1Bad37: C5 meets '37 Chevy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday...

Those stupid triangle shaped parts behind the bars are a pain bc my DA doesn't really fit in there so have to hand sand

The previously mentioned rear arms that are clean

Immediately put the towel back over them

At like 1:30 am I decided those four bolt holes in the subframe need something to hold!
    Likely suspect...

Making skidding device, I've only tagged the subframe on one thing, a manhole cover in road construction that stuck out... I don't need to be lowered more with those square edges there to catch on stuff:rofl I've seen cars totaled by manhole covers Gonna make one for the front also

Slowly turning colors
    -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
    08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
    318iS, slow build/garage queen...
    '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
    Originally posted by roguetoaster
    Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Ok guys, this is sort of a pic dump.
      Cleaned up the back of the rear lower arms so they'll look neat when you're behind me Done vs undone.
      Front skid.

Deleting some weld seams seams on the side rails and capping the ends

Several days later

The front half looks worse than the back as it is hidden under the truck and basically keeps the frame from rusting. The back half where the bed opens was wet sanded and painted repeatedly for a much smoother finish...
      Added sound deadener so parts don't ring when hit.
      Details of the rail ends.

Something I made on Sunday/Monday, A new passenger side mirror arm. Repro mirror arms have straight arms, which looks stupid, and are cast pot metal that breaks if you try to hammer it into the correct bend... (ask me how I know) Anyways, I made this new one. It isn't exactly perfect but its a dang good match for a piece of exhaust pipe, rebar and some flat stock I found on the floor...

And no, paint hasn't happened yet, still have lots of work to do including tightening the door jambs...
      -Christian

Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Looks good to me

29 Model A // 55 GMC 100 // 66 C10 // 72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo // 75 CB500T Custom // 04 BMW M3 // 13 BMW 328i Sport

72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo Build Thread // INSTAGRAM
        Gewerkschaft der Polizei Sticker/Clings For Sale $8

Comment

Originally posted by semaj4712 View Post
          Looks good to me
          Thanks!

Sorry its been a while! I've been busy with summer!

Uhh apparently I didn't update that I had put the rear suspension parts back on the frame, so here's some pics of that back when it was clean...

Also say hello to my new skid plate chilling back there:D

Iin the background the firewall is bare metal

Something I did and still have to finish is defrost vents which seem like an easy task, but aren't because of the windshield and a bar under it... I really want the vents to be as inconspicuous as possible, so they're not going to have any bezels or anything, this is basically done, but imagine the nailheads gone.

This is how the inside is going to be connected, there is a bar right in that area so these have to be both flat and make a 90 degree turn, as well as having a spot for the air hose to connect to.

I somehow got it in my head that the door gaps were ridiculously large, and they were, opening up to almost a half inch in one spot, and I could literally shove my pinkie into this gap... Well stupid me decided that this needed to be remedied... (don't get me wrong, its a great idea to shrink the gaps, but after figuring out its at least 40 FEET of welded and ground edge, it seems like a massive PITA for a small visual gain.)
          Pretty horrendous ~10mm gap there...

Buzz, buzz. Fun fact, those are actually 16 penny nails without heads or pointy ends
          Buzz buzz more.

Extend!

Repeat the weld and grind for many hours and this appears. This is a ~2mm gap in the door, or about half what my e30's panel gaps are:D

Driver's side. I'm using a large flat grinder blade to make the door edge straight.

If you happen to clean your bondo board with paint thinner near where you are grinding on the door, you can make fire unintentionally!

Random pic in middle of body filler on the firewall.

To now...

The shop as a big mess with body filler dust on everything, progress is slow but happening.

I'm still working on the driver's door edge. The firewall is nearly done, a few more skim coats and it should be nice. I'm thinking about going to talk to a local about having a seat made, and will hopefully make some primer fly next week. Lots to do.
          -Christian

Comment

Awesome update as per usual ;)
            1990 325i Touring - The Bonsai Bimmer - Patiently Waiting
            1984 316 Coupe - The Base Model - Pain in the Ass
            1988 750iL - The Daily Driver
            ...And a couple others...

Comment

I'm supposed to be at work but instead I've been trapped here reading this unreal thread! I just bought an old Toyota 4x4 and was pretty proud that I located and sanded/primered/wet sanded a door and fender yesterday. Hah!
              1991 349is (wadded up)
              1984 Rabbit 2.0L16v swap (wife's)
              2003 LR Disco II (wife's)
              1993 MB 400SEL (son 1's)
              1980 MB 450SEL (son 2's)
              2004 KTM 525 EXC-R SM Sold:(

Comment

Originally posted by stanhayward View Post
                Awesome update as per usual ;)
                Thanks!
                Originally posted by Pipes View Post
                I'm supposed to be at work but instead I've been trapped here reading this unreal thread! I just bought an old Toyota 4x4 and was pretty proud that I located and sanded/primered/wet sanded a door and fender yesterday. Hah!
                haha Thanks and nice work on your door! I've been SWAMPED with school so nothing huge has happened. Also the thought of sanding stuff is extremely demotivating...
                -Christian

Comment

Here goes nothing. I've been avoiding bodywork so I did something not related to that Had a slight breather in the homework and projects in school so got a little bit done.
                  Started here.

My helper the PO PO He's black and white so he's the popo.

About 45 mins later

IN the middle of this I blew out the shop with leaf blower and this is how my poor e30 looked the next time I washed it...

Back started to hurt after holding trans up one handed while feeding the bolts in T56 is one heavy SOB one handed.

Diff in too, check out that freshly washed diff mount!

Shiny trans

Exhaust mid section in

Tail parts in, also sound deadened the skid plate in the background at some point in the days preceding.

Sexy

A few days later... Those tips are wacked from all the cutting and welding. Must fix!

Cut off basically all the tips.

Some assembly and cutting required.

Using straightedge on two sides

I tacked that last tip to the angle iron so it would be straight. If I were to do this over again that's what I would have done from the beginning

Pretty happy with this.

This brings us to current. Hoping to sneak out for a few hours this weekend if I have time.
                  -Christian

Comment

Sweet build ! I got bored so I decided to photoshop your truck .

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	7181835
                    1990 Alpine 325is
                    1992 Schwarz 325ic (sold)

Comment

That's pretty neat! Haha

No real progress on it, put the rear end back together and got the e brake working. Took apart and cleaned and repolished the power steering pump, alternator and ac compressor, so that looks good. Slowly working on the cab, smoothing up the bodywork. School is in full swing so I don't really have time to touch it even though I park my e30 right there and walk past it all the time ugh. Might post pics later if I have time after tax homework ugh
                      -Christian

Comment

Working...
                      X