Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tubular Front Sub frame and Custom Pan for dual pump set up

Hey Guys,

I am working with a local fabricator to build a tubular front sub frame and custom oil pan to allow for either a euro S50 or S54 pan and pump set up to work in the E30 chassis. This will eliminate the need to use an e34 pan and m50 pump set up when swapping in an S54, Euro S50, or to allow for a dual pick up for a US S50/S52 into an E30.

We have completed the first one and it is going out for final powder coating. The new pan has slightly more capacity that the factory S54 and euro pan and the front sub frame is fully reinforced. Another benefit is that the pan is not the lowest point of the car, the sub frame is. This is not the case with the e34 pan. We have created a jig that will allow us to reproduce these as needed and I am testing the waters to see if anyone is interested. Once I have the first one back from powder coating I will post pictures.

If you are interested in something like this please shoot me a PM. Thank you in advance!

Sam
    Last edited by Lag; 01-02-2011, 08:20 AM.

I may be interested, but I'd like to see pics first. Both out of the car and installed. And a weight comparison between stock and the new part.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by e30_325es View Post
      i may be interested, but i'd like to see pics first. Both out of the car and installed. And a weight comparison between stock and the new part.
      +1
      ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

Interested. Please post pics.

Comment

Is this a stock modified, or, new fabrication oil pan based set up?

Comment

Hey Guys,

Thank you for the responses. The cross member retains the outer stock mounts (where the sub frame bolts to the car, and where the motor mounts to the sub frame) and is then cut and a tubular piece is put in place. When the stock center is cut, the end pieces are fully boxed, and then the tube goes through the boxed section and then is welded and gusseted. It is also reinforced by the engine mounts same as kits that are sold and it also has the sway bar mounts reinforced.

The pan is a factory pan that has the original rear sump removed and a new sump fabbed in place.

I will get pictures as soon as I have it back from coating.

Sam
            Last edited by Lag; 01-02-2011, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Ohhh so you need a custom pan too? Which one do you modify, e34 or e36?
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

We take the stock S54 or Euro pan and modify those.

Comment

i'm interested to see what you came up with.

how are you designing? are you an engineer? any FEA experience? It will be difficult to beat the stock one purpose/weight/cost wise. I understand the oil pickup benefits of the m/s54, but is all this really necessary. I'm looking at it from a cost/gains/reliability standpoint. Short of my oil pump nut 'failure', i haven't experienced oil starvation, pressure or foaming problems and i don't even have a baffle on my s52 track car.. though i should add one since i'm rebuilding it now..

Lag brings up different approach, could you add a link or pics?
                  No more e30s for me.
                  88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                  88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                  91 BMW 325i [sold]
                  86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                  http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Does this new subframe allow for the use of the euro s50 headers? You can use them with a stock subframe but you have to modify it by cutting out a chunk so that headers fit.

Comment

I went to school for mechanical design, so while not being an Engineer, I do have some design experience. The fabricator also has extensive experience. He has been doing this for many years and his father was a very good fabricator as well. So he has been doing it since he was a little kid.

As far as oil starvation and US S5X's you are right, there are not many reports of oil starvation, although there are plenty of guys who race those cars that upgrade to the dual pick up system for a reason. There have been people who have had problems with oil starvation on the euro motors and have gone dry sump. Another benefit of this is an oil pan that is not lower than the sub frame. The E34 pan hangs down pretty low and for cars that are really low, this can be an issue.

I do think that this sub frame would allow for the euro headers. I have an S54 that we used for mock up and it clears my KK headers with ease! Once I have pictures up you can take a look and let me know what you think.

Sam

Comment

Woah!

Check Us out on Facebook
                        Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                        Full Product Line Tuning
                        OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

I understand the reason and goal of a subframe that allows use of the e36 Euro and e46 s54 dual pick-up systems.
                          However I find it a little odd that you chose to modify a stock subframe instead of just fabbing up an all tubular unit like the ones available for e36 & Rx7 LS1 swaps.

In reality its not a tublar subframe but just a "modified subframe". ;)

I'm definitely in for pics and how about an expected price point?
                          Are you supplying the original pans to be modified or are you expecting potential buyers to supply their own to you?

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Yea we could have gone with a full custom front sub frame but we decided that there would be minimal benefit and also result in a more expensive piece. Right now we have minimum quantities of S54/euro pans and stock front sub frames so we could provide them if needed but it would drive up the price. Most people purchasing these motors are getting them with the pan and already have a sub frame so it would be less expensive and easier for all to just send them in for modification. We are not trying to make a business out of this but are trying to offer a great solution that will fit peoples needs.

As far as a price point we have not fully decided yet but it will be under $1k with parts supplied which is much less than the quotes I have gotten else where and worth the $ IMO.

Sam

Comment

seems interesting waiting for pics
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X