s50 vs m54 vs m50 vs m30 dyno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

s50 vs m54 vs m50 vs m30 dyno

PNW guys had a dyno day, here are the results. These are same day same dyno, all done within 2 hours of each other. For reference, they told me that a bone stock s50 puts down 200-205whp on their dyno.

First, the motors (in order on dyno):
    Steve: m54, x5 PS, AC delete, slightly larger TB, euro headers and custom exhaust, 4th gear
    Martin: m30 with TCD stage 1 turbo, unsure of any other mods, 4th gear
    Tom: m30, miller MAF kit, custom exhaust, unsure of any other mods, 3rd gear - clutch was slipping in 4th
    Jason: m50 with s50 cams, TMS under drive pulleys, 3.5" HFM, pink top 21.5 injectors, TRM chip, Raceland headers and e36 UUC System U exhaust. 4th gear
    Joe: s50, 3.5inch MAF, PS & AC delete, underdrive pulleys, ebay headers and custom exhaust. 4th gear.

Jasons car ran super lean after about 6200rpms so theres some sort of issue there, but his numbers looked good up to that point. Joe was lean throughout the entire powerband, more power can be had once the tuning is fixed.

The dyno:
    Attached Files

which graph is which?
    '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

I ordered the motor listing the same as the dyno listing, so look at the color codings.

Comment

Discussion at mye28.
        1973 Bavaria

Comment

Martins car looks like fun :evil:
          M Coupe

Comment

nice, if there had been any chance of it I would have come. I bet the guy with the M30 is wondering WTF happened to all his power from the Miller MAF kit.

hoping to get back down there sometime before spring.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Those m30 numbers make me hawt.

I really want an m30. Some guy had two e28's one with a 3.3L and the other was the b27 he wouldn't separate them and wanted 1k for both. I tried to get him to sell the 533i for 500 bucks but he wouldn't budge.

"Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed."

John F. Kennedy

Comment

Here is just my M54 (blue) against the S50 (red). I would get the hole shot on Joe and then he'd pass me on the straight.

Comment

do you have *.drf files you'd be willing to share?
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Really cool info, thanks for posting!

Makes the m50 + boltons + cams option much less attractive. Spend S50 money and maybe make stock S50 power if it wasn't running so lean.

I must haz TCD turbo kit and E28.
                    2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                    95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                    98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
                      Here is just my M54 (blue) against the S50 (red). I would get the hole shot on Joe and then he'd pass me on the straight.

for comparison dinan chiped m60b40 same dyno different day
                      looking for a e30m50 swap harness adapter pm me $150 shipped
                      email nitroman12@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                        do you have *.drf files you'd be willing to share?
                        Yes, I will post them when I get home if Steve doesn't beat me to it, I have the files for all 5 cars.

I'm not really sure why the m30 put down so little power, it seems like it should be making more then that.. Then again, the turbo'ed m30 was only at 250whp so maybe the NA m30's numbers are okay.. I thought it would put down more power though.

Comment

yeah, seeing those comparisons make me feel a lot better. this particular dyno doesn't seem optimistic at all.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Does that m50 cut out at 6200 RPM's and basically stop accelerating? My buddy had a problem with his m50 where the ground wire that comes from the injection wire harness, out to the vanos bolt, was broke, and the engine cut out at around 6200. Felt like a rev limiter in a way.
                            85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                            e30 restoration and V8 swap
                            24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

It kept reving to red line (7k) it just dropped in power. Guy at the dyno though maybe fuel issue. So I'm going to start with checking fuel filter and pump and go from there when I get home.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X