No announcement yet.

No more MT BMWs in 2019 - and why I'll never buy anything past an EXX series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1) MT transmissions do not kill people, cause cancer, brain damage, etc - like leaded gasoline did (AT might make you brain dead though, lol). So a pretty poor comparison. It's more like how future cars will be self-driving only, because why do anything in a car like shift gears or steer? the car does it better anyway. see my point?

2) sure, people who bought used E30s 20 years ago couldn't buy a new BMW then. But what happens over time? Every single BMW I've had since has been newer & more expensive. It's possible, even likely, that eventually I would buy a new one (I could afford one, but - meh). I make like 10x as much money as I did when I bought my E30, but since they literally do not make a single car that I would want to buy now, that possibility is gone.

So it doesn't follow that BMW shouldn't care about the 2nd hand market, because those are the people who already love BMWs and are more likely to choose that brand first if they are in the market for a new car.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

We bought my wife’s Audi A3 brand new, and I don’t really enjoy driving it. The bazillion speed automatic is sluggish shifting in sport mode, likes to hunt in auto mode, and the lag/throttle response is unpredictable at best.

Fun fact though, her A3 hatch is 1 inch in each direction bigger than my E30 Touring.

I’ll never buy brand new for me, because I like changing cars frequently and if you do that with brand new, you’re pissing away money. But for my wife, I’ll buy new because she’ll drive it for a decade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
      2016 Ford Flex
      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
        Should leaded fuel still be a choice?
        This is what you call "reduction to the absurd"

IG @turbovarg
        '91 318is, M20 turbo
        [CoTM: 4-18]
        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
        - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
          This is what you call "reduction to the absurd"
          I will agree with you there, I could have used a better example.
          Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

May have been mentioned but the 1/2 series will still be available in manual transmission.

I get what BMW is doing, and the new 8-speed paddle shifter is pretty fun. Have also driven a new A4 with their paddle shifter and felt like a fun car..

But not nearly as fun as the E30.

My daily commute is 5 miles of hairpin corners, a few chicane round-a-bounts, and hills on mostly empty 2-lane country roads followed by a short highway section. No stop lights and I usually go door-to door without any traffic.

To drive the E30 at the same speed and smoothness as my wife drives her X5 or everyone else drives their 6000lb full sized pickups requires well-matched downshifts and fun/safe turn-in/weight transfers.

After 15 years of daily driving E30s, this is still fun for me. Almost as fun as riding a motorcycle.

When it's no longer fun or I can no longer physically use a clutch I'll probably get a 4runner or something and call it a day, but until then I don't really see the point of making my life less enjoyable by driving something other than an E30.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post

So it doesn't follow that BMW shouldn't care about the 2nd hand market, because those are the people who already love BMWs and are more likely to choose that brand first if they are in the market for a new car.
              Do you buy NEW BMW's? That's the issue, someone has to buy them, and if we don't (which we... don't) nobody will, especially the new car buyer.

Had a cup of coffee with my friend at BMW yesterday, number one vehicle sold at his dealership? X3, overall take of manual transmission vehicles as a new car buyer? less than 1%

Yes, BMW cares about its enthusiasts, but what should they do? Build a bunch of 6 speed manual 340's which nobody will buy new, let them sit for years and sell at a discounted rate to us?

I see your point, but from a marketing/sales perspective the numbers just don't add up.

Comment

Nobody buys new Bmw's.

The overwhelming majority are leased by folks looking for an image presentation, whether it’s work related or personal reasons. Leased cars are overwhelmingly automatic as they are easier to resale.

Here in Vancouver, where there is a new BMW on every corner, the leased percentage is in the mid 90% range according to my buddy who is a sales manager at a local BMW dealership.

There is also the federal (Canada anyways, I assume the US has the same or similar) fleet fuel economy and emissions issue. Automatics are better, especially in the high performance high fuel consumption M cars, at fuel economy and emissions control. Technology at work.

Also, enthusiasts are smart and buy used. Who the hell wants to take the hit on a new bmw after 2 years? I bought my 2012 328xit 6 speed as a 6 month old repo. I payed 28k less than the sticker price was new. It had 12k kilometres on it. (7500 miles or so.)
                Originally posted by codyep3
                I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                2010 F650gs twin
                2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone View Post
                  Do you buy NEW BMW's? That's the issue, someone has to buy them, and if we don't (which we... don't) nobody will, especially the new car buyer.

