R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > E30 Technical Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > M30 & Other Swaps

Old 07-12-2016, 06:25 AM   #1
hambler
Noobie

attempting SHO v6 in my e30

Hello all,

I am new to this forum, but thought I would share what I am up to. I have a 1986 325es that I picked up for cheap from a buddy of mine. It was originally a Texas car, so mostly rust free besides some rust on the far left side of the trunk were it leaked water. Mechanically the car runs well, but has several small issues (that admittedly could be very easily fixed). Cosmetically however, the car is very rough. The interior has seen much better days, the outside is dented and has some very shotty bondo work from some fender benders. Some of the wiring on the car is a nightmare, as it has been pretty hacked up in places. When I bought the car it was bone stock, although the prior owner had planned to turbo the car and run a megasquirt.

Since I bought the car last November, I have been having fun with it- attached is a picture. The shark mouths cover up some dents on the passenger side, I cut the hood up just for fun, I built the roof rack myself and did some other small things. I quickly wanted more power in the car, and I knew I wanted to do an obscure engine swap. After considering a lot of engines, I decided on the Yamaha designed Taurus SHO v6. The goal is about 250 hp and 8000 rpm- a big step up from the 4500 rpm M20.
Attached Images

hambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:39 AM   #2
hambler
Noobie

So this is where I am now in the project:

I got into an entrepreneurship program at my college where they provided me space and are paying me to work on this project. I plan to sell all the parts I design during this swap at the end. I bought a SHO for $300, and have pulled the engine out of it. After considering different transmission options, I knew I wanted a 6 speed- so I bought three broken 6 speed transmissions from different cars (s2000, 350z, and miata), and have decided the s2000 6 speed is the most promising. As I write this, I am waiting on some prototype plywood adapter plates to be waterjetted out for me. I plan to run the stock SHO flywheel, which will allow me to run the SHO starter as well. I am going to redrill the flywheel to accept the s2000 pressure plate, and I will use the s2000 clutch disk as well. Luckily with the way things are lining up, with a 1/2" adapter plate, the clutch and flywheel all fall in the right spot without having to space them around. My biggest problem right now is figuring out a pilot bushing, as the SHO transmission was supported two places internally and did not use a pilot bushing, and although there is a hole in the SHO crank for one, it is only slightly bigger than the input shaft on the s2000 transmission. Attached is a picture of the SHO engine for those of you that are not familiar with it- it has a really cool variable intake runner that opens up shorter intake runners at 4000 rpm (its almost like a simpler vtec on the intake instead of the cams). I took some very quick measurements of my e30 engine bay and the SHO engine, and it looks like it will fit with the exception of the oil pan/cross member- so one or both of these will likely be modified. With the s2000 transmission, and the engine stuffed right back against the firewall, the shifter falls close to the stock e30 placement. I have dubbed this car Project Melting Pot, as it is a Japanese designed American engine in a German car.
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2016, 06:39 AM   #3
N2MYE30
R3V Elite

Welcome aboard. Now a SHO engine is a mighty ambitious to transplant. What tranny works for that?

edit. I see...massaged S2000 6spd. Very interesting.

October COTM 2011 NCE30 E30CCA
N2MYE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:44 AM   #4
hambler
Noobie

N2MYE30: Sorry I broke up my post into two parts, but I am using an s2000 transmission. It doesn't work out of the box, but I am making an adapter plate to make it work. There are transmissions options out there, such as the Ford Ranger trans, but that is a 5 speed, top loader, and there is debate how long they last being shifted at 8000 rpm. If you can find a '97-'97 Aerostar manual bellhousing (good luck) you can buy an adapter plate to run a t5 transmission.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:47 AM   #5
TimeMachinE30
No R3VLimiter

This is silly. Good luck on your project. I look forward to seeing its frequent updating!

Say no to panjo.
TimeMachinE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:11 AM   #6
ThatOneEuroE30
R3V OG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
This is silly. Good luck on your project. I look forward to seeing its frequent updating!

Silly is what makes it fun though. Would it be engine id do personally? No not at all but i give OP A+ for being original and going with the same ol boring swaps.
ThatOneEuroE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:30 PM   #7
stonea
R3VLimited

Any reason behind the engine choice?
1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)

Feedback
stonea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:37 PM   #8
Farbin Kaiber
Lil' Puppet

This could be the car with the best excuse for Taurus skirts yet!

|1983 323i|2001 330iS|
Farbin Kaiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 03:53 PM   #9
Pudmunkie
Wrencher

Had contemplated a duratec 3.0 v6 when I picked up my first shell years ago. I was inspired by a merkur running a turbo rwd setup, and the fact that the noble uses the same motor to great results. Also German designed😃.

Interested to see how this turns out!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Pudmunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:39 PM   #10
Art5

Sho motor might be too wide for E30
Art5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:49 PM   #11
varg
E30 Fanatic

This is cool, please make it happen, I don't want to see another unique project die and 5 more yawn-inducing DOHC swaps take its place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art5 View Post
Highly unlikely. It isn't really that wide.

raise the lowered
varg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:45 AM   #12
lukeADE335i
Mod Crazy

How many degrees is the V on those engines? Looks very narrow.

Great looking inlet manifold on those - I'd seen pics of the V8 before, didn't realise there was also a 6 cylinder version. Should be nice when it's done!

If you find the 6 speed too hard, the Mazda B series pickups supposedly had a 5 speed RWD box that bolts up.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:04 AM   #13
nando

cool project! the Yamaha V6 is a great engine. I have a friend with almost 300k on his, still original.

Just a word of warning - everything Ford touched on that car is shit. That includes the flywheel - the clutch disk is way too small, it's not going to hold up too well to 250hp, it can barely handle the stock engine. I would definitely consider upgrading it to an aftermarket flywheel/clutch if I were you.

Fortunately you won't be stuck with the transmission that Ford used as that is crap too and has parts that wear out you can't buy anymore..
nando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:04 AM   #14
ForcedFirebird
R3V Elite

Sub'd. We started dabbling with a 60 degree GM engine mating to a Getrag 260 for an e30, but a very side and distant project. Curious to see how this pans out.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:17 AM   #15
agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art5 View Post
Or it might not.

I'm interested to see what happens.
Klaus | Lola | Hans | Feedback | For Sale | Wanted | Rebuilt Diffs | . . . . . .. . . . .. . . . .2017 T-shirt
agent is offline   Reply With Quote