No announcement yet.

PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe the previous owner hacked the hell out of the harness & I think I'll just sell this stock unit, and pay Luke to do a real install. No music in the car for up to 6 months blows.
    Originally posted by James Crivellone
    1) The internet is NOT serious business.

Comment

Yeah. I would have to say that my new stereo is bar none the best thing I have done to my car. Only cost me $115 too

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
        Yeah. I would have to say that my new stereo is bar none the best thing I have done to my car. Only cost me $115 too
        I made a thread in the Audio - section. Maybe someone can chime in on where to hook things up, but I know the PO ran an amp / sub system so I expect this to be a total lost.

Comment

Jay, bring your shit to the BBQ. I will help you install it there.
          '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

I'm in the same boat. The stereo started to work intermittently, then died altogether. I pulled it to find a complete cluster fuck of wires. Need to make a run up to Chehalis and have Luke fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith M View Post
              I'm in the same boat. The stereo started to work intermittently, then died altogether. I pulled it to find a complete cluster fuck of wires. Need to make a run up to Chehalis and have Luke fix it.
              Think I can crash your house Friday? Teach me to do the Valve Adjustment? This Youtube video has me worried when turning the valves each time.

Edit: Cam Lobes are what freak me out :(
              Last edited by HarukoE30; 03-19-2012, 06:58 PM. Reason: edit

Comment

The valves aren't bad. just take your time and you will be fine. The hard part is keeping it at the right position while you tighten the nut in the rocker

Comment

The valves aren't bad. just take your time and you will be fine. The hard part is keeping it at the right position while you tighten the nut in the rocker
                  It's turning 120 degrees that freaks me out toes. You get that wrong and can seriously mess things up.

Comment

Is this on a m20? Its simple really once you loosen the nut up and figure out how it works. If you understand the basics the rest is simple

Comment

Haruko, you really don't need to be that precise. Just make sure that, for whatever rocker you're working on, that the cam lobe is pointing down.
                      Originally posted by 5Toes
                      bux bux bux. Im all about the bux Mr. Autism

Comment

I do mine, and I just make sure the round part of the camshaft is touching the rocker.

Theres like 240 degrees of "flat" cam, the rest is the lobe.

Comment

Is this on a m20? Its simple really once you loosen the nut up and figure out how it works. If you understand the basics the rest is simple
                          Yup my M20, I will suck it up and give it a try on Wednesday. It needs to be done, just don't want to R3v this new baby.

Originally posted by Eta power View Post
                          Haruko, you really don't need to be that precise. Just make sure that, for whatever rocker you're working on, that the cam lobe is pointing down.
                          I really need to take a look and spot exactly what the cam lobe looks like so I know. This is my first time taking off the valve cover.

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
                          Jay, bring your shit to the BBQ. I will help you install it there.
                          OMG really? :shock:

Comment

Haruko, dotn worry you will do it fine. My first time John Parker showed me how to do two and I did the rest.

When you take the VC off it will all make sense. The cam rotates and the lobes push the rocker up.

YOu are adjusting the pace between the rocker's eccentric and and the valve itself. I did mine to .008 last time and it quieted them up quite a bit. Some guys on bimmerforums, and hear run them tighter for 10's of thousands of miles and they are fine. Actually Jlevie runs his tighter than the Bentley spec on his SpecE30 car... and he knows what he is doing.

It should take you 30 minutes. Just blip the starter when you need to rotate the cam to do another valve.

I recommend making a little paper chart with intake and exhaust valve for each cylinder. I used a piece of plain paper and wrote 1-6 with 2 circles under each number and checked them off as I went

Comment

Originally posted by HarukoE30 View Post
                              OMG really? :shock:
                              Yes sir. It's really not that intimidating once you've done it a few times. I did Rick's and his harness was FUCKED. I'm sure we can figure yours out.
                              '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

You did a motor and five speed swap so you'll be fine. There is a sequence in the Bentley that you can follow.

Comment

Working...
                                X