X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
    I would love your M5!
    Stay tuned then...

I want something rwd. I want to have fun with that. I know Nando autox's the ix, but I kinda want to keep it stock. Why isn't the 540 any good? I know the engine has leaks pretty often, but if they were fixed would it still be bad? If I go e36 I want an M3, but they were more than double most 540's. If it were an E30, it would have to be swapped. I want something to start out with. I read somewhere that E34 and E36 chasiss weigh the same, it is the E34 lux stuff that makes it heavy.
    540 engine in an E34 isn't really too fast, and not worth the weight penalty up front. Also a mx whore. An E36 325iS is an AWESOME platform. Sure, it's not an M3, but it's still a great platform to start with that you can really expand upon up to and beyond M3 limits.

Comment

I will say that as a track car, my somewhat prepped E30 was far less fun to drive than my E36 is. Way slower, worse brakes, incompetent suspension, super slow steering....it is no comparison. An E36 with similar mods is way faster and more fun on track, and my E36 with the coils and sticky tires is just silly fun.

Come out to the track day!
      2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
      95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
      98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

That is my thought, my ix is a hell of a lot of fun to drive, but I can feel it under steer. After listening to you and DinanM3Atl about the e36 v. e30, I really think the e36 would be a better place to spend my money. However, I like the way the E30 looks a lot better, the e36 M is a lot better looking than a regular e36. I know looks have nothing to do with lap times, but I do have to enjoy looking at the car I drive. I could add the M body parts to a non-m, but it is expensive for factory parts and I have had my share of replica body shit.

I think I may leave the IX at home with my brother until I graduate. I guess an E36 is what I am looking for, an E34 M5 may change my mind though.

I am going to try and make the track day, I may be out of town though :(

Comment

Isn't the OBD1 e36 325is a favorite track choice? 92-95 would also be the cheap end of e36s

Comment

That is my thought, my ix is a hell of a lot of fun to drive, but I can feel it under steer. After listening to you and DinanM3Atl about the e36 v. e30, I really think the e36 would be a better place to spend my money. However, I like the way the E30 looks a lot better, the e36 M is a lot better looking than a regular e36. I know looks have nothing to do with lap times, but I do have to enjoy looking at the car I drive. I could add the M body parts to a non-m, but it is expensive for factory parts and I have had my share of replica body shit.

I think I may leave the IX at home with my brother until I graduate. I guess an E36 is what I am looking for, an E34 M5 may change my mind though.

I am going to try and make the track day, I may be out of town though :(
            Good plan. You definitely want to drive one of each though, a well prepped E30 and E36, and then decide.

Why would you need to leave your car at home?

Originally posted by colorado_cabrio View Post
            Isn't the OBD1 e36 325is a favorite track choice? 92-95 would also be the cheap end of e36s
            Yup, very much so.
            2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
            98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
              Good plan. You definitely want to drive one of each though, a well prepped E30 and E36, and then decide.

Why would you need to leave your car at home?

Yup, very much so.
              I am moving 900 miles away for school. Parking is an extra 300 a semester for another car.

If I can make the track day I would love a ride in your car if it is ok.

Comment

I am moving 900 miles away for school. Parking is an extra 300 a semester for another car.

If I can make the track day I would love a ride in your car if it is ok.
                Absolutely! I'm planning on doing another day or two until I also move 1500miles away for school, so if this one doesn't work there's always another. Where are you going and studying?
                2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Absolutely! I'm planning on doing another day or two until I also move 1500miles away for school, so if this one doesn't work there's always another. Where are you going and studying?
                  New Mexico stat University for Mechanical Engineering. I wanted to go to Georgia Tech so damn bad, but I couldn't afford it. I will probably be going there for a masters, New Mexico state has a good engineering program, but GT has one of the best in the country if not the world.

Comment

New Mexico stat University for Mechanical Engineering. I wanted to go to Georgia Tech so damn bad, but I couldn't afford it. I will probably be going there for a masters, New Mexico state has a good engineering program, but GT has one of the best in the country if not the world.
                    I might be a bit biased on the GT, but I wasn't really thrilled with the place for a variety of reasons after visiting their ME program. As far as rankings and program perception go, it's not in the same league as Michigan, Caltech, Berkeley, Stanford, MIT, etc. It's getting more and more recognition, but it's not there yet. It is definitely an excellent school.

Fun fact about engineering grad school pretty much anywhere: say you're going for a PhD, they will almost always fully fund you. You also don't have to get the phd, you can leave after a masters. Michigan fully funds everyone they accept for 5 years at a good grad student stipend, regardless if you leave after the masters or not.
                    2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                    98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

It isn't quite Caltech, but is definitely a good school.

I didn't know the school would fund it, I know that if you go back for a masters your work place will generally fund it though.

Comment

It isn't quite Caltech, but is definitely a good school.

I didn't know the school would fund it, I know that if you go back for a masters your work place will generally fund it though.
                        That's less and less common now that many many schools offer a combined 5 year BS/MS program.

Still true for MBA, less so for MS in engineering.
                        2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                        98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

I was looking around on Bimmerforums and came across this guy.
                          Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

4th post is me.

Comment

The retard is strong with him.
                            2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                            98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

The retard is strong with him.
                              Honest to God, if you could get an E30 M3 with low miles and a great maintenance history for 4k or less I would own one right now.

Comment

1. Sell iX to silly colorado hipsters that can't drive in the winter.
                                2. Buy E36 325/328 and have more fun, more comfort, and an uglier car
                                3. Graduate school before you do any of that.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Working...
                                X