"Defective Exhaust" ticket...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Defective Exhaust" ticket...

Jesus... everyone once in a while the State Patrol re-affirms my belief that they can be complete douches.

On my normal way home I pass through the Mt. Baker tunnel on I-90 before entering the floating bridge Eastbound. I live on Mercer Island so I normally take the center span which has zero traffic.

I normally blast through the tunnel and carefully observe the speed limit exiting the tunnel and on the floating bridge.

Sure enough, the trooper was in the shoulder half-way across the bridge as I smuggly passed him in the far lane at the speed limit... and then blipped my throttle.

I watched him in the rearview as he juggled his speed gun and then came after me.

He said it was illegal to modify a stock exhaust and wrote me for a defective exhaust. $134. Mind you, in the realm of modified exhausts mine is NOT loud. Headers, 2 1/2" to a borla resonator and large maganaflow muffler.

I plan to challenge. Any experience out there?

Maybe he's jealous his cruiser isn't M20 powered...
    -1976 2002 daily (Sold)
    -1986 528e 5 speed daily

Comment

You can pretty much throw that ticket in the trash, Go to the court date and they wont enforce it. E30s are pretty much all older then 25 years old now and are exempt from the ticket. As long as you have a 91 or older your fine.
      1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
      willschnitz

Comment

^^^yup

(3) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle not equipped as required by this subsection, or which has been amplified as prohibited by this subsection. A court may dismiss an infraction notice for a violation of this subsection if there is reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was not operated in violation of this subsection.

This subsection (3) does not apply to vehicles twenty-five or more years old or to passenger vehicles being operated off the highways in an organized racing or competitive event conducted by a recognized sanctioning body.

Comment

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
          ^^^yup

This subsection (3) does not apply to vehicles twenty-five or more years old or to passenger vehicles being operated off the highways in an organized racing or competitive event conducted by a recognized sanctioning body.

I am obviously going to contest this citation. For science, of course...
          Last edited by hoveringuy; 03-06-2015, 04:39 PM.

Comment

And next time don't blip the "fuck da po-leese" pedal right in front of a cop.

Comment

Originally posted by Navarone View Post
              And next time don't blip the "fuck da po-leese" pedal right in front of a cop.
              ^^^^This
              Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

dude its easy

send it in plead not guilty

show up in court

"your honor, please prove it"

Comment

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
                  ^^^yup

(3) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle not equipped as required by this subsection, or which has been amplified as prohibited by this subsection. A court may dismiss an infraction notice for a violation of this subsection if there is reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was not operated in violation of this subsection.

But sir, my new muffler doesn't "amplify" anything! It just lets it free!
                  -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                  08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                  318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                  '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                  Originally posted by roguetoaster
                  Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Once got that ticket while also getting speeding ticket. I went and contested that and it got dropped.

"If I was coming up that fast, your honor. I'm sure he heard me coming." In the great city of Edmonds.
                    clutchCTRL!
                    Move with a purpose.
                    - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                    - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                    - 2000 323i AT
                    2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Yes! Good news. Just got one of these tickets as well. Here I come court.

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post

Not quite the right attitude you want to take with a judge IMHO.
                        Originally posted by Matt-B
                        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
                          dude its easy

send it in plead not guilty

show up in court

Your inexperience in real life situations is very apparent.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoJ's View Post
                            Your inexperience in real life situations is very apparent.
                            so true

Comment

Thats what the judge in Snohomish county told me for my ticket

I appeared in court and was one of the last cases called, after many lawyers and other tickets.

The judge asked me if I had an interest in civics, I replied yes. He went on to tell me that the police report for my ticket DID NOT have substantial evidence to try me and prove I was guilty of the infraction.

The judge then asked me if I wanted to provide a testimony, but advised that if I did anything I said would of course be used against me. I did not give a testimony.

The judge then made his ruling, not guilty of exhaust infraction, and I left the courthouse

This is what happened TO ME IN REAL LIFE, in a Snohomish county district court.

Comment

Working...
                              X