Rusty is back...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J.Rizo View Post
    and as a disclaimer, he rusted out his car when it wasn't a scene point thing to do, at the time he was being original.
    no, it really was never original. rusty/rat rods have been a thing for at least 50 years. The only thing original about it was being a BMW instead of an old '32 coupe or a VW bus.

you could definitely argue where the car is now is quite original. The rusty look is just for style instead of being the entire point of the car. Presumably, it will get used as intended instead of just being pretty to look at.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Looks good to me, love the dedication to the build. The crazy staggered wheels are my main gripe, but it has a real Mad Max look to it.

19x14.5 rear, 16x12 front
      '91 "318is" slick top M50 turbo
      '97 Dodge 3500 12v Cummins
      '12 Mini Cooper S
      '89 318i Chump Car Project

Comment

Originally posted by J.Rizo View Post
        and as a disclaimer, he rusted out his car when it wasn't a scene point thing to do, at the time he was being original.
        :tsk:
        Current:
        1989 325i
        1988 M3
        1987 325ic
        Past:
        2001 330ci
        2001 M3

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          no, it really was never original. rusty/rat rods have been a thing for at least 50 years. The only thing original about it was being a BMW instead of an old '32 coupe or a VW bus.

you could definitely argue where the car is now is quite original. The rusty look is just for style instead of being the entire point of the car. Presumably, it will get used as intended instead of just being pretty to look at.
          The rusty look is more of a past 15 year thing. If you look at hot rods before that, they look good in the performance part and cosmetic also.

1992 BMW 325iC
          1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
          1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

you're right, I 100% agree.

I was speaking more towards the fact that he brought that rat rod look into the early "stance scene". post rusty slammington you had civics, evos, e92s, golfs, all kinds of "stance" cars being rusted out.

rusting his car wasn't original, I agree, but I think the application definitely was.
            sigpic
            @joshua.j.rizo

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf
            Just remember next time you hear "late night when you need my love" I'm gonna be sitting somewhere way more bitchin' than you, driving or not.

BUY MY BUGATTI WHEELS:
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=377693

WRITEUP TO MY RHD SWAP:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371904

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
              The rusty look is more of a past 15 year thing. If you look at hot rods before that, they look good in the performance part and cosmetic also.
              right but there were always "rat rods", dating way back to when "hot rods" first started to be a thing. Often, but not always, they were primer black. There were still lots that were "as found", lack of paint and all.

the "stance" rusty was more akin to buying a new pair of jeans with pre-ripped holes in the knees that makes them look old and worn.

anyway, the new build is definitely worthy of respect!
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I'll be really impressed if all that race inspired stuff isn't just for show. I'll admit though, I'm happy to see Rusty back in some form. Never did care for the chop top though.

Comment

Pretty impressive car. I always love seeing balls out builds, even if he doesn't track it.
                  My Garage
                  2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                  1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                  1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                  Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Wasn't there some speculation that Burroughs burnt down the old one for insurance money/attention?
                    Originally posted by LJ851
                    I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                      It would be a huge waste of money to not take it to the track

Dry sump, tube frame, push rod/cantilever, Center lock E52s, hoosier crack, proper buckets.
                      welcome to show cars. at least he had the decency not to cover the windshield with stickers.

also if that's tire shine on hoosiers. embarrassing.

Comment

right but there were always "rat rods", dating way back to when "hot rods" first started to be a thing. Often, but not always, they were primer black. There were still lots that were "as found", lack of paint and all.

the "stance" rusty was more akin to buying a new pair of jeans with pre-ripped holes in the knees that makes them look old and worn.

anyway, the new build is definitely worthy of respect!
                        I kind of have to disagree with the "rod rods" back in the day of early hot rodding. There where "jalopies", but they was nothing like what people call or make today calling a rat rod with their rusted out floor boards covered with license plates and welded rod looking like spider webs lol. People was trying to take pride in their rides back in the day. If you talk to the old heads, there was very few black primer rides, most of the time they where red oxide. And even then they where in the process of getting paint some time down the line. Or they still wore the factory finish cause of limited budget of many.

people with money..

Typical jalopy, unlike what people build today.

Another example of a Jalopy that looks like the owner is slowly building up.

As for Mikes build here, I do like the current state of it compared to the versions of it in the past when the rust thing started.

1992 BMW 325iC
                        1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                        1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

He could of at least used fake spark plug wires on the already fake race car correct? Haha

Not my cup of tea but I respect what he's done underneath what used to be a better looking e28.

Comment

With the mention of Jalopy builds, I'd simply like to make mention that Archie Andrews himself was mid-build on his own Jalopy.

It was cut short after his face was pumped full of lead in a homo phobic gang shoot out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1446599342452.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	7180805
                            Originally posted by flyboyx
                            i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

looks cool.
                              AWD > RWD

Comment

I personally think it's an awesome revival with an interesting history. He salvaged what he could after it burnt down and used it as an opportunity to take his creativity and fabrication to the next level. I appreciate it because it's unique and is a direct representation of what interests and influences him. That's a cool build in my eyes.

Sure we've seen higher "quality" builds, but I don't really think that's the point here. This is built by guys who are experienced but also learning new things constantly as they go, doing it after hours in a simple shop space with fairly basic tools (at least that's what it seems like). I think the drive for progression in skills and knowledge is just as strong as the drive to see the finished product of their efforts, and that's something I can relate with. It's another reason why I like this build.

It seems like it was built for a purpose, it's just not complete yet. I don't doubt that this will get taken to the track consistently, or at least a handful of times. Or who knows, maybe he'll track it once just to take pictures of it and sell it afterwards. I can't imagine all that work would go into it only to have it go unused though...

Overall I think it's killer, but I'll admit I'm slightly biased because I have some sentiment towards the StanceWorks forums and history. It was one of my forums of choice when my automotive enthusiasm started developing and it led to my interest in BMW's so I support it.

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
                                --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Comment

Working...
                                X