OFFICAL: HPF Dyno Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MickeyFinn503 View Post
    It was an '02 M3. It's a turbo S54 with ITB's and velocity stacks, IIRC. It's definitely a show car though.

There, fixed it for you..

Not to be a dick, "race car" means that it actually was built for a class to race in. Theirs is purely an advertising/demonstration car (ask the owner.)

I have some pics and vid's I will try to post up. One thing about a dyno, it doesn't lie.. People can bench race all they want, but the reality is what that printout says. I felt bad for the guy who dumped all the money in to the Metric Mechanic rebuild, but then again I didn't, because his car was beautiful to look at.

Horsepower/Torque are great, but unless you are racing in a straight line or on a dyno, it doesn't mean $hit. Whereas if you got a sweet looking ride (which there was countless of them yesterday), everybody can see that instantly.

So even though there where a lot of people a little let down by the number their car put up, it's still just fun to see & hear all the different motor combinations, exhaust..etc running at full throttle; who cares if your car put down 90 or 900.
    Last edited by djjerme; 10-23-2011, 09:26 AM.
    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
    2016 Ford Flex
    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
      So even though there where a lot of people a little let down by the number their car put up, it's still just fun to see & hear all the different motor combinations, exhaust..etc running at full throttle; who cares if your car put down 90 or 900.
      hey! why are you calling me out :rofl:

I was very happy with my 90whp. I was saying it all day, dynos are heartbreakers, but for me I wasn't really worried as Ive only owned the car for a few weeks. Its a starting point for me to see how the motor responds to the mods I plan on doing.

FWIW, an S14 motor is rated at ~192bhp from the factory. IronJoes car only has chip and his put down 160whp, so his horsepower was spot on , assuming a 20% drivetrain loss. His torque was low though.
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

That guy, Eric, with the red E30 M3 and his $18k motor was a 2.5l built my Metric Mechanic. However, he was running his stock software so that could have been the issue. But then again, it did seem to run fine around town for him. Either way, Eric was super pissed.

Comment

18k engine and those numbers I too would be pissed
          Originally posted by bmwm42
          PNW vulture pm me for parts
          Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

^^ David, I think pissed is an understatement. It sounded healthy but his last two pulls were only ~111whp, so WTF?
            '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by DeM3n View Post
              That guy, Eric, with the red E30 M3 and his $18k motor was a 2.5l built my Metric Mechanic. However, he was running his stock software so that could have been the issue. But then again, it did seem to run fine around town for him. Either way, Eric was super pissed.
              Wow, really? I think I would have cried my life away after spending THAT much money, and getting those results. Wow.
              M Coupe

Comment

Hpfm3

-Alex
                sigpic

Comment

Awesome day.

I made 160whp, was hoping for more but not disappointed at all. For a 198k motor with no rebuild, it's a champ. Accounting for losses it's pretty much on par for a stock S14... Mine has a Conforti chip but I may be swapping that out now for the Miller MAF.
                  '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

There could be other reason's too that his (Eric's) motor was down on power.. Not knowing anything about anything on his car; the long block is only half the equation. It could be wrong size injectors, fuel pump or AFM, bad timing, or incorrect cam setting, slippage in the clutch..etc.

While 18k is a large chunk to drop on a motor, he may have something else that is keeping the motor from breathing, remember that in it's basic form, an engine is an air pump, and as long as he has compression, there is not much more the short block can do.

I just get the feeling there is something missing from the equation that perhaps will be solved later on. Hopeful for all those involved..
                    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                    2016 Ford Flex
                    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

LOL talk about disappointment! 3.5L with a MAF and engine management and I still only hit 160whp. The guy before me with the exact same setup put down 25 more hp.

Comment

the M3 also only had 300 miles since the rebuild.
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I started a picture thread in members rides. You guys should post yours up. I didnt take many. Anybody get some videos?

-Mac
                          Last edited by MacBudd541; 10-24-2011, 10:35 AM.
                          1989 325i Alpine s52 coupe
                          2003 540i M-Sport 6 speed
                          2003 X5 3.0

Comment

I didn't get many pics at all. The area was too compact for the lens I was using so I didn't get many pics. I'll search for the vids, though. I know Chris was taking lots of video.

Comment

what is the difference in the engines btw demons and mac s52s i know davids has the schricks and straight pipe but whatelse? just curious as to the difference btw them
                              Originally posted by bmwm42
                              PNW vulture pm me for parts
                              Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

mine has magic parts?
                                1989 325i Alpine s52 coupe
                                2003 540i M-Sport 6 speed
                                2003 X5 3.0

Comment

Working...
                                X