Can you stroke a M52TUB28?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you stroke a M52TUB28?

I've got a 2000 528i with double vanos (M52TUB28) and I was wondering what parts would I be able to use if I wanted to build or buy a stroker kit as my motor is getting weak and needs a rebuild plus I'm planning on either putting a supercharger back on the car or putting a turbo on it

Yeah, you can use rotating assemblies from M5x/S5x.

You should be able to search and find what you need
    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

s52b32 or m54b30 89.6mm crank or even the s50b30US 85.6mm crank are all longer stroke than the 84mm in your engine.

the rods will be the same 135mm length and pretty much interchangeable

pistons are different bore between m54 84mm and S50 86mm / S52 86.4mm but if getting machined then not an issue and better to increase the bore to get fresh bores and a few extra cc. not sure if the M54 engine deck height and the m5x/s5x deck height are the same i recall 211 and 210mm respectively. i would suggest s52 pistons may be the best for that block in which case with some boring and honing the s52 full rotating assembly should fit perfect.

im sure others will chime in.
      Last edited by digger; 03-05-2024, 10:25 PM.
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Unless there's specifically an issue with your bearings/rings, or you have the engine apart already to upgrade pistons/rods for FI, I'd just send it on the stock bottom end.
        The return per dollar to stroke it with stock parts on an FI engine isn't worth it unless you are simultaneously doing something to the bottom end to allow it to take more boost or abuse.
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by DomJK View Post
          I've got a 2000 528i with double vanos (M52TUB28) and I was wondering what parts would I be able to use if I wanted to build or buy a stroker kit as my motor is getting weak and needs a rebuild plus I'm planning on either putting a supercharger back on the car or putting a turbo on it
          Have you rebuilt your vanos yet? Also, what supercharger did you have on it before?
          sigpic

Comment

Isn't the M52TU an aluminum block/iron cylinder core like the M54?
            In which case, the 'liners' are only a couple mm thick, so boring for displacement doesn't net you much...

+1 for not bothering for forced induction- you'll do better to just up the boost a little.

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
              Isn't the M52TU an aluminum block/iron cylinder core like the M54?
              isnt it only europe with alloy m52?
              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

M52TU is Aluminum worldwide. Not sure if they're steel liner or Alusil/electroplated liner.

I've seen people resleeve the steel liner M52 non-TU at stock bore, no idea if there's room to overbore in the TU, but I really don't think it's worth looking into for the cost/benefit.
                Originally posted by priapism
                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                Originally posted by shameson
                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Working...
                X