
          AWD > RWD

Comment

McGyver are you into performing arts? Play in a band?

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

I've lived in Virginia for all my life and have lived in two drastically different parts of it. First I grew up in Fauquier County which is about 20-30 minutes west of Manassas. Its a very rural area and the north side of the county is filled by big money horse owners, and the south side is nothing but fields and farms. Your GF might be able to find a decent job there though. Everyone who is moving out of NoVa seems to be moving to the center of the county and it rapidly expanding. They had to build a brand new high school, middle school, and elementary school and all three are already mostly filled up and need to build more. Plus Prince William County is right there and their student population is bigger than Fauquier's total population (or used to be).

The second place I've lived is Hampton Roads, Norfolk to be exact, and its a interesting place to say the least. Virginia Beach and Chesapeake are nice, but Norfolk, Hampton, and Newport News can get real ghetto real quick. Traffic sucks down here though, not NoVa bad, but enough to not make me live here any longer than I have to.

The thing that sucks most about Virginia are the summers.
              My Garage
              2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
              1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
              1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
              Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
                McGyver are you into performing arts? Play in a band?
                I have a decent amount of friends in bands and a friend that use to book shows at an underground house venue, but I don't play in a band. I used to dabble with the guitar and mandolin, but I rarely play them anymore. I also played tenor sax in middle/high school, but it's just sitting there too. I want to get back into playing, but adulting takes so much time and I have too many car projects.

So for now I just go out with friends to see local bands at various places around town. It's fun and Richmond has a HUGE local music scene.
                sigpic
                1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]

Comment

That's good to hear. I played sax in the school band too but liked bari more than tenor :P I used to play all over in CA but haven't done anything with anyone since I moved here. It's kinda nice, like a long meditative retreat, but it's also really. boring.

Why do Virginia summers suck? Humidity? It gets pretty humid in CT too.. so much so that I'm mapping out how to fix the A/C in my convertible

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Why do Virginia summers suck? Humidity? It gets pretty humid in CT too.. so much so that I'm mapping out how to fix the A/C in my convertible
                    Pretty much, I can't stand it anymore. If I had an air conditioned garage I could probably live with it. After graduation I'm looking at moving to colorado or somewhere like that.
                    My Garage
                    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

You don't understand humidity. I'm talking about days where it's 80F by 8 am and goes up to 100F in the afternoon, then add 80-90% humidity. Its so bad that there are weeks where my house (build in 2005) can't keep the place cooler than 80F inside. Outside of a city it's at least 5 degrees cooler because less concrete, but you still get thick haze from the direct sun and all the humidity. That being said, drinking cold beer next to the river all summer is realllllly nice.
                      sigpic

Comment

Cville is awesome.

I am here.

That's all you need to know.
                        1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Working...
                        X