No announcement yet.

ROUND 4! 88 Lachsilber / Cardinal IX coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, now that is some rust repair. I have to tip my hat to you.
    Now I almost feel guilty that mine was “relatively” rust free. There were a few small spots that needed attending to, but nothing like this.
    Brad, you’re my iX hero…:) Job well done!
    Plus I love the Lachs and Cardinal combo. Very stylish.
    1974 2002L
    1977 320/4 Motorsport
    1987 Alpina C2 2.7 Kat Cabrio
    1990 325ix Baur

Comment

Originally posted by doorman View Post
      I spent part of last night reading the restorides link. I was showing my wife some of the parts the were making and even she seemed impressed. I've done plenty of heavier metal fabricating in the past, lighter gauge work will take some practice. I may stop on the way home tomorrow and grab some 16, 18, 20 gauge sheet metal and a refill for my wife feed to practice with.
      I'm cranking on the vert right now, but I'll let you know when I get this beast down to the shell.. You're welcome to commiserate lol.. Any metal bender is welcome actually :-) I have a Lincoln 180C in the garage, but not much in the way of metal bending tools yet
      I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
      DB vert plastic bumpers
      OEM Keys
      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
      91 ic Calypso 3.1
      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
      TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
      e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Oh I'm not hating. I know you can save it and should save it. Im just saying man that rust haha. Once you get rust cut out it really isnt that bad. Its looking at all the rust that intimidates you. If you have any questions feel free to pm me. Cause there was tricks i used to get this how i wanted them.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
        1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
        Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
        Mtech 2 turbo restoration
        Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

^ this. there's Brandon.. haha
          thanks man. that means a lot

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Oh god, I'm terrified to dig into my ix even more than I already have. Amazing dedication though!
            My Garage
            2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
            1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
            1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
            Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
              Oh god, I'm terrified to dig into my ix even more than I already have.
              hahahaha I SOOO know what you mean man. There's what you WANT to be and what really is. Do you REALLY believe that little rust hole you can see doesn't extend to other places you can't see? lol.

Just take a look at that floor pan pic from the parts car. I *knew* it had to be there because there was some fishy stuff under the car. I chose to ignore it for close to 2 years, sinking money into mechanicals.. Guess I knew I'd just swap everything over.

Originally posted by stonea View Post
              Amazing dedication though!
              I guess it's because I played that hide and seek game already. To me it's all about making what you really want real. I really want a clean 88 IX the way it came out of the factory, OEM+ and with whatever bits didn't get ordered when new. No color changes, just fully equipped.

-I tried a super clean red IX coupe - didn't like it.
              -A red no rust coupe - just needed a color change - didn't like it.
              -A really nice white coupe with some relatively minor rust issues - switched to the car I really wanted all along, rust and all.

I'm done with that. Fix the damn thing right - strip it down and fix it all. Then score the arm rest rear seat I'm missing, retrofit the heated seats and do all the usual OEM+ stuff I do. I'm happy as a clam lol.

HOWTOs:
              DB vert plastic bumpers
              OEM Keys
              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
              91 ic Calypso 3.1
              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Holy rust batman. Hey if you're motivated enough to tackle it I can respect that.

I'm going to list my rust free '88 car in the next few months, you should've waited ;)
                1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

That is a serious amount of rust. The hood and interior look great though! Best of luck restoring it.
                  AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                    Holy rust batman. Hey if you're motivated enough to tackle it I can respect that.

I'm going to list my rust free '88 car in the next few months, you should've waited ;)
                    How are ya man? You moved? You should look up Kyle.. Cleanest E30 vert and coupe you've ever seen.. A bunch of Indy scene E30 folks hit the vintage every year.. Wife and I are taking the convertible this time.

And yeah I probably would have bought Heidi had I known. Oh well now I'll have body panel welding experience :-)

Gonna stay out of this motor for a while and sink the engine $$ into the vert.

HOWTOs:
                    DB vert plastic bumpers
                    OEM Keys
                    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                    91 ic Calypso 3.1
                    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

88 IX Motorweek Review - Exactly this car!

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                      That is a serious amount of rust. The hood and interior look great though! Best of luck restoring it.
                      Thanks Kershaw!

Some of you hard core IX types may have seen this on Youtube, but posting is here. Car is exactly like mine, even the interior. The chubby guy testing the interior cracks me up. Might as well be me

Last edited by bradnic; 03-16-2016, 09:35 PM.

HOWTOs:
                      DB vert plastic bumpers
                      OEM Keys
                      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                      91 ic Calypso 3.1
                      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

car's parked while I work the vert.. I am picking up parts though.

Scored a cardinal arm rest rear seat. will need some dye work but there are no tears

Also found out you can still purchase the heated seat elements from BMW. So rather than take a chance on some used ones I picked up a set.

and I have a replacement OEM radio and a non-working spare for parts, KE-81 ZBM-02s made by Pioneer.

I have more slider radios for parts than I know what to do with, but of course this is an 87 build car with a different unit. At some point I'm gonna mod the internals with new electronics while leaving the display and controls functional.
                        Last edited by bradnic; 04-03-2016, 01:32 PM.

HOWTOs:
                        DB vert plastic bumpers
                        OEM Keys
                        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                        91 ic Calypso 3.1
                        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

2095 manual IX 5 speed Coupes made,
                          216 with Cardinal interiors
                          66 of those were Lachsilber

production data from this thread

HOWTOs:
                          DB vert plastic bumpers
                          OEM Keys
                          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                          91 ic Calypso 3.1
                          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

I want to see the 1 with crimson on diamondschwarz!

Comment

Yeah DS with red is da bomb. Hard to find that combo in any E30.
                              Crimson is even harder to find, though the pics I've seen online are hard to tell apart from cardinal. Then again red interior pics with flash look absolutely awful. The color just isn't easy to photograph.

Did see this JasonC quote about it
                              Originally posted by JasonC View Post
                              There is 3 different red interiors. Cherry,Cardinal,and Crimson. I got Crimson out of a 1990 e30. Crimson also has red matching carpet too where Cherry don't and Cardinal only had one year matching carpet.
                              My interior has the red carpet and package tray, so 88 must be the 'one year matching carpet' year.

HOWTOs:
                              DB vert plastic bumpers
                              OEM Keys
                              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                              91 ic Calypso 3.1
                              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                                How are ya man? You moved? You should look up Kyle.. Cleanest E30 vert and coupe you've ever seen.. A bunch of Indy scene E30 folks hit the vintage every year.. Wife and I are taking the convertible this time.

And yeah I probably would have bought Heidi had I known. Oh well now I'll have body panel welding experience :-)

Gonna stay out of this motor for a while and sink the engine $$ into the vert.
                                Sorry I missed this, I have been away from R3V since I'm away from good ole Heidi.

I moved to Indianapolis last March! It's been smooth sailing once I landed decent work, and I'm almost ready to pick up an E30 out here to get me cruising at least.

I would love to cruise out to vintage. I'll have to link up with them. There is a decent scene here due to Reggies shop being right in Noblesville (down the road from Indy).

Hope all is well man!
                                1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                                1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X