Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does British e30 appear to have more power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
    Well, the Euro-spec cars had 9.7:1 compression and ran no catalytic converter. Also, in Britain, I've heard vague stories about a special "325iS" that was UK-only and had more power than a standard M20-powered car. Something about taxes and the M3 and a workaround....
    only early ones. later ones all have the same 8.8:1 engine with cats.

there's no special M20B25, lol. it doesn't exist. the early one only made 2hp more than the lower compression later version.

guys in the UK almost always use reverse calculated BHP by applying a 20% correction factor to their WHP dyno. it will almost always be optimistic, can't have unhappy customers paying $150/hr for dyno time...
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Found it, this is where I heard it:

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.
      Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Yeah, thats nonsense.

The only high performance M20s built were by Alpina, Hartge, etc..
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          only early ones. later ones all have the same 8.8:1 engine with cats.

there's no special M20B25, lol. it doesn't exist. the early one only made 2hp more than the lower compression later version.

guys in the UK almost always use reverse calculated BHP by applying a 20% correction factor to their WHP dyno. it will almost always be optimistic, can't have unhappy customers paying $150/hr for dyno time...
          But had crappy 2 row ecu and were only a 2 year engine. Frankie bought mine just as I was parting out my M tech I car when I was moving stateside with my ex. Trust me not worth the hassle of it. 9.7 was fine on good gas but run basic unleaded and it would ping. I also had a decent Hartge Cam in mine plus a long tube headers. Car was quite fun for an M20.
          https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

The UK m20 engines in the series II are basically the same as the US versions and those elsewhere i.e 8.8:1 CR with catalytic converter (if applicable) . IN the US the ratings are SAE hp vs metric hp in europe so there is often 1 to 2% difference in rating just due to the standard used to rate them even with identical engines. The early 325i in europe had the 9.7:1 pistons, there is also a 9.4:1 engine sold in parts of the world.

the only special 325is are south africa is a 2.7L with alpina spec engine and there are two versions Evo/mk1 and evo/mk2

89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Also note that 2 door E30s are sedans! lol
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                Also note that 2 door E30s are sedans! lol
                Yes, they are. In 1989, that meant you could fit 4 of your favorite adults in you car and go 140mph when the speed limit was 55mph. How exciting was that compared to a 1989 IROC?
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:
                Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                  Yes, they are. In 1989, that meant you could fit 4 of your favorite adults in you car and go 140mph when the speed limit was 55mph. How exciting was that compared to a 1989 IROC?
                  It's going to be a while to get up to that speed even without the adults. lol
                  1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
                  2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
                  2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Working...
                  X