This. The cost of developing, marketing, building and delivering new cars every year is enormous, and if they don’t recover that investment the company goes under...along with the support for us broke-ass (speaking for myself!) enthusiasts.

Maybe what I get most torqued about is how BMW seems to have “walked away from what made it successful,” but what that really means is “walked away from what I found awesome about the brand and it doesn’t seem to care about that any more.” It’s a selfish, navel-gazing thing to say, really, but it’s how I feel about just about every new car in the lineup. It’s not for me. But it’s for someone. On balance, I’m really glad for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Current flame: E30 318iS Alpinweiss II slicktop / LSD - Joanne
                  The old man: 1970 2002 Polaris(ish) slicktop / rat rod - Wallace
                  The ex: E92 335i 6MT M-Sport - Betty
                  The heavy: 2001 4Runner SR5 Sport (3rd Gen) - Fred

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone View Post

Had a cup of coffee with my friend at BMW yesterday, number one vehicle sold at his dealership? X3, overall take of manual transmission vehicles as a new car buyer? less than 1%

Yes, BMW cares about its enthusiasts, but what should they do? Build a bunch of 6 speed manual 340's which nobody will buy new, let them sit for years and sell at a discounted rate to us?

I see your point, but from a marketing/sales perspective the numbers just don't add up.
                    Who says they have to build them to sit? BMW's whole manufacturing process allows for the customization of everything. They can build pretty much anything you want (for a price). Endless color, engine, drivetrain and interior choices. But 3 pedals? Oh man, that would cost too much.. ;)

The newest touted feature of the G20? The roundels now stay horizontal instead of rotating with the wheels. Are you kidding me? This is what people are paying $60k for? We already have to endure fake engine sounds and M branded everything.

And you're sure BMW hasn't completely lost it?
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The newest touted feature of the G20? The roundels now stay horizontal instead of rotating with the wheels.
                      For real? Move over Rolls Royce, BMW is trying to take over your market with the new 3 series :giggle:

IG @turbovarg
                      '91 318is, M20 turbo
                      [CoTM: 4-18]
                      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                      - updated 3-17

Comment

BMW owns Rolls Royce :p
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Who says they have to build them to sit? BMW's whole manufacturing process allows for the customization of everything. They can build pretty much anything you want (for a price). Endless color, engine, drivetrain and interior choices. But 3 pedals? Oh man, that would cost too much.. ;)
                          The irony of course is that for Europe there are 3 pedal G20s (sure - only in the diesels) - so the engineering has already been done to fit 3 pedals to whatever G20 really. If there are proposed manual 1 & 2 series, then logically there could just as easily be manual 3 series. Perhaps as an 'individual' option if uptake is too low?

Still with how big the G20 has become it's likely that the next generation 2 series coupe and GT will be the ones enthusiasts want anyway.
                          My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Here's the competition. It's called the Mission E. Saw it at Rennsport Reunion VI at Laguna Seca 1 week ago today.

Vital specs:
                            Range: 300 miles
                            Top Speed: 155 mph
                            0-62 mph: < 3.5 seconds

Talking with factory reps - to be priced to compete with Tesla

It looked killer....
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tinoe30 View Post
                              Here's the competition. It's called the Mission E. Saw it at Rennsport Reunion VI at Laguna Seca 1 week ago today.

Vital specs:
                              Range: 300 miles
                              Top Speed: 155 mph
                              0-62 mph: < 3.5 seconds

Talking with factory reps - to be priced to compete with Tesla

It looked killer....
                              It has a name now, called the Tayman, I was just invited to put a preorder deposit down of $2500. I’m considering it, but honestly would like to drive it first. It’s said to be there Tesla S killer.
                              Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

I don't know, I have a hard time believing that if a dealership ordered a 6 speed M-sport 230i, M240i, or 340i, red with black interior, and put it in the showroom that it wouldn't get any interest. Park it next to an expensive 7 series to really set it off as a sexy, fun sports car. There's bound to be at least one compulsive spender out there looking for something flashy and fun to drive, so I don't understand why BMW or its dealerships don't even try and market to those people. Somebody with $50k burning a whole in their pocket probably doesn't want to sit down with a salesman for an hour to fill out an order form and wait 6 months. They want to see and drive the car, but if they show up to a dealer and 90% of the inventory are black, white, or silver automatic 3ers and X3s then they'll just go a Ford dealership that has like seven Mustangs to choose from.
                                My Feedback

Comment

Working...
                                X