Exhaust question for S52 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Philo View Post
    You could always use the S52 headers and weld up the secondary air pump channels.
    Originally posted by Lof8 View Post
    This is what I did and would recommend. No fitment issues, no rasp, no risk of rusting through, relatively cheap.
    Same here.

I bolted up a stock exhaust from an E36 323 for a few weeks just to get the car on the road. There was no way I could install the sway with that exhaust and I had to add some clearance (read: hammer) to clear the subframe.

My new exhaust is custom from the two S52 header flanges back. It incorporates adequate clearance for the sway bar and subframe. My car has dyno'ed very strong with the stock S52 headers and it sounds great. At this point in time I see no need to spend my money on anything else.
    sigpic
    Bodykit courtesy of BMW M GmbH.

Comment

Originally posted by Philo View Post
      You could always use the S52 headers and weld up the secondary air pump channels.
      Yes but aftermarket headers give some extra hp, right? or it only matters if you use more drastic mods like cams?

Originally posted by r4esh View Post
      I have the raceland headers that are heat wrapped on my s52 swapped e30 m3 still in progress and they are resting on the sway bar / I had to drop the swap bar to fit them. I have treehouse lollipops, they wouldn't clear without those or a little "massaging", but I'm still not sure what to do about my sway bar. I might massage the headers a little so I can bolt it back up, but again mine are heat wrapped so that extra padding isn't helping... some of it may have to go. Just my experience so far.
      Thanks for the heads up about the clearance! i don't like this kind of suprises...

Comment

has anybody run factory headers then switch to aftermarket? what did the butt dino say? is it noticeable?

Comment

Originally posted by treff-7 View Post
          has anybody run factory headers then switch to aftermarket? what did the butt dino say? is it noticeable?
          I switched from factory OBD2 headers to S50b32 (euro) headers and the Dynomax dyno said I gained about 7hp centered on around 3000rpm, but only after I changed the tune. No gain at higher rpms.

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
            I switched from factory OBD2 headers to S50b32 (euro) headers and the Dynomax dyno said I gained about 7hp centered on around 3000rpm, but only after I changed the tune. No gain at higher rpms.
            i think raceland claims 10-14 hp gain with their long headers but i can't imagine it gives you more boost than an euro header.
            i was planning on using TMS software but i don't know if it's optimized for stock or aftermarket/euro headers. if it's for long headers i will get one from RL. 7 hp doesn't sound much but a little here and there can add up nicely.

Comment

The OBD2 manifolds aren't much of a restriction on a stock head. Even S52's flow fine with them. Headers won't instantly give you more power. I'd wager 3hp at max, and that is if the channels and collectors are properly made.

If you want to free up some exhaust power, try using a high/free-flow cat, making sure you have proper exhaust pipe, and use a decent muffler. If you use lighter parts, you'll also free up some weight which would make it feel like there was slightly more power.
              -tim
              Originally posted by Jordan
              I like the stance
              -Coining hip terms since 10/9/03

Comment

Both me and my buddy run Stock S52 headers with zero issues.

Comment

California = Smog station so make sure you find a place that will pass a set of headers.

Thought headers were a big no no out that way.
                  https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                    California = Smog station so make sure you find a place that will pass a set of headers.

Thought headers were a big no no out that way.
                    Technically a Cali legal s52 swap must use obd1 headers, but most inspectors won't know the difference as long as you plug the extra o2 bungs on obd2 headers. Although I dont think they'll be ok with shiny aftermarket headers.

Comment

Thank you all for the help!

M-technik-3 and pandaboo911:
                      it has to be california smog legal so it looks like i'm sticking with full stock exhaust for now. after the BAR inspection i'll ask the guy at the test station i always use if he would pass it with headers. he's a bmw fan however 2 years ago he sent me away with my cone filter and made me put stock airbox on. i kinda understood because it was a pretty obvious mod but he might be willing to look away and not care about a tiny hidden header.;)

Comment

Hate to say it but doubtful that he would pass it. Not worth his license
                        https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                          Hate to say it but doubtful that he would pass it. Not worth his license
                          well... no headers for me then....

Comment

Yeah. I had a rough time getting my car to pass state safety inspections. The shop noticed that I had a power steering rack without a pump or lines. For that reason, He couldn't pass me. Apparently if the car is equipped with a power steering rack, it must have a fully functioning system. I can't imagine how horrid it is to get a car on the road in cali.
                            -tim
                            Originally posted by Jordan
                            I like the stance
                            -Coining hip terms since 10/9/03

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.SWISS View Post
                              You mean subframe? I can't visualize how they would interfere with the sway bar......
                              E30 M3s have the swaybar pickup on the strut tube, not the control arm like a standard E30...I'm wondering how my swaybar clearance is going to be; I bought the Raceland long tubes and have E30 M3 suspension and a ST 21mm sway up front. I would think the clearance would be better, but then again I haven't gotten under my car in a while to really see.

When I get that far I'll let everyone know and take some pictures.

'91 318is - OBD-II S52 swapped - E30 M3 5-lug - 5x120 BBS RC090 (E39 Style 5) - TCK D/A coilovers 550/700 [SOLD]
                              '87 535i - Vacuum brake conversion [SOLD]
                              '93 525iT - 5-speed swap - 320k and counting
                              '09 328xi - 6-speed

Comment

Apparently Bimmerworld sells a sway bar setup that is specially curved to give extra clearance for long tube headers. Mind you this is designed for m20 long tubes, I would like to know how they work with 24v swaps though.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Working...
                                X