Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BeirBrennerE30
    replied
    Did we ever get confirmation that these are actual stainless? I have some surface rust inside the collector.

Leave a comment:

• SkiFree
    replied
    Frank, I hope all is well. I have not received my headers yet.

Leave a comment:

• zaq123
    replied
    Anyone heard from Frank if we should expect any partial for the lack of downpipes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    Originally posted by uturn View Post
    Years ago, I contacted BTB for headers for my m30 swap because Alpina only had half a set left in stock. This was before Supersprint finally decided to fabricate them. BTB said they would not ship to the states.
    i got mine through Evolve way back. you'd probably need a freight forwarder otherwise. they dont seem to offer them anymore but they'd be too expensive in any case so it be cheaper to get a custom set...

Leave a comment:

• uturn
    replied
    Years ago, I contacted BTB for headers for my m30 swap because Alpina only had half a set left in stock. This was before Supersprint finally decided to fabricate them. BTB said they would not ship to the states.

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    these are 1-5/8" off the head? mine BTB2/3 are like that and needed to get thin walled nuts and screw the nuts on progressively major PITA on the engine....my custom set will be 1-1/2" off the head stepped to 1-5/8" with no bend nearby to make install easier

Leave a comment:

• zaq123
    replied
    Originally posted by uturn View Post
    I haven't received my headers yet but being I missed out on the first GB, I'm thankful for Frank doing this second one, all the while knowing the BS he had to put up with the first time.

Thank you Frank!:up:

Agreed, there would be no unicorn headers ever again if not for Frank. Thank you sir. Unfortunately it looks like it didn’t go as planned again. 3rd time’s a charm??? Time for GB #3? :)

Leave a comment:

• uturn
    replied
    I haven't received my headers yet but being I missed out on the first GB, I'm thankful for Frank doing this second one, all the while knowing the BS he had to put up with the first time.
    Thank you Frank!:up:

Leave a comment:

• zaq123
    replied
    Originally posted by 02tradition View Post
    Some minor notes on fitment. The front piece went on perfect no issue :) The back piece required a little massaging of the holes. Flange probably warped slightly under heat of welding, anyways no big deal just reamed out the holes ever so slightly. Also that #5 exhaust stud is still a bear. Shouldn't be too big of a deal. I'll probably shorten the stud slightly and possibly grind a little off the weld off. All other clearances from what I can tell are A OK!
    I don't think the problem with the back bank fitment you had is a warping issue. I have the same issue with mine and the flange is perfectly flat. Most like there was an issue with a jig for drilling those holes. 3 cylinder top bold and 6 cylinder bottom bolt were grabbing, some filing took care of the issue. Some flange welds are definitely need some grinding as the nut bottoms out on the weld instead of the flange. Looks like common for these, judging by Frank's picture of from the previous GB (zoom in on copper nuts)

Leave a comment:

• zaq123
    replied
    Originally posted by BeirBrennerE30 View Post
    It was, but I paid the extra $100 and the headers showed up uncoated. I don't mind having to have them coated myself but then refund the $100

I would imagine that you’ll be getting it back plus some for downpipes. Frank didn’t say how much he budgeted for downpipes in that 1300, I guess we found out soon enough

Leave a comment:

• BeirBrennerE30
    replied
    Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
    Frank would be the person to answer the downpipe refund question....I would like to know it myself.

If I understood this correctly, coating was always extra to the initial 1300 though.

It was, but I paid the extra $100 and the headers showed up uncoated. I don't mind having to have them coated myself but then refund the $100

Leave a comment:

• zaq123
    replied
    Originally posted by BeirBrennerE30 View Post
    That was included in the initial 1300.

Frank would be the person to answer the downpipe refund question....I would like to know it myself.

If I understood this correctly, coating was always extra to the initial 1300 though.

Leave a comment:

• saucers
    replied
    If anyone changed their mind and doesn't want their set anymore, or if there's an unclaimed set Frank :thankyou:

Leave a comment:

• BeirBrennerE30
    replied
    Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
    Did you pay for downpipes too?

That was included in the initial 1300.

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
    The guy who sold me the coating said it was lol.

Seriously though.. a quick search yielded this in reference to stainless VS mild

"But chromium atoms that are mixed in with the iron have the added effect of making the material worse at conducting heat than mild steel"

If it's worse at conducting then it does give off less heat. Whether the difference is significant enough to call it a thermal barrier I have no idea and about how much the coating helps, I know even less.

It is pretty though :)
    the question of whether a coating does anything or not to stainless steel is not really a question of whether 304 stainless steel is better than mild steel, as stainless is known to have a lower thermal conductivity and lower emmisivity so the heat transfer will be lower with stainless.

a lot of the ceramic coatings are nothing more than glorified VHT. the aftermarket world is full of smoke and mirrors without any real test data but the best ones to use are zirconia based that are plasma sprayed and they have some body (thickness) to them and therefore affect the conduction through the pipe wall. i think swaintec white lightening might be one of those that's what id be looking at but black if possible to avoid the grubby finger prints...lol

i personally think it looks much more presentable after coating especially on something where the fab quality is not up to scratch. Done properly it seems to last alot better than VHT paint, and any improvements in thermal control of under hood temps are a bonus ( it does still seem to help though). To protect components from the radiation a thermal heat shield is the best thing you can do but this conflicts with presentation.
    Last edited by digger; 07-16-2019, 08:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X