Getrag 260 reseal HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getrag 260 reseal HELP

Does someone know who I can find in the northwest that works on getrag 260 transmissions. The trans that I have was rebuilt and is smooth as silk but has sprung a leak. Who knows who can reseal it preferably in Oregon, but if I have to I can get it anywhere in the N.W.

Getrags were used by many manufacturers. Any decent transmission shop should be able to do it.

Comment

You are incorrect. Whether Its parts or expertise ,there are very few shops that do them. Try to get a 260 rebuilt, especially in the northwest. Please let me know if you find one that dosen't send it to N.Y. or someplace far away that the freight is prohibitive.

Comment

Resealing is an easy 30 min DIY job with some basic tools.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Where is it leaking? The two rear seals are fairly DIY.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Comment

Wow, after almost 4 weeks everyone has 2 cents. My question was who reseals these in the N.W. The trans was rebuilt with new sycros and all seals by a fellow in Calif who has done 3 for me over a period of time. This particular one started leaking shortly after it was put in service. The tech who diagnosed it thought the leak was from the center gasket where the two main pieces of the case come together. I was hoping that I could take it to someone closer to have it resealed. It seems to make sense to do all the seals (front ,rear, and case ) so that its for sure fixed. I am not a tech although I do a lot of work on my cars. This is over my head and I am willing to pay to get it done. So back to my original question, does anyone know someone in the N.W.,preferably Oregon, who can do the job?

Comment

Originally posted by hillbarry View Post
                Wow, after almost 4 weeks everyone has 2 cents. My question was who reseals these in the N.W. The trans was rebuilt with new sycros and all seals by a fellow in Calif who has done 3 for me over a period of time. This particular one started leaking shortly after it was put in service. The tech who diagnosed it thought the leak was from the center gasket where the two main pieces of the case come together. I was hoping that I could take it to someone closer to have it resealed. It seems to make sense to do all the seals (front ,rear, and case ) so that its for sure fixed. I am not a tech although I do a lot of work on my cars. This is over my head and I am willing to pay to get it done. So back to my original question, does anyone know someone in the N.W.,preferably Oregon, who can do the job?
                Can you point me in the direction of the California guy that did the rebuild for you? Thanks and good luck

Comment

Originally posted by hillbarry View Post
                  The tech who diagnosed it thought the leak was from the center gasket where the two main pieces of the case come together.
                  That's why I asked. It takes special tools to split the case, not any shop can do it. They can also be deceiving in where the leak is, the Getrags like to leak out of the vent when under braking. In the race cars we have to put a hose on them and run it up into the engine bay, or about 10hr into a 14hr race we are dangerously low on fluid, and it's all over the bottom of the car. I would suggest cleaning it up really well and put a little UV dye in the trans fluid to find the exact location of the leak. It's not common for the case halves to leak.

john@m20guru.com
                  Links:
                  Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Thanks that is great advice Forced Firebird . I took the trans out and replaced it with another rebuild but the dye probably is the best diagnostic I,ve heard of.

Comment

Working...
                    X