Thoughts/Opinions?
Collapse
X
-
OK, I dont have the exact meeting place. As of now it is "golden" haha. I will keep you posted. -
Are you meeting him at his place? Unless there is an exact copy in Golden it should be the same car. If you are meeting at the apt complex I will glady go along.Leave a comment:
-
Well, the owner bailed on meeting me today, but we have a time for tomorrow (wednesday) at about 7:30 ish PM. So, if you are available, that would be great to have you there when we look at it.Leave a comment:
-
M20 motor swaps aren't bad and are doable in a day. I would definitely get his price down due to the mileage. it's got 284k, and he advertises that it will go "well into +300k", so what's that mean, you have got "well into" 16k miles left in that poor engine?Leave a comment:
-
That car lives in the same apartment complex as me, sadly I don't have time tomorrow to check it out with you. If you want to check it out again on wednesday then let me know.Leave a comment:
-
If that doesn't work out for you let me know. The m20s are cheap and not overly complicated to rebuild. I'd drive it home.
Never know till you are there - Good luck
This could help too -For example
Leave a comment:
-
Looks like a good car. I would give it a serious look. It is getting up there in terms of mileage but, like Bimmerman said m20's are cheap.Leave a comment:
-
Cool cool. Only problem is that apparently there are a few other people trying to see the car also. So, who knows about talking him down. Whatever. I guess also the fact that the timing belt and pump need to be done should also drop it a bit.Leave a comment:
-
also, motor rebuild really isn't worth it unless you're doing a stroker. It's cheaper and more cost effective to just swap in a more higher performance or lower mile motor.Leave a comment:
-
Honestly, I'd buy it if it drives right. My car burned a quart of oil every 400ish miles, and the motor was plenty strong enough for autocross and DD and HPDE use. It wasn't the strongest M20, but it acquitted itself well. I'd ask the seller how many miles it takes to burn through a quart. An M20 is super cheap to buy/reinstall, like $300 cheap if that. Rebuilds aren't that bad either. If it drives straight, has good body, motor passes emissions, tires aren't shot....I see no reason not to. Use the miles and oil consumption to bargain down to ~$2250-$2500.Going to check this out tomorrow!
I think it looks great! I am however concerned with the mileage and the autocrossing future the car will have. Do I need to do a top end rebuild? Possibly even a whole motor rebuild? Is it just cheaper to get a new donor motor? I have done some tranny work, LSD installs, timing belts, water pumps and all that but have never rebuilt a motor or a top end...how hard is it?
Anyways, I will let you know how it goes. I'm going to be checking it out around lunch tomorrow.
Also, my car's oil consumption was only truly bad in cold temps. During the summer, same 20w50, car burned a quart every 1000-1500 miles. Kinda odd.Leave a comment:
-
Thoughts/Opinions?
Going to check this out tomorrow!
I think it looks great! I am however concerned with the mileage and the autocrossing future the car will have. Do I need to do a top end rebuild? Possibly even a whole motor rebuild? Is it just cheaper to get a new donor motor? I have done some tranny work, LSD installs, timing belts, water pumps and all that but have never rebuilt a motor or a top end...how hard is it?
Anyways, I will let you know how it goes. I'm going to be checking it out around lunch tomorrow.Tags: None

Leave a comment: