No announcement yet.

PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next year 100% though, definitely going next year.
    Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
    2013 Zboard San Francisco Special
    2010 Buell XB9SX
    2009 Harley-Davidson 883 Iron - "Xerces"
    1991 BMW 362iS Touring - "Stephanie/The Death Machine 2.0"
    1974 Honda CB360/CL360 Scrambler Project
    1971 Honda Trail 90 - "Stephen Parish"
    2008 Saab 9-3 Convertible
    2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

Anyone here work at one of the Seattle area dealers? I am looking for the inside scoop on when they are going to get some airbags so in the event that I am in an accident in my X5, I don't get a face full of shrapnel.
      Originally posted by Sonny
      I am a meme for our community.

Comment

Originally posted by OldDrunkenSailor View Post
        Next year 100% though, definitely going next year.
        '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

Two weeks ago I was told that it was a few weeks from done. I of course asked what the bill is looking like and haven't heard back.

Either way, I can't make the picnic this year, gonna go to Italy and Switzerland and be an idiot on a scooter for a few weeks. If it's done in time I'd let one of you fellas take it in my stead though.
          Weeeeeaaaak, Switzerland sucks I was just there. Tacoma is way better.

Dibs though if it's done.
          Last edited by Mlarsen; 06-02-2015, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJosh View Post
            Anyone here work at one of the Seattle area dealers? I am looking for the inside scoop on when they are going to get some airbags so in the event that I am in an accident in my X5, I don't get a face full of shrapnel.
            That's a good question. looks like the newest round of recalls added the driver side for my e46 so now both are still in need of replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by IronJoe View Post
              Finally got the stupid parts to fix my M3, which is why I missed Burgers n Bimmers. Apparently the S14 shearing alternator brackets is a fairly common occurrence, even though I replaced the bushings a few years ago.

Switching to poly bushings this time around which I have read helps.

This happened to me, too. Ended up having to remove the timing case cover. Yippee. I also switched to poly bushings and upgraded the bolt to 10.9. I haven't had an issue since.

Comment

price drop http://kpr.craigslist.org/cto/5042518927.html

Comment

Originally posted by DrJosh View Post
                  Not sure when they'll get the airbags, but at least your X5 is covered. BMW is only recalling mid-02 production through 03 production 5 series.

I have a hard time believing that the 01-mid 02 production 5 series aren't affected even though some other BMW models are covered starting in 2000 and 01-03 all share the same post facelift steering wheel design.
                  1988 BMW 325iX - Lachssilber/Cardinal - Gone
                  2001 BMW M5 - Anthracite/Black Heritage
                  1999 Toyota 4Runner - White/Oak

Comment

After hearing what the VP of Takata said today at the hearing, I have no hope. It is the ammonium nitrate used in the bags coupled with poor quality control that is the problem. Even if I got a replacement bag, it is still filled with the same shit made by the same idiots. The VP said that cars that have had theirs replaced already due to the recall are going to need them replaced again, because they don't actually fix the issue, which is as over time the ammonium nitrate absorbs moisture and the explosion grows more violent, breaking the poorly built canisters and sending shrapnel into the occupants bodies. Short of redesigning the entire airbag assembly there is no actual fix. If one of the other companies steps up and makes us an airbag without ammonium nitrate we will be golden, such as TRW or Autoliv. I have done a tone of research, and all I have found has just pissed me off. Petri-DN is probably the airbag in the earlier model 5/X5s, and is the manufacturer for facelift X5s. Problem is, Petri is owned by Takata, and I am willing to bet they used the exact same shit just under a different name, and have not yet been found out, and I doubt Takata is going to volunteer that info since it appears that they have known about this issue for a few years now and only just on the 20th admitted there might be a defect. And the problem gets worse as time goes on.

VW/AUDI and MB use Petri, and I bet the recall list is about to get a whole lot longer if they use the same materials in the daughter company.

TLDR, it is a shit show with no hope in the near future, nor the long future if Takatas stock value keeps plummeting.

Time to bring the E30 out for DD duty again.
                    Originally posted by Sonny
                    I am a meme for our community.

Comment

Mtech1 FTW!
                      -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                      08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                      318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                      '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                      Originally posted by roguetoaster
                      Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Any of you with a factory IS spoiler wanna help me make a template? Dont really feel like deciphering bmws hard to follow instructions that are in german. Figuring its easier just to find an IS decklid, remove the spoiler, and mark all the holes after cutting out a paper the size of the trunk.

edit: i suck at spelling
                        Last edited by Wschnitz; 06-03-2015, 12:16 PM.
                        1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                        willschnitz

Comment

Aren't they glued on? I don't think there are any "wholes" to be made.
                          Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
                          2013 Zboard San Francisco Special
                          2010 Buell XB9SX
                          2009 Harley-Davidson 883 Iron - "Xerces"
                          1991 BMW 362iS Touring - "Stephanie/The Death Machine 2.0"
                          1974 Honda CB360/CL360 Scrambler Project
                          1971 Honda Trail 90 - "Stephen Parish"
                          2008 Saab 9-3 Convertible
                          2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

Aren't they glued on? I don't think there are any "wholes" to be made.
                            Nope there are 5-6 studs on the bottom of the spoiler, If you lift up the trunklid on an E30 youll see the circular holes for tightening the little plastic nuts.
                            willschnitz

Comment

Going to ditch airbag in my m3, just due to fact its likely to not work or function properly. Regardless of not being affected. Id assume most e30 bags wont work either

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

You mean you didnt already replace the ugly airbag wheel with an E36 Mtech 2?
                                willschnitz

Comment

Working...
                                X