Constantly replacing crank sensors Motronic Basic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Constantly replacing crank sensors Motronic Basic

I recently purchased a 325e from Craigslist back in December. It ran terrible and turned out to be the ecu. Another ecu was swapped in. Couple months later crank sensor blew out and was replaced. 3 weeks after another crank sensor blew out. Is this a common issue with motronic 1.0? Can’t seem to find any info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The connectors on the early e's tend to biodegrade. Once you have them both replaced, you should be good for a decade +.

DME's are bulletproof for the most part unless you car leaks.

Comment

The 2 reference sensors are identical so can easily be reversed. AMHIK :)
      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
      Alice the Time Capsule
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Aftermarket sensors seem to be far less reliable than what you can find in the junkyard.

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I’m gonna try swapping in new pigtail connectors. Also they’re Bosch crank sensors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The sensors are robust, more than likely the wiring or connectors causing the issue.

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
            Aftermarket sensors seem to be far less reliable than what you can find in the junkyard.

t

Can' tell you the last time an e30 came across any yards down here. Stopped by a yard today and the oldest BMW was an e36, also rare to see, and was obviously just dropped since they are a bare shell in a couple days.
            Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 05-18-2018, 12:30 PM.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Update

Changing the connectors fixed it. Has been running solid and starting every-time.

Comment

This forum seems to be obsessed with suggesting to change the CPS sensors. I reckon a lot of the time it is wiring or connector issues that get fixed when the sensor is changed, rather than the sensor itself. After all the sensor is a very simple device.
                Last edited by e30davie; 09-19-2018, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                  This forum seems to be obsessed with suggesting to change the CPS sensors. I reckon a lot of the time it is wiring or connector issues that get fixed when the sensor is changed, rather than the sensor itself. After all the sensor is a very simple device.
                  Yeah, it seems that way but obviously it has to be known working to diagnose virtually anything related to engine problems.
                  My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
                  I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Working...
                  X