Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 oil-level-matic. I need your help!

Here we go.

I recently purchased a NOS Valvoline oil-level-Matic... I am a HUGE sucker for e30 accessories.

If you don’t know what this is let me explain.

Valvoline Oil-Level-Matic: simply put, an electronic dip stick. There is a reservoir, a pump, a computer, and a dip stick. When the Oil Level light (from the check panel up above) turns on the system turns on and pumps oil into your engine through the dip stick and into the oil pan.

Here is a great write up on how to install it.
    I have the number 1 option.
    [oil level Matic instructional](https://www.drive2.com/l/3195135/)

Here is my problem: I need a custom reservoir for my oil level Matic so I can put it in my 87 325ic.

The oil level Matic mounts next to the drivers side strut tower, using the fender 10mm bolts.
    “Luckily” I have the early model cooling system, so the reservoir tank isn’t in the way, however.

THE PROBLEM: e30 Verts have strut tower reinforcements. So my oil level Matic won’t fit where it’s suppose to.

I know I know, I should have checked before buying. But it was such a stupid deal, the person didn’t know what they had, so in a blind 80s rage I bought it. I’m determined to make it work.

I’m thinking that I need to fabricate a reservoir that fits in the same spot but goes under or avoids the strut reinforcement.

Anyone got any ideas on how to make one? Where to start? Anyone up to the challenge?

If you made it this far, I’m sorry.

I’ll post some picks of my dilemma.

-David

Images

Comment

Personally if it was me I'd consider cutting the vert supports. Get a strut brace, and then an x brace to stiffen it back up. I'm sure its not the ideal solution to some people, but to me fabricating a new tank kind of defeats the purpose of having a super cool rare part like that.
      My Garage
      2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
      1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
      1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
      Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

I agree with stonea, no sense wrecking your car to make it fit. Your better off selling the setup to someone who can use it the way it was intended to be used.
        If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Why is that dude holding roller blades
          Hank Ahrens
          1984 Alpine Coupe
          1978 911sc

Comment

Because hipster

Comment

Buy a coupe or sedan specifically so you can use this part
              m106 1990 e30
              e36 daily
              e32 cruiser

Comment

Should've been a factory option for M42 cars considering how bad that little thing likes to leak.

IG @turbovarg
                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                [CoTM: 4-18]
                '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                - updated 3-17

Comment

Yeah, this part is not meant to fit your car - so unless you can fab a new reservoir and make it look right/work right, I would just sell or hoard the part

Comment

Originally posted by ahrensNW View Post
                    Why is that dude holding roller blades
                    For blading purposes, maaan
                    GAaH!

Comment

Originally posted by jdt10768 View Post
                      Yeah, this part is not meant to fit your car - so unless you can fab a new reservoir and make it look right/work right, I would just sell or hoard the part
                      I know! Any ideas my dude?

Comment

hoard or sell

Comment

Seen these before. Pretty cool but not worth cutting up the vert bracing for, IMO.
                          Last edited by reelizmpro; 09-07-2018, 10:25 PM.
                          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                            Since these before. Pretty cool but not worth cutting up the vert bracing for, IMO.
                            Don’t do it. Can only lead to other problems.
                            Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
                            1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
                            Palm Beach County

Comment

Alright guys!

After a very long and in-depth conversation with my friend who does custom fabrications this is what we came up with.

We will have a custom oil reservoir in the trunk of the car and install piping that will go from the trunk to the engine bay. How? I don’t know.

In the engine bay on the drivers side (where the original reservoir would go) we will mount a custom box to house the computer, pump, and wires.

So in theory the system is set up as if it were stock except it’s drawing from the truck via a tube to a reservoir. Our concerns are if the pump will be strong enough to pump that distance. The original pump says 12v on it. We are looking at other 12v pumps that would be stronger.

All the while we are preserving the original reservoir by not using it.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this alternative solution?

I know we are going WAY over board with this but I am still determined to get this in my car!

Comment

Working...
                              X