Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ahrensNW View Post
    ...How much should I expect to pay for an aluminum exhaust post header
    It's not how much you pay, but how many times you'll pay it.
    '91 325i

Comment

Originally posted by Nader393 View Post
      Are you speaking in terms of durability? It makes sense that it'd be a bit more brittle.
      Hank Ahrens
      1984 Alpine Coupe
      1978 911sc

Comment

Originally posted by Nader393 View Post

Isolate and support and it’ll be fine. I’m only eight months in, but not one single issue.

Comment

I'm trying to keep this car as light as possible. Right down to the exhaust.

My whole exhaust (from the trans back, including resonator and muffler) weighs 15 lbs. from the OEM header flanges to the tip its 28.5 lbs. down from 60.5 lbs.

Comment

I talked to toes and he might have one for me, I'll drop you a PM if I need it.

I've been digging into this 24v swap I have and it's actually not gonna take much to get it running. I only need to source that throttle body and have someone fab up an exhaust.

Any recommendations? I'm trying to keep this car as light as possible. Right down to the exhaust. How much should I expect to pay for an aluminum exhaust post header
            i'd expect a full exhaust to run you no less than $1200 especially if you're going aluminum - do they even make aluminum exhaust? i figured it was all stainless
            sigpic

4 doors.. so much room for activities!

IG @bluebombr

Transaction Feedback:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=323622

Comment

Originally posted by adam.nonis View Post
              Isolate and support and it’ll be fine. I’m only eight months in, but not one single issue.
              Maybe, if you're doing it yourself and you know what you're doing. I wouldn't trust the local muffler shops to get it right. I've had multiple disappointments with exhaust projects on several of my vehicles. And that's just basic stuff.

Aluminum exhaust should be the last consideration for weight savings. I'd focus on unsprung and rotational weight first, then weight up high. Exhaust is low and center, not worth it. When (not if) an Al exhaust fails, it's a hassle. Noise, fumes, jacking up the car to reach it, etc.
              '91 325i

Comment

Originally posted by adam.nonis View Post
                My whole exhaust (from the trans back, including resonator and muffler) weighs 15 lbs. from the OEM header flanges to the tip its 28.5 lbs. down from 60.5 lbs.
                I can vouch for this thing. Adam's work is beyond amazing.

Hank, get in touch with Adam. He can build you what you need.
                -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
                91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
                08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
                04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
                Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
                Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Not trying to start any arguments. Just saying it can be done, and with proper prior planning, longevity shouldn’t be an issue. Merits of where you save weight can be left up to everyone else.

Have a great day

Comment

Overall this car has lost most of the weight I can easily remove. It will have a riveted sunroof panel, it's completely stripped aside from the dash, no insulation to be found, I have a pc680 in the rear, no power steering. and a manual brake box. Transmission is a g260, further bringing the weight down. For now, the m52 swap will be a place saver until the k24 swap details are hammered out.
                    I'll be ordering a set of konig dekagram, 12.3 lbs in 15x8 so I should be good there. I'll still have my mtechnicas for all the stanz when I want it.

Anyone have an idea of how much the weight difference would be between Al and stainless? If durability isn't an issue running poly mounts, then it's pretty much settled.
                    Hank Ahrens
                    1984 Alpine Coupe
                    1978 911sc

Comment

Anyone have an idea of how much the weight difference would be between Al and stainless? If durability isn't an issue running poly mounts, then it's pretty much settled.
                      Sounds like about 30 pounds based on Adam's post, using stock headers. Probably less if you go k24 and find a light pair of headers.
                      Last edited by Metallated; 12-07-2018, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Is aluminum pipe thickness similar to a stainless pipe? Or ️would stainless be thinner wall?

Edit:
                        I'd imagine most of the ️Savings would be in the resonators, muffler and headers themselves, not the actual pipes
                        -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                        08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                        318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                        '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                        Originally posted by roguetoaster
                        Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

PNW Chit Chat thread

Originally posted by DER E30 View Post
                          Is aluminum pipe thickness similar to a stainless pipe? Or ️would stainless be thinner wall?

Edit:
                          I'd imagine most of the ️Savings would be in the resonators, muffler and headers themselves, not the actual pipes

The aluminum I used was .070” thick (1.8mm intercooler piping kits) and stainless is usually 16g (.0625”) or, more commonly, 18g (.05”)

I “think” I parsed out the weight differences between each of the components in my build thread. I also used stainless from the OEM manifold flanges to the back of the trans, and aluminum from there back (including resonator and muffler).

Comment

How much do YOU weigh? It’s cheap and easy weight reduction to get the driver lighter.

The other to remember is aero. No matter how light you get it, you’re still shoving a brick through the air. Work on air flow around and THROUGH the car at speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                            2016 Ford Flex
                            2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

If I were building a lightweight project car, I'd get a fiberglass hood and a shortened side-dump exhaust. Like this one I fabbed up (from collector back) for my Alfa race car. I had to go side-dump after fitting a sliding block rear suspension that obstructed the normal exhaust route. Inadvertently saved many pounds. This is an older picture, I've since replaced that muffler with a smaller 4" round Magnaflow that's lighter and minimally louder. Exhaust is laid out about where it attaches to the engine, to show how far back it exits out the side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2760.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	7198458
                              '91 325i

Comment

Yup, a few of the PRO3 guys went side dump as well. Thought about it myself when we installed the M30, but then worried about noise level at the track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                                2016 Ford Flex
                                2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Working...
                                X