Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Throttle Cable - M52B28 with M50 Manifold and OBD2 Throttle Body.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle Cable - M52B28 with M50 Manifold and OBD2 Throttle Body.

Hi All,

Replacing the throttle cable on my M52 swap. Last time I had to modify the cable to fit.

I've heard (E36) 35411163228 or (E36) 35411161698.
    But also (E34) 35411160609 and (E34) 35411160611.

Is there a bolt-on solution for the M52 with M50 intake manifold and OBD2 throttle body?
    Ideally something without a bunch of extra length.

Anyone with first hand experience?

-228 is the superseded -698 and I think they're equivalent? Throws me off that they're listed for some M50 cars in realoem as well.

Those two E34 cables seem to reference the same build code cars, but only -609 shows up in the parts list.
    (edit, -611 seems to be RHD cars)

I run an OBD1 throttle body right now, but I think someone had a decent thread about this recently?
    Last edited by Northern; 07-08-2022, 09:20 AM.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I didn't know the manifold makes any difference.
      That being said, I have the OBD2 manifold and throttle body.
      I bought the E34 cable because everyone said to get that one. But that one doesn't fit the OBD2 stuff. So.
      I bought the E36 cable (35411163228) and I routed it under the brake master. I don't remember modifying it, but I might have... cut the first serration off the plastic clip? Or flipped it around? Shoot, my memory could be mixing this up with trying to make the damn E34 cable fit. The point is, either very little or no modification at all for the E36 cable.

Link to photos in another thread, if that helps.

Currently building a badass coffee table
      Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

Originally posted by Chilezen View Post
        I bought the E36 cable (35411163228) and I routed it under the brake master. I don't remember modifying it, but I might have... cut the first serration off the plastic clip? Or flipped it around? Shoot, my memory could be mixing this up with trying to make the damn E34 cable fit. The point is, either very little or no modification at all for the E36 cable.

Link to photos in another thread, if that helps.
        That does help, thank you. I also had my cable routed under the brake master.

I'll order the E36 cable and reply to this thread with the results!

Comment

Here is 35411163228 compared to my modified (shortened) cable. Almost the exact same length.

Had to add an extra (aftermarket) cable stop to take up some of the slack at the throttle body. But otherwise works great!

Click image for larger version  Name:	2023-03-19 07.33.42.jpg Views:	0 Size:	198.9 KB ID:	10088111

Click image for larger version  Name:	2023-03-19 08.05.40.jpg Views:	0 Size:	176.3 KB ID:	10088112
          Attached Files

Comment

Great info.

For cruise you're basically running an E36 cable that you shortened?

I like how you relocated the actuator inside the car. Mine just flops around in the engine bay in front of the coolant reservoir, so this idea is on my long list to eventually steal/implement lol.
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
              Great info.

For cruise you're basically running an E36 cable that you shortened?

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...56#post9928056

I like how you relocated the actuator inside the car. Mine just flops around in the engine bay in front of the coolant reservoir, so this idea is on my long list to eventually steal/implement lol.
              I used half of the e30 cable (connected to E30 cruise control actuator under the dash) and half of the E36 cable (connected to the throttle body).

I actually wouldn't recommend this now, as I ended up having the inner cable start to fray and stick when I shortened the throttle cable in a similar way.
              Maybe there is a better way to connect the two cables in the middle, or swap the ends?

If I ever get my hands on another cruise actuator/cable I'll attempt a better setup.
              For now it's disconnected and on the long-term to-do list (just like the central locking 😅)

Comment

Working...
              X