X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a 302 is the way to go. Classic engine in a classic sports car

Comment

Originally posted by Elysian View Post
      I've spent more by now than I would have on an LS, I'm pretty sure. I could have easily found an aluminum LS truck motor by now for what I paid for my 302. I don't regret it, but the costs are adding up the more I do to make reliable power. A 302 is pretty underpowered stock, especially in Explorer format. If I had it to do again I'd probably start with a 5.3 aluminum LS.
      I have a spreadsheet going for both LS and V8 Swaps, and while the initial cost of the engine alone is roughly the same (truck motor "LS", ideally would be an LS1/3), everything else on the LS is exponentially more, as is the trans, wiring, etc. My running LS total is $10200 and my running 302 total is $5500.

I'm excited to see this unfold. If you wouldn't mind notating all the small parts needed to make things work I'll add it to my spreadsheet.

I'm curious as to what you're doing for:

1) brake booster - e34 remote setup?
      2) exhaust - custom headers?
      3) slave - hydraulic slave conversion?
      4) driveshaft - custom?
      1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
        I have a spreadsheet going for both LS and V8 Swaps, and while the initial cost of the engine alone is roughly the same (truck motor "LS", ideally would be an LS1/3), everything else on the LS is exponentially more, as is the trans, wiring, etc. My running LS total is $10200 and my running 302 total is $5500.

I'm excited to see this unfold. If you wouldn't mind notating all the small parts needed to make things work I'll add it to my spreadsheet.

I'm curious as to what you're doing for:

1) brake booster - e34 remote setup?
        2) exhaust - custom headers?
        3) slave - hydraulic slave conversion?
        4) driveshaft - custom?
        I'm going to see if I can fit the Geo Metro booster. I have a set of BBK shorty headers I'll run backwards. I'm going to convert the T5 to hydraulic clutch using a Toyota slave. Driveshaft will be custom.

I don't dare tally what I've spent so far, but it's likely higher than 5500.

Comment

AWDBOB asking all the right questions
          1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Really interested to see how your brakes get set up, that's my biggest point of research with this swap. I'd rather have manual brakes than a remote booster but I'd rather have any little booster I could fit in the stock location or adjacent than manual brakes. Another thing I really want to see is if there's enough room for an AC compressor with a 302 swap.

Originally posted by superj View Post
            I think a 302 is the way to go. Classic engine in a classic sports car
            I think a 302 is the way to go because it's so much cheaper than an LS and really is only inferior to it if you want more than 450hp, which too much for the chassis anyway for any purpose other than drag racing.

IG @turbovarg
            '91 318is, M20 turbo
            [CoTM: 4-18]
            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
            - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
              Really interested to see how your brakes get set up, that's my biggest point of research with this swap. I'd rather have manual brakes than a remote booster but I'd rather have any little booster I could fit in the stock location or adjacent than manual brakes. Another thing I really want to see is if there's enough room for an AC compressor with a 302 swap.

I think a 302 is the way to go because it's so much cheaper than an LS and really is only inferior to it if you want more than 450hp, which too much for the chassis anyway for any purpose other than drag racing.
              For me it wouldn't have been too different. I'd still be running a Megasquirt (I bought my Megasquirt 3X setup back in 2011 or 2012, it's been collecting dust since), I'd probably still be using a T5 (SBC T5s where I am are easy to find, and very cheap, unlike SBF T5s), and it'd be a lighter engine, as its pretty easy to find an aluminum 5.3 around here. About the only thing I can do to lose weight now is aluminum heads.

LS swaps are pretty expensive if you're running a T56, I'll give you that, but there's definitely ways to do it cheaper.

Either way, I haven't had any time to work on this lately, been working on the pickup, and need to work on my Golf, as I get ready to sell them on and buy a new pickup. If I can get some work in here or there I'll post it, but it might not be another month before I catch up.

