• Show
Clear All

FS: 1990 325 iX coupe, charcoal/grey, needs engine

1990 325 iX Coupe
    Charcoal Black
    Grey Interior
    183,000 miles
    Manual transmission
    Has a dented driver front fender, extra fender included (wrong color, though)
    Sunroof
    Ski pass-through

I bought this car from (I believe) the original owner in the late 90's. Sold it to my brother around 80k miles, and it was his DD since then. It was recently stolen and driven around, over-revved in 1st gear - thief did not know how to drive a manual. Car was towed to a local shop. The following is 2nd-hand info from my brother: The car will start and run, but belches blue/white smoke and won't idle. The shop says they pulled plugs and stuck in a camera in to look around. They report 2 pistons with evidence of valve contact, but don't see any cylinder wall scraping. My brother says it sounds different while cranking to start.

My brother has decided he doesn't want to deal with the cost or hassle of an engine replacement and wants to sell the car.

He would like to get $3,000 for it. I'm not in touch enough with pricing/availability to know if that's high (or low, for that matter). This is simply what he says he'd like to get, and he's very open to offers. To be as clear as possible: if you're interested, get in touch. Price is OBO, and if its high/low its because we haven't done the research to know better.

The Recaro seats were in it when I bought the car. Stereo has been replaced (head and speakers). Wheels are Borbet, I believe, but have curb rash. He and the shop are also looking for possible buyers. Would love to see it go to an enthusiast.
    Attached Files

More pics.
    Attached Files

Comment

And few more pics. I can only post 5 at a time.
      Attached Files

Comment

I should add that the thief had a key, so the car was not damaged in any way to gain entry.

Comment

Where is it located?
          FS NY: two Audiobahn A235HC amps and audiobahn 1farad capacitor
          Saab/GM tech2 programming
          My for sale thread
          1990 325iX for sale or part out
          Did you buy something from me? Please leave feedback!

Originally posted by K20RI_211
          And I have to ask if you make a hobby out of thread-bombing with retarded questions?

Comment

Seattle, WA.

Comment

Can you post a video of the jack test? Perhaps some photos of the undercarriage too?
              '89 325ix
              '88 M6 Royal Blue
              '13 128i "M-Sport"
              '04 ZHP Mystic Blue-SOLD
              '02 E46 330xi-SOLD
              '89 325i Laachssilber metallic-SOLD
              '89 325i Bronzit-SOLD

Comment

An engine swap would be pretty cheap... but being an iX might make any drivetrain replacements costly. Pretty sweet car, though, and local to me. Have you posted on the PNW e30 facebook group? Some of the local guys might be very interested.
                📸 @joyfilledpursuit
                📖 John 3:16-18

Comment

The car runs very poorly at the moment and will not idle, making the jack test difficult. We have no reason to believe the viscous coupling is deteriorated. I asked my brother about accelerating from a stop light, on an incline, in the wet (easy to come across those conditions here). He said the car accelerates from the stoplight and has plenty of traction, even under brisk acceleration. FWIW.

The shop has been good enough to let the car sit on their lot for the time being. We're a little reluctant to push it and ask them to put it up on a lift for pictures. If we have a deal and a buyer with cash, we'd be happy to get it up on a lift for inspection. Vehicle has been in the PNW for its entire life.

Comment

midnight_marauder - the quote he's gotten from the shop for a swap, including engine, are pretty expensive. Could be done DIY for a lot less, but that's not an option for us right now unfortunately.

Sounds like a great idea to post in the PNW e30 FB group. Will do that that right away. Thanks.

Comment

midnight_marauder - I requested access to the PNW e30 buy, sell, trade group. Not sure how long that takes.

If you're able and willing to post a link there back to this page, it would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by monkey_boy View Post
                        We have no reason to believe the viscous coupling is deteriorated. I asked my brother about accelerating from a stop light, on an incline, in the wet (easy to come across those conditions here). He said the car accelerates from the stoplight and has plenty of traction, even under brisk acceleration.
                        I don't mean to sound harsh, but this means virtually nothing, and if bad can offset the cost of the car by well over a grand for someone who doesn't do at home repairs.

Even if the car runs poorly it still only takes a few seconds of the car running in gear to tell if it's good or bad.

GLWS, if you were in the Midwest we'd be talking.

1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post

I don't mean to sound harsh, but this means virtually nothing, and if bad can offset the cost of the car by well over a grand for someone who doesn't do at home repairs.

Even if the car runs poorly it still only takes a few seconds of the car running in gear to tell if it's good or bad.

GLWS, if you were in the Midwest we'd be talking.
                          Ditto. If this was on the east coast, it would already be parked in one of my bays. I have a spare of everything for an ix.
                          How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post

.. this means virtually nothing ...
                            Agree, and understood, which is why I added FWIW. The thinking was just that some tire spin/lost of traction might have been observed under the conditions described if the VC was shot. FWIW... not much. ;-)

Thanks for the interest. Sorry you guys aren't closer. AWDBOB - I had seen your WTB post and wondered.

Comment

Any rusts on the car? History- has this car lived all of its life on the west coast. - no salt on roads? Any other known problems beside engine Thanks Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X