No announcement yet.

1990 325is restomod project aka "Klaus"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hood is back on, I still need to adjust it, but I decided not since it will have to come back off for the swap. I just wanted it on for transport. Crazy to think that the main part of this journey will come to an end soon and I can drive it again!

Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

I threw this in another thread, but figured for the people looking here, its the most recent on my booster delimna.

Here are pictures of both, the E90 booster is slightly smaller, hard to get a measurement exactly but its definitely slimmer at the bottom, but the E83 booster tapers to the same size as the E90 booster after the first few inches.

The cleeve basically lines up exactly the same between the two, but the E83 booster is about an inch longer than the E90 one, but the E83 master is shorter than the E90 so its total length is shorter.

I am thinking if the E90 works the E83 should work but it may be just a tiny bit tighter, if the engine is back further on the firewall.

Pros of the E83 is the lines are on the correct side and you will not have to extend them around, you will have to adapt the brake lines though since the input on the MC is larger than the E30s.

In the pics I have the E60 reservoir on the E83 master, it fits and sits flat, both the E83 and E90 reservoir are both angled since they go into their cars on an angle.

E90 on left

E90 Booster

E83 Booster thickest part

E83 after the first 4 inches

Im going to try the E83 one first, if that doesnt work go over to the E90.

Comment

i decided to go with the E90 booster even though the lines are on the wrong side. Besides the fact that is slightly smaller, the threads on the E83 booster doesn't line up so I would have to drill new holes. That answers that question.

Car was loaded up to go to my buddy's shop he is going to help me with the heavy stuff.
        By for now, hopefully, by the end of the month, I will have running S54!!

Comment

Nice good luck! Btw I have found more coding to get cruise control to work if your DME was initially programmed with SMG settings, because the clutch and Gear Position Sensor need to be coded out, and I can help with coding if needed, I would just ned a partial read of the DME which I could send back your way. I hope to add the GPS code location tonight to my thread and the Cruise Control thread in the S54 subsection.
          Last edited by R3Z3N; 10-15-2018, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
            Nice good luck! Btw I have found more coding to get cruise control to work if your DME was initially programmed with SMG settings, because the clutch and Gear Position Sensor need to be coded out, and I can help with coding if needed, I would just ned a partial read of the DME which I could send back your way. I hope to add the GPS code location tonight to my thread and the Cruise Control thread in the S54 subsection.
            Thanks, I think that will have to be done after the fact, I need to buy the control module, and then Alex has my DME, (its a non SMG DME) which he is programming as well as tuning for my exhaust/intake setup.

Comment

Went thru the entire thread, this things going to be a beast when your done man. Question, did you buy a new firewall grommet or did you rob the one off your original M20 harness? Were you able to stretch it over the ECU harness plug? I'll need to do mine this weekend.

Also on the e90/ e83 boosters.. Do they have four mounting studs like a stock e30 booster? I bought a brand new 944 booster for my swap but I'm still kinda interested in learning more about these e90 booster swaps going on.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
              1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
              1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
              1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
              1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
              1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
              Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
              1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
              1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by KIRIEIW View Post
                Went thru the entire thread, this things going to be a beast when your done man. Question, did you buy a new firewall grommet or did you rob the one off your original M20 harness? Were you able to stretch it over the ECU harness plug? I'll need to do mine this weekend.

Also on the e90/ e83 boosters.. Do they have four mounting studs like a stock e30 booster? I bought a brand new 944 booster for my swap but I'm still kinda interested in learning more about these e90 booster swaps going on.
                I still have the M20 grommet, havent tried to fit that over the S54 harness yet. Hopefully it will work with massaging.

The E90 booster only has 2 mounting studs, but thats all it needs, it fits in there very tight. I put a sealant over the other two holes.

Comment

Can't wait for ya! Definitely one of my favorite threads - will be coming back lots in the future when I finally get around to swapping mine.

This car is going to be awesome!!!
                  (OO=[][]=OO)

Instagram: @e30_tac

https://www.instagram.com/e30_tac/

Comment

Finally a lot of updates, I think its a few more weeks before we are running!

Upper and lower rod bearings done, new all besian vanos done, all new gaskets and seals done, new clutch and flywheel. Rod bearings were not too bad two looked like they had some wear, this engine had the recall done on it.

She's in!! Still, a lot of work to do though.

You can see the booster is in, I used the E90 booster and master we will have to see it will be tight. I have an E60 reservoir, and we extended the brake lines over to the master since they were on the other side. Mounted the power steering reservoir it's a little low but it will be easily reachable even with the manifold.

A/C lines are run, and I used the E30 M3 overflow tank mounted where the battery area is.

Pedals are in, need to clean up the wiring.

Used the E30 Oil Cooler, put a new one in. The Z3 radiator is close but it will fit with massaging, I am using the E46 A/C compressor so it's really close. I will need to shave the water pump nut.

Power steering is connected, we actually were able to use the E36 power steering line cooler and bolted right up, its so clean looking! That was Alex's idea at Performance Eurowerks

On to the exhaust. Status Gruppe Headers, N54 Headers and an E36 M3 exhaust. I didnt do the crossover, may still do that down the road, we will see about the sound and what the dyno looks like. We used E46 hangers for the exhaust. The new tips will be welded on to kick out a bit so it will be centered

Used the E30 trans mount with E46 bushings, it was modified using Garagistics kit.

That's all for now :)

Comment

I am so jelly, this thing is looking great. You're going to really want to merge that exhaust IMO.

Were those headers from a group buy? They look great!
                      Last edited by AWDBOB; 10-26-2018, 05:47 PM.
                      1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                        I am so jelly, this thing is looking great. You're going to really want to merge that exhaust IMO.

Were those headers from a group buy? They look great!
                        I was thinking about that, I may get one anyway.

Yea I got those on a group buy, it was actually one that was screwed up because they had major delays so the people like me who waited a really long time got them super cheap. That was great for me because I didn't really need them in a hurry so I got a great deal.

My E38 was having a slumber party with the E30, need to do a suspension refresh on that car.

Comment

I was thinking of adding this.

Comment

That's the Magnaflow unit, correct? I'd be cautious of putting it right after the headers.

It may be best here: I'm sure others will chime in

45522806362_9c4631987f_c by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
                            1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                            1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                              That's the Magnaflow unit, correct? I'd be cautious of putting it right after the headers.

It may be best here: I'm sure others will chime in

45522806362_9c4631987f_c by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
                              It is, and the spot you circled is where I was thinking of putting it.

Comment

Why not right after the headers? Not entirely sure why you're adding a merge, but if its for sound reasons the closest to the headers is where I've read/heard its most effective at numbing the rasp. Totally only limited to keyboard wisdom here, so feel free to tell me otherwise.

Stoked to see so much progress being made on this build too
                                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Working...
                                X