No announcement yet.

325ix Axle Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just sold my last rebuilt axle (I had 8 on the shelf) a few days ago. Now I'm nervous to drive the iX anywhere.

I wonder how the folks still rebuilding them are getting parts? There was a supplier in NJ that Axle Express got their front iX axle parts from, but the supplier went out of business so AE stopped rebuilding them.
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
      I just sold my last rebuilt axle (I had 8 on the shelf) a few days ago. Now I'm nervous to drive the iX anywhere.

I wonder how the folks still rebuilding them are getting parts? There was a supplier in NJ that Axle Express got their front iX axle parts from, but the supplier went out of business so AE stopped rebuilding them.
      Seriously...

I think I am going to do this to correct the front axle for daily use and lower when necessary but it'd be pretty expensive so not sure yet.
      Free delivery on air ride kits, shipped in 24 hours. Shop from our huge selection of in-stock air suspension kits, coilovers, air compressors, air bags, fittings and much more.
      Last edited by Chrisbike; 04-18-2018, 06:45 PM.
      Build Thread
      https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
      Parts Thread
      https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

Comment

Originally posted by Wille30 View Post
        I found a place in Quebec, up here in Canada that will do them. I just received mine today and they look great. They had no problem doing them and the service was very good (one of the guys came to the shop on a holiday to let me drop off). The place is called A1 CV Tech http://www.a1cvtech.com/hist_an.htm. It seems like the pretty much specialize in special CV's. They do them for around $250.00 CAD per axle. The guy I talked to was Marco and was very helpful.

How are they holding up, I’m in BC and just snapped a cv joint so I need a rebuild. Trying to find the best place

Comment

I'm glad i haven't had to venture down this road yet, but with a 30 year old car it's a matter of time.

I am surprised that in 2018, there isn't just updated versions of the same shit any rebuilder could use in the axle. I mean, are they gold plated or something? what gives on the unicorn-esk demand?

Comment

Wonder if he will sell the parts? Have an ix in right now with a clicking F/L outer CV. He has a good spare right that I am going to attempt to swap the cage and bearings over to the other axle.

How different are the cages and bearings to the RWD? I have been rebuilding/packing them for some years now. If the cages and bearings are the same, wouldn't take much to purchase RWD axles and swap the parts over (except the quality new RWD axles are GKN and are about $300/side, not cost conducive).
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I am waiting for Nando to comment on the RWD CV cage and bearing question...I really hope someone comes up with a solution to this. My fear of destroying another from axle is very real especially with plans to go FI in the near future!

Comment

If not, I will be comparing in real life anyways. I have a few RWD axle cores that have decent CV's on one side or the other etc, and the front ix stuff that I will mix -match to get the client back on the road. Was just hooping another member may have already checked this. :/
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:

Comment

Don't wait for me - I've procrastinated for so long all the rebuilders have dried up. Looking to buy a 3rd set of axles - hoping to cobble one good set out of the three. :(

Funny how after all this time, CV shafts are the one part nearly impossible to replace.. Unless you happen to have $3k burning a hole in your pocket, anyway. At least I have a NIB transfercase sitting on the shelf?
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I have a front right and both rear axles freshly rebuilt from a place here in Utah. Sold my ix, so willing to sell them to anyone that's interested. Pm me!
                    The difference between porcupines and BMWs is that porcupines have the pricks on the outside!

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                      If not, I will be comparing in real life anyways. I have a few RWD axle cores that have decent CV's on one side or the other etc, and the front ix stuff that I will mix -match to get the client back on the road. Was just hooping another member may have already checked this. :/

Man I wish I lived in Florida, I would totally let you experiment on my IX to see if you could make something work!
                      Between all of us we should be able to come up with something!
                      With as week as the front diff and drive train already is I think the best options may involve total replacements to something stronger and more readily available? I mean as long as iX parts remain NLA....I know nothing really "fits" without fab work but there has to be a good long term solution out there somewhere!

Comment

All spare axles sold to forum members. Keep those ix's going!
                        The difference between porcupines and BMWs is that porcupines have the pricks on the outside!

Comment

Originally posted by ACVC325ix View Post
                          Man I wish I lived in Florida, I would totally let you experiment on my IX to see if you could make something work!
                          Between all of us we should be able to come up with something!
                          With as week as the front diff and drive train already is I think the best options may involve total replacements to something stronger and more readily available? I mean as long as iX parts remain NLA....I know nothing really "fits" without fab work but there has to be a good long term solution out there somewhere!

I have ix and RWD axles in the parts cleaner now :)

Have not removed any clips, cages, or bearing as of yet, but a visual tell me they look close. **fingers crossed**
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                            I have ix and RWD axles in the parts cleaner now :)

Have not removed any clips, cages, or bearing as of yet, but a visual tell me they look close. **fingers crossed**

Have this thread subbed and my fingers crossed too!

Comment

No dice. The spline count and diameter of the ID on the cages are different. :(

But, now that I have one apart, perhaps I can see about sourcing rebuild parts.
                              john@m20guru.com
                              Links:

Comment

Dang it!

How far has anyone gotten on making a completely different front diff and CV axle fit on the IX?
                                Is rebuilding a sustainable solution or should we be looking to a different font end with parts that are still available?

Comment

Working...
                                X