Comment

Really interested to see how your brakes get set up, that's my biggest point of research with this swap. I'd rather have manual brakes than a remote booster but I'd rather have any little booster I could fit in the stock location or adjacent than manual brakes.
                I plan to use a hydrobooster from a late 90's mustang with an adapter to use the stock e30 master. Someone drew up some CAD drawings for this set up a long time ago so I have no idea where I found it. You should be able to dig it up with a little searching.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by willworkfore30s View Post
                  I plan to use a hydrobooster from a late 90's mustang with an adapter to use the stock e30 master. Someone drew up some CAD drawings for this set up a long time ago so I have no idea where I found it. You should be able to dig it up with a little searching.
                  That would be my second option.

Comment

Originally posted by Elysian View Post
                    For me it wouldn't have been too different. I'd still be running a Megasquirt (I bought my Megasquirt 3X setup back in 2011 or 2012, it's been collecting dust since), I'd probably still be using a T5 (SBC T5s where I am are easy to find, and very cheap, unlike SBF T5s), and it'd be a lighter engine, as its pretty easy to find an aluminum 5.3 around here. About the only thing I can do to lose weight now is aluminum heads.

LS swaps are pretty expensive if you're running a T56, I'll give you that, but there's definitely ways to do it cheaper.

Either way, I haven't had any time to work on this lately, been working on the pickup, and need to work on my Golf, as I get ready to sell them on and buy a new pickup. If I can get some work in here or there I'll post it, but it might not be another month before I catch up.
                    My statement of there being no advantage was based on the assumption of using aluminum heads on the 302, then the weight advantage of the LS is up in the air. I've never been able to find a good comparison of the weight of a 302 with aluminum heads to an LS just because when people actually go to the effort of weighing these things it's usually in very different states of assembly. The 302 is really light for an iron block V8, one must remember that the reason it's known as a weak block that splits above 500hp is the lack of reinforcement and overall low weight design. The front mounted distributor is a nice plus too, it's cheaper and easier (if you're doing the wiring) to run a distributor mounted ignition than coil on plug on an LS.

IG @turbovarg
                    '91 318is, M20 turbo
                    - updated 3-17

Comment

My statement of there being no advantage was based on the assumption of using aluminum heads on the 302, then the weight advantage of the LS is up in the air. I've never been able to find a good comparison of the weight of a 302 with aluminum heads to an LS just because when people actually go to the effort of weighing these things it's usually in very different states of assembly. The 302 is really light for an iron block V8, one must remember that the reason it's known as a weak block that splits above 500hp is the lack of reinforcement and overall low weight design. The front mounted distributor is a nice plus too, it's cheaper and easier (if you're doing the wiring) to run a distributor mounted ignition than coil on plug on an LS.
                      I'm considering doing LS coils on mine, since I have 7 of them already. Just need to grab that 8th one. Can control them pretty easily with the cam phaser and built in crank sprocket. Have no intentions of running a distributor, so it'll either be individual coils or wasted spark with the stock Explorer coil pack.
                      Last edited by Elysian; 02-14-2018, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Not E30 related, but say hi to my new pickup:

2018 Colorado Z71 with 308hp V6, 8 speed auto. Love this truck, now I can sell my F150 on.

Comment

Photo 4-11-16 07 22 02_zpsqzferj6e by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
                          Photo 4-11-16 07 22 51_zpswtk4inot by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
                          Last edited by AWDBOB; 03-09-2018, 10:18 AM.
                          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

^Hmmmm...

Can someone explain in (quick) entirety why using a remote booster setup is so undesirable? I haven't been able to find much specific info on the subject
                            1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                              Can someone explain in (quick) entirety why using a remote booster setup is so undesirable? I haven't been able to find much specific info on the subject
                              Because it's a pain in the ass.

IG @turbovarg
                              '91 318is, M20 turbo
                              - updated 3-17

Comment

Because it's a pain in the ass.
                                Thats as much as I needed to hear haha.
                                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Working...
                                X