Mess under the intake? Read this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mess under the intake? Read this!

This picture is the single best thing you can possibly have during this job. It's from M42 club so I can't take credit for it, but there's not too much useful info on r3v about this issue. Here you go:

Print it out, write on it, highlight it, love it. You'll be so glad you have it.

I'll also share a few tips of my own:
    Look at that pic first, before you order anything. I didn't end up using half the stuff I bought because I didn't see that diagram in time.
    Put vaseline on the fuel injector o-rings to make them slide in. I did the same thing on the fuel hoses, but be careful that the vaseline won't get into your gas.
    When I took it apart, I was like ohhh god there is no way I can ever put this back together. Taking it apart is harder than putting it back together, don't worry.

Here's a couple pics of my own:

This is the only coolant hose you need to modify. I didn't get the correct diameter (everyone said 5/8, which was too big for me), so I just used the one that was on there and twisted it a bit. It should be fine.

And there you have it. It's overall a fairly easy job...and this is the biggest job i've ever done on a car at this time.
    The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
    Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
    2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
    2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Nice, wish I would have seen that diagram earlier. Also apparently you don't need to have that hose going straight from the pipe to the head you can just plug them. I put it on anyway (19/32 I think) to be safe but it is one less hose to go bad...
    What it feels like owning an e30:

88 325 S50 swap in progress
    90 325ix

Comment

Oh yes, I forgot to add that. You can plug both ends, but for me just sticking the hose on was easier.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
      2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

everything in blue except for main coolant pipe connected to block and heater core stuff as well as almost everything in red can be completely removed and thrown away.

best picture ive seen

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
        Ig:ryno_pzk
        I like the tuna here.
        Originally posted by lambo
        Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

those fuel line hose clamps look a little big?
          1991 318is ---230K - DD
          1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
          so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

The ones he choosed are fine considering size.

Comment

I am amazed someone found my pic in the mess that is the mess thread! Glad you found it to be helpful! I only wish I has not used blue/purple, made it hard to differentiate, but it was only for personal use at the time. On another note M42club is rather dead ATM, post up there too!

Comment

Like me if you ever take the head off get the mechine shop the weld it up. Then just throw a bolt with some silicon on the connection to the plastic pipe. Will never leak ever again.
                sigpic

Comment

Is it common on the M42, that the big plastic water pipe on the engineblock (which is marked blue in the graphic) starts leaking water?

Comment

Yes, it generally starts at the plug in to the block, but is also known to crack on the outlet to the cylinder head. Ideally if someone would make an aftermarket part to fix that and have it work with the mess deletion it would be awesome, sadly it will never happen.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                      Yes, it generally starts at the plug in to the block, but is also known to crack on the outlet to the cylinder head. Ideally if someone would make an aftermarket part to fix that and have it work with the mess deletion it would be awesome, sadly it will never happen.
                      Maybe ill have to look into this.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jrobie79 View Post
                        those fuel line hose clamps look a little big?
                        Nope. I know it seems like they were near their tightening limit, but it was impossible to get them any tighter.
                        Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                        I am amazed someone found my pic in the mess that is the mess thread! Glad you found it to be helpful! I only wish I has not used blue/purple, made it hard to differentiate, but it was only for personal use at the time. On another note M42club is rather dead ATM, post up there too!
                        Thanks man! This pic is an absolute life saver. And I got it from m42 club on the 14th page (i think) of the MUtI sticky.

Here's a basically finished pic of my m42 if anyone's interested:

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                        2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Looks purdy! Two things, maybe cut the TB studs back some, I did, made my life easier considering how often I have the manifold off (and how infrequently I can find my 10mm deep socket!), and that hose off the the VC looks stock & I like that. How did you fit it to the intake boot anyway, just a plastic barbed connector?

Comment

Thanks for this diagram. Worked on the 318 tonight and removed all that crap. Took about 4 hours. While I was in there I added some 19lb mustang injectors. Cat runs great and it looks much better. I didn't even need new hose. All the old stuff was able to work easily with the new setup. +1

Comment

I hope those were injectors that clip into place, some people have had leaks over time with non clip in ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X