Gauging Interest: Carbon Roof Skin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauging Interest: Carbon Roof Skin

I've spoken via email with Todd @ Helion Composites about producing a complete carbon roof skin for the E30 chassis. I first ran across his work from the classic 911 community where he is producing carbon fiber roofs and carbon fiber targa tops. Perfect for you track/race car or crazy street car. Can be bonded or blended in.

We would need to arrange, at minimum, 12 pre-paid buyers at approximately $550 not including freight.

Please check out the the photos below and shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Check out his website http://www.helioncomposites.com/

- Brian

Interior side weave

Fiberglass

You've peaked my interests. If it can be blended in and you keep the $550 price tag.
    My Garage
    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Why not carbon fiber hoods first?
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

How does it mount?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
        I got a fender roller now! LMK if you need me to roll your fenders or want to rent the tool from me locally.

Paypal: vdang5@gmail.com

Delta Auto Care
        2875-C Towerview Road
        Herndon, VA

My Feedback Thread: Evil_Twin

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
          Probably because there are other companies offering CF hoods for our cars.

How much do these weigh? Bonded in or riveted?

Comment

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post

there are?

the ebay ones were pretty much crap (heavy, poor fitment). The nice quality ones haven't been in production for a long ass time (MA Shaw). Who else makes them?

I always wanted a functional CF sunroof panel. Somebody made them a long, long time ago but the run was pretty limited and they are long gone. I had a fiberglass one but it was just too flimsy to look good.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
              there are?

the ebay ones were pretty much crap (heavy, poor fitment). The nice quality ones haven't been in production for a long ass time (MA Shaw). Who else makes them?

I always wanted a functional CF sunroof panel. Somebody made them a long, long time ago but the run was pretty limited and they are long gone. I had a fiberglass one but it was just too flimsy to look good.
              Nobody makes them any more? Bummer. I guess ESM probably does but those are fiberglass with 1 layer of CF for appearance.

I found a company that makes CF sunroof panels for BMWs but they can't even be arsed to send me a pic of their product

I guess this means I need to get myself into the carbon fiber business, cause making sunroof panels is easy peasy.

Comment

it's not as easy you think. The sunroof panel isn't flat for one - it's curved. Then you need all the bracing, mounts, and to make it not shrink so much during curing that it doesn't seal anymore.

a couple years ago there was a place that does mostly high end porsches and stuff that still made E30 hoods, but they were even more expensive than MA Shaw was - around $1500 iirc. ESM is shit but you know that. :)
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I am 100% in--assuming pricing and quality remain the same.
                  '91 318is M52 Turbo (in pieces)

Comment

Hi This is Todd from Helion Composites,
                    Thanks to Brian for generating interest and getting this kicked off. Please keep in contact with him regarding interest as he is the organizer.

I'm happy to answer questions regarding the process, installation, etc.

Bear with me, I don't check the forum very often but I'm happy to answer technical questions at todd@helioncomposites.com

Best regards,
                    Todd Candey
                    Helion Composites, LLC

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
                      You've peaked my interests. If it can be blended in and you keep the $550 price tag.
                      Blending is something I would leave to a professional body shop but it is possible.

Originally posted by evil_twin View Post
                      How does it mount?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
                      Most people cut away the steel roof and leave a 1-2inch border and bond with high-strength automotive bond.

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post

Email todd@helioncomposites.com for a more accurate weight estimate and technical details. My guess is a little over 6lb's.
                      Bonded or riveted. It's really up to you or your body shop.

Originally posted by chondamx View Post
                      I am 100% in--assuming pricing and quality remain the same.
                      Fantastic, need more committed buyers!

Comment

Count me as #2, assuming that this would work on a 4-door E30...
                        Originally posted by LJ851
                        kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
                        ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
                        #teamross
                        Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

We have it on our old race car. Made by DTM Fiberwerkz. I didn't cut the entire roof and just used it to cover the sunroof hole. You can still order it from them but I would recommend ordering a thicker panel if you are trying to delete the whole roof. The one we had is only 8 pounds, about the same weight as the stock sunroof skin.

JMP Autowerkz
                          7349 Canby Ave.
                          Reseda, CA 91335
                          www.jmpauto.com

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                            Get out of here Culver City. Tons of CF stuff available to you locally.

There is nothing available to us locally on the east coast, only shipped from LA. I would like to see carbon fiber hoods, trunks, and bolt in sunroof panels.
                            AWD > RWD

Comment

Functional sunroof to replace the original metal part would be cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X