Corner weighed my S52 E30 tonight--

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corner weighed my S52 E30 tonight--

We were corner-weighing a time trials car today at work and we still had the scales out tonight when we had out regular Wednesday night "open house". A few guys decided to weigh their cars. I did the same to see how the S52 really throws off the balance of the car, compared to the other cars.

E30 '87 325es; S52, euro bumpers, spoilers, cloth door panels and rear seat, vinyl sport drivers seat, no passenger seat at the moment, early carpet, no spare, no A/C, no P/S, no radio or antenna (speakers and iPod for sound), trunk tool kit still present.

Weight without driver and 1/4 tank--

Total: 2455 lbs.

LF: 658 lbs. RF: 675 lbs.
    LR: 565 lbs. RR: 556 lbs.

Cross weights--

LF/RR: 49.4%
    RF/LR: 50.5%

Weight with driver and 1/4 tank--

Total: 2606 lbs.

LF: 724 lbs. RF: 688 lbs.
    LR: 618 lbs. RR: 575 lbs.

Cross weights--

LF/RR: 49.9%
    RF/LR: 50.0%

Balance F/R: 54%/46%

The scales only give 99.9% on the cross weights, so that's why the numbers dont add up to 100% even. The F/R and cross weight percentages are calculated and displayed on the computer unit.

I dont have all of the information on the other cars, but this is what I have--

E30 '88 M3; w/ Evo 3 splitter, spoiler, 16" basketweaves, and otherwise stock--

Total weight without driver and full tank: 2805 lbs.

LF/RR: 49.6%
    RF/LR: 50.3%

E30 '87 325is DE car; light front seats (one is fixed-back), no rear seat, no trunk tar, no rear parcel shelf, 16" spare wheel.

Total weight with driver and 3/4 tank: 2780 lbs.

LF/RR: 50.0%
    RF/RR: 49.9%

There were a few other cars that I didnt record info on. They werent E30's, so it doesnt do me much good.

Just thought it might be entertaining info for you guys, cheers.

Ryan

Edit-- I need to get some pictures to add to this thread..
    Last edited by rThor432; 06-24-2009, 09:13 PM.

wow, thats very cool
    -Alex

Comment

Good stuff. Yes for the pics.
      - skipping the E36 generation completely -

Originally posted by Stephen
      Alot of newer cars do nothing for me

Comment

Balance of M3 and iS?
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

So you did you just weigh it, or are those your results after tinkering with your ride height?

I am surprised to see the weight, can't wait to see what mine weighs when I'm done.
          Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
          Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
          One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
            Balance of M3 and iS?
            I dont have this written down and that is why I didnt post it up. IIRC the M3's F/R balance was ~51.2%/48.8%. The E30 iS was ~53.2%/46.8%.

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
              So you did you just weigh it, or are those your results after tinkering with your ride height?

I am surprised to see the weight, can't wait to see what mine weighs when I'm done.
              All 3 of these were on static springs and shocks, so no adjustments could be made outside of adding/removing spring pads. None of us messed with them last night. I removed my spring pads a while back.

As far as weight distribution, we rolled onto the rack/scales and weighed the cars as we had driven them to the shop. No weight was moved around.

The M3 was about spot on where I expected it being fully optioned with the bonus ~15 lbs. of spoiler and gurney flap. The owner of the 325is is probably ~170 lbs. so his car being roughly 2600 lbs. was a bit of a surprise. He still has functioning A/C, P/S, and a spare tire. 2600 lbs. seems on the light side, but the car is stripped a good bit and does have a few lighter aftermarket parts on it to replace stock steel parts.

I was surprised by my car's weight. Would have thought ~2600 lbs. Guess not.

Comment

I am also surprised by your weight. I am at 2380, with a fully gutted 87 325is w/m20. I mean fully gutted: no carpet, door panels, headliner, sound deadening, trunk carpet/liners, tools/jack/amp, etc..., no radio/speakers, etc... Also lightweight single 2.5" exhaust and headers. Just one 15lb drivers seat inside. How you are only 75 lbs heavier then me blows my mind.
                85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                e30 restoration and V8 swap
                24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

89 325is. Nothing removed. 2750lbs, no driver, 1/2 tank, 14" bottles, spare tire. Braille lighweight battery.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                    How you are only 75 lbs heavier then me blows my mind.
                    I wish I knew. I've considered weight every time that I've put a part on the car. I always assume the lighter it is or the lighter I can make it, the better. Maybe all of that just added up? The guy with the '87 325is asked how I did it and I told him it was all in the magic Euro bumpers.

Dammit, I just realized that I forgot to make the DCColegrove reference joke in my original post... I was going to talk about aerospace wiring and spot welding panels to get rid of bolts...

Comment

90e30 325is. M54, no a/c compressor, no driver,
                      full tank of gas. no trunk tar, full interior. complete M3 OBD2 exhaust.
                      2700#

If I removed the pax seat, emptied the gas and got rid of the rest of my a/c I still wouldn't be close to that. And that's with an aluminum motor!

Comment

I wonder how much weight my BMP front and rear bumpers save over the stock stuff.
                        Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                        Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                        One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                          I wonder how much weight my BMP front and rear bumpers save over the stock stuff.

Not much on the rear - I'm willing to bet my BMP rear is within 5lb of my metal rear bumper/trim. I guess depending on your bracket setup, you could save weight considering the bumper shocks are a bit heavy. Certainly nothing major though. Front bumper - that could be a different story, it's just urethane and flimsy as hell.

Comment

Gosh, under 2500 is GREAT!

Makes all those claims about engine swaps messing up the balance kinda moot, huh?
                            I'm really surprised, even with just static springs.
                            You just need to pull a couple more things and you could break in to 23xx!! (trunk tar?)
                            But it would be better if the weight came off the front.. (glass/fiber hood?)

edit: oh yeah, the euro bumps = magic. I can't believe we got hosed so bad whenever I pick up a FULL euro bumper set that weighs less than ONE US bumper.
                            Slicktop City!

Comment

Originally posted by ldsbeaker View Post
                              edit: oh yeah, the euro bumps = magic. I can't believe we got hosed so bad whenever I pick up a FULL euro bumper set that weighs less than ONE US bumper.
                              Really? That's good to know. All that weight hanging so far over the axles...

Between those bumpers and the weight of my roll bar, I guess that explains why your car isn't that much heavier then mine, rThor.

Comment

Working...
                              X