Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you interested in doing a 24v swap? Read this!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to be using this for my future m50 swap
    Originally posted by audiquattrot
    bimmers b4 b*tches....remember that.
    1990 Alpinweiss 325i - secret 500whp build
    2000 Audi S4 B5 Laser Red
    1990 Nissan 240sx - Drift Missile
    2006 CBR600RR

Comment

I've seen that car from rmeuropean in person, it's a clean swap

PM me for detailing services in the Longmont / Boulder Area in Colorado!
      Originally posted by DTM190
      "fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

Checking in...

I own the site e30dohc.com/wiki, and I noticed how much spam keeps accumulating there.

I deleted all the user accounts and am in the process of erasing all the spam pages.

If you want to create a new user account, you will need to verify your email and complete the Captcha. I hope this helps cut down on spam.

Anyone that wants to clean up spam pages and get $20 paypal'd to them upon completion, send me a PM.

Also, anyone that wants to have mod powers on the wiki, please let me know. I'm not too active on the e30 scene lately.
        E30 Wiki: e30dohc.com/wiki

Comment

Throttle Cable FYI:
          E34 Vs E36 Cables.
          E34 at the top.
          The E34 cable looks good cosmetically.
          The Achillies heel of the E34 cable is the length of the cable at the throttle body end of the piece.
          It is just a tad short at the TB end. Once installed, and the cable adjusted, the wire is still taut and exerting pull on the linkage. Ergo raised idle. and jumping throttle on bumpy roads.
          You can get some slack by shaving the back side of the anchor grommet by 5mm or so.
          Then it works fine.
          The E36 cable is shorter overall but has more cable exposed at the Throttle body linkage.

m
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 7pilot View Post
            Throttle Cable FYI:
            E34 Vs E36 Cables.
            E34 at the top.
            The E34 cable looks good cosmetically.
            The Achillies heel of the E34 cable is the length of the cable at the throttle body end of the piece.
            It is just a tad short at the TB end. Once installed, and the cable adjusted, the wire is still taut and exerting pull on the linkage. Ergo raised idle. and jumping throttle on bumpy roads.
            You can get some slack by shaving the back side of the anchor grommet by 5mm or so.
            Then it works fine.
            The E36 cable is shorter overall but has more cable exposed at the Throttle body linkage.

m

Wouldn't this depend on what the engine is from? My e34 cable works fine on my e34 m50, for example.
            85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
            e30 restoration and V8 swap
            24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
              Wouldn't this depend on what the engine is from? My e34 cable works fine on my e34 m50, for example.
              The pictured cables are M50 applications and usage is for the M/S 5x in the E30, my bad.

Your question did actually give some pause for thought, ie Perhaps instead, I could have bent the anchor bracket on the Throttle body towards the Pull linkage to shorten the distance.

m

Comment

Originally posted by 7pilot View Post
                The pictured cables are M50 applications and usage is for the M/S 5x in the E30, my bad.

Your question did actually give some pause for thought, ie Perhaps instead, I could have bent the anchor bracket on the Throttle body towards the Pull linkage to shorten the distance.

m

What I meant was, my e34 cable works fine in my e30 with an m50 from an e34. Anyone who uses an e34 m50, will most likely keep all associated brackets, which means the e34 cable will work perfect.
                85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                e30 restoration and V8 swap
                24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Couple tid bits:

OBD1- unless late 94 or 95 likely doesn't have EWS and if so there is a DIY to disable. To get proper temp signal you must switch out the rear most temp sensor usually blue in color and exchange it for the typically brown E30 temp sensor used on M42,S14'sM20's and M10's.

OBD2- You have two options on EWS:
                  Option A- transfer over matching key,EWS module,and DME all from same car. You will need the harness and ring antenna from around ignition. In short, this method is a real pain in the ass and you may as well do an OBD1 harness and sensor swap and use an OBD1 DME to run you engine.

Option B- Send off your OBD2 DME to a tuner and have the EWS disabled and pay the fee. Bimmerworld,Active, and The Racers Market all do these, and TRM provides a few extra services as well like tunes,trouble code /rear O2 delete, etc. If you are running OBD2 you will need to have the head drilled and tapped for the M20 sensor unless you have a head casting that has a plug there (usually 96/97) or some have removed the nipple in the head and tapped a sensor to fit there. The preferred method is to tap the head. Since OBD@ uses a single sensor for the DME and Gauge temps you will need to get a pigtail connector to splice into the 4 wire temp sensor connection. Here's the info so far.

The two wires from the temp sensor that run to the e36 instrument cluster are:
                  .5 BR/GE (Brown/Yellow)
                  .5 BR/VI (Brown/Violet)

The two wires from the temp sensor to the DME are:
                  .5 BR/RT (Brown/Red)
                  .5 GR/BR (Gray/Brown)

I haven't personally tried this yet and will refine it once I start that part of my current swap.

If you are making you own harness here is a nice link.

My only edit would be to use a paintbrush, sized close to the pin diameter, and pull out all the bristles. Stab it around and wiggle in a circle.

Couple parts avail here for swaps:
                  G260 transmission brace- has to be modified ( I think he does the shifter rods too)

IF you use E36 trans, no need for this use E36 trans mounts.

Harness adapter:
                  Originally posted by 325Projectz
                  don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
                  :nice:

Comment

anyone still in this post? doing my first m50 swapped would love an appreciate the help i have most of the parts needed m50 crate motor 5 speed tranny e36 wiring harness, my shell is an automatic but im good to go with making it a manual just need help on mounting the engine an running the harness to the e30

Comment

Originally posted by 89/325i View Post
                      anyone still in this post? doing my first m50 swapped would love an appreciate the help i have most of the parts needed m50 crate motor 5 speed tranny e36 wiring harness, my shell is an automatic but im good to go with making it a manual just need help on mounting the engine an running the harness to the e30
                      tried reading the posts on this yet?

i havn't done the swap, but by reading it doesn't look like rocket science.

Comment

lol it doesnt but just a few questions i would like to ask before i start buying more crazy parts

Comment

Originally posted by 89/325i View Post
                          lol it doesnt but just a few questions i would like to ask before i start buying more crazy parts
                          new thread maybe?

Comment

I'm doing this swap right now too.......The stickies on this site are a big help, but theres a lot of questions I still cant find an answer too, or not a clear one anyway...

Still dont know how to identify which oil pan is currently on my M50.......
                            Still dont know if I need to switch my motor mount arms or not, I heard both ways.....
                            And few other real specific things I cant think of right now

24V M50, M3 cams, Turner Tune, full exhaust, ect....

Comment

Originally posted by highoutput View Post
                              I'm doing this swap right now too.......The stickies on this site are a big help, but theres a lot of questions I still cant find an answer too, or not a clear one anyway...

Still dont know how to identify which oil pan is currently on my M50.......
                              Still dont know if I need to switch my motor mount arms or not, I heard both ways.....
                              And few other real specific things I cant think of right now

here is a pic I made in MS paint to help you

the e34 pan has a front sump, and the e36 has a rear sump ( which is basically where the oil sits, and where the pump picks it up from)

Also you need e36 motor mount arms, they look like these

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

That's a good diagram Matt, way to step in with some good information. :up:

Comment

Working...
                                X