What maf should I use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What maf should I use?

In the middle of my swap and I was wondering what do y'all think about maf choices?

S52 obd1 should I keep the stock one or is there a better option for performance?

3.5" MAFS is a cool upgrade. that what i have on my E30 M50 swap

Comment

yup. I run a 3.5"

It looks like you are close!
      1991 318is sold!
      1989 325=track car--S52'd
      Durango R/T for towing.
      >>>Build thread<<<
      M235i daily driver

Comment

Older pic 3.5" is in thanks

Comment

What did you guys run upstream of the 3.5" maf?

I am putting one in mainly to use a TRM chip, and while a reducer is an easy $15 solution to adapt with my KAMotors intake, I am wondering if there is a 3.5" filter/silencer solution out there.

I'm not willing to slap on a cone filter unless I have some sort of heat shielding.

Comment

AFE makes one. Wish KAM would do a 3.5" intake!

Comment

Squid master

Which one from afe are you taking about

Comment

hasn't it been pretty well proven by now that the 3.5" MAF doesn't really do anything? You get a gain but it's mostly because you have to get a tune with it, and you'd probably gain the same power regardless.

it just seems silly that BMW could have gained an easy 10hp because they undersized the MAF, when we know BMW doesn't usually design stuff like that (and why bolt ons don't do much on BMW motors). It's not really any different than thinking you'll gain a bunch of power from switching from an M20 to M30 AFM which turned out to be basically nil.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by WannaBe30 View Post
                  Squid master

Which one from afe are you taking about

Originally posted by nando View Post
                  hasn't it been pretty well proven by now that the 3.5" MAF doesn't really do anything? You get a gain but it's mostly because you have to get a tune with it, and you'd probably gain the same power regardless.

it just seems silly that BMW could have gained an easy 10hp because they undersized the MAF, when we know BMW doesn't usually design stuff like that (and why bolt ons don't do much on BMW motors). It's not really any different than thinking you'll gain a bunch of power from switching from an M20 to M30 AFM which turned out to be basically nil.
                  I think the main draw is that the 3.5" uses a heat foil (HFM) which measures more accurately and has a wider operating range.

For E30s I recommend people just stick with the M20 AFM unless they can get a known working and tested M30 AFM for cheap. As any AFM degrades over time, updating it with new(er) and better working hardware can be worth the price in itself.
                  Last edited by squidmaster; 03-31-2014, 12:54 PM.

Comment

nando I agree, I just happened to find a TRM chip pre-owned that is designed for the 3.5" maf among other things. The maf itself is very cheap nowadays. Also I don't think I'd say that it's "proven," I haven't seen any data on the subject.
                    Last edited by butters; 03-31-2014, 12:06 PM.

Comment

meh.. the heat shield is obviously for the 540. Maybe I'll call aFe and see if they'll sell me that filter - the build-your-own filters don't appear to have an opening on the "top" like that one does.

Comment

Also the 3.5 is a lot less expensive usually and most chip tunes are for 21.5 injectors and 3.5 maf but I agree prolly no differ in performance

Comment

this thread is full of bad information. A 3.5" maf is completely useless. Look at the size of the throttle body and tell me how increasing the size of the tube leading to the throttle body will allow more air into the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by frankie591 View Post
                            this thread is full of bad information.
                            Relax, none of the posts in this thread are claiming a performance gain from the 3.5" maf. The discussion is regarding plumbing after OP stated that they went ahead with a 3.5".

Comment

Originally posted by butters View Post
                              meh.. the heat shield is obviously for the 540. Maybe I'll call aFe and see if they'll sell me that filter - the build-your-own filters don't appear to have an opening on the "top" like that one does.
                              Sorry, they have an e36 specific one for the 3.5" maf. I just copied the first google link. Check out their site. I think Turner sells their e36 3.5" maf kit as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X