Official Electric Fan wiring thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 325e10 View Post
    yes replace the 3 pin switch with the 2 pin switch.
    Thanks. what do i use for the 2pin connector/harness to the fan .just replace existing3 pin with some 2 pin ?
    sorry kind of losing it here :?
    My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

Originally posted by gkurey View Post
      I run the 80/88 3 pole sensor, and the fan kicks on low speed at about 2/3 up the gauge...seems a little off? I run the 80C T-stat and my temp while driving holds between 1/3 and 1/2 marks. If I sit in traffic, the temp creeps up above half and, as stated above, the fan doesn't start up until the upper 2/3 area. Is that what you guys with the 80/88 Are experiencing?

Seems wrong to me....maybe they accidentally gave me a 91/99 switch? Can anyone vouch for the approximate temp at the 2/3 mark? My fan is an aftermarket SPAL and the wiring is good to go, just not working in the expected regime.
      I ran the exact same setup, stock 89' 3 pole sensor and 80C T-stat and while driving holds at 1/2mark, and fan comes on at 2/3

Comment

Originally posted by bzboardz View Post
        I ran the exact same setup, stock 89' 3 pole sensor and 80C T-stat and while driving holds at 1/2mark, and fan comes on at 2/3
        either you have the wrong thermoswitch or you have it wired backwards.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by 36brua View Post
          Thanks. what do i use for the 2pin connector/harness to the fan .just replace existing3 pin with some 2 pin ?
          sorry kind of losing it here :?
          That is stated in the OP but

after the 3 pin connector for the fan. The brown wire is ground. The Black wire is low speed (if you want AC you need to hook this up) and the Red wire is High speed (what the temp switch will kick on).

So Brown (from the car) goes to the ground wire on the fan while red and black wire(from the car) go to the power wire on the fan. Only one wire sends energy at a time. Never both.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            either you have the wrong thermoswitch or you have it wired backwards.
            I currently have it wired to the high speed (black/brown) I will try wiring it on the low speed (black) and see what that does. If not then I will look into the 2 pole switch in OP

Comment

Originally posted by 325e10 View Post
              That is stated in the OP but

after the 3 pin connector for the fan. The brown wire is ground. The Black wire is low speed (if you want AC you need to hook this up) and the Red wire is High speed (what the temp switch will kick on).

So Brown (from the car) goes to the ground wire on the fan while red and black wire(from the car) go to the power wire on the fan. Only one wire sends energy at a time. Never both.
              Thanks for info I can start with ! :)
              My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

My experience

I have finally completed this!

I went a somewhat different route than the instructions.
                At first I had wired my FAN ground to the brown wire. My fan POWER to the black wire. Then for my 2 prong 82C thermo switch I connected blackbrown wire to the black green wire and attached that to one prong. Then I connected the black wire to the 2nd prong.
                When i did this the fan would turn on whenever I had turned the key on. My dads friend who is an electrician came home and helped us out. We did a lot of testing of all the wires and finally realized that the method in the pictures Im posting works.

This is the green/black wire attached to one male prong and the black/brown wire attached to the other male prong. I realized that when u have the BK/Gree and BK/BRO together it gives the fan juice no matter what so I decided to plug them in that way so when the switch closes it gives me power.

Here the brown and red wires are staggered and taped together so that they do not cause any problems.
                The yellow is my ground from the fan and is attached to my hood.
                The black and red are the power the fan receives.

Comment

Relays. Broken

Check Us out on Facebook
                  Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                  Full Product Line Tuning
                  OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Junkie youre saying that my relay is broken thats why it was happening?

Comment

Yup. Seen it happen a few times. Change out the high or low speed relays and it won't do that anymore

Check Us out on Facebook
                      Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                      Full Product Line Tuning
                      OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Slightly confused on what all I am tapping into, and running to the fan. My setup is on an m30 swapped car using a 318ti 3 prong switch, but the wiring should be pretty much the same. Am I tapping into the thermo switch wiring? If so, where are those wires going to/from? Or am I just hooking up to the factory fan plug as stated by the first part of the original post?

Thanks!

Comment

factory fan plug if youre putting an aftermarket fan in there.

Check Us out on Facebook
                          Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

I'm having a bit of a problem..

My fan is wired up exactly how it is shown below.

If I touch the two terminal together, the fan turns on. However, the fan will never turn on when the car is running...Even up to the 3/4 mark.

The fan switch is an 82 degree unit, and I have an 80 degree thermostat.
                            '91 "318is" slick top M50 turbo
                            '97 Dodge 3500 12v Cummins
                            '12 Mini Cooper S
                            '89 318i Chump Car Project

Comment

reviving this thread.

I'm looking to wire my spal to my a/c fan hook up so it will run automatically when the coolant reaches 82* and also use my a/c switch as an override.
                              I will snap a few pics of what plugs I have in my car as it is swapped now with a 2jz

body harness is an 86e

mtech1/2jzgte/r154/275tire
                              function>form

Comment

Should be the same as anything else as its part of the body harness not the engine harness.

Check Us out on Facebook
                                Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

Working...
                                X