Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NC325iC 24v build thread

Hello fellows,

I thought I'd start a thread about my upcoming build where I can post details of how I'm doing the swap and more so to ask for help.

For those of you who haven't seen my feeler thread, I have decided to sell my Pete McHenry built m20 stroker. I had contemplated selling the car, but I like the car too much for that, but I wanted a more modern, reliable, and smooth operating powerplant for it. So here we are.

So I started researching a little more, the DIY thread by craiggroves91 was a lot of help. The spreadsheet of parts is helpful also. So I started creating my own shopping list and getting things priced out from 4-5 sources: Bav auto, BMA Parts, Blunttech, and ECStuning, with a bonus column for a random place to jump in if needed.

So, my list was made, it is not complete which is where the questions will come in later. I started hunting the parts that I wouldnt buy new, a trip to visit Rigmaster was in order. With the hope to find a 2.8 m52 for a decent price I found one that he had already pulled, but it was already sold. But he told me about an s52 that he had for sale also, decently low miles and a much better price than anything I had seen elsewhere, sold on the spot. I also picked up the m50 manifold, oil pan, pickup, dipstick, etc...

So with the engine sorted I had to decide on the transmission. I was down to the g260 or the zf 6 speed, I'm not a big fan of the zf trans from the e36. I just recently bought a new clutch for my m20 so thats money saved there, but... 6 speed... im a bit torn. Research on the 6 speed showed that I would need the trans, flywheel, starter, new clutch, e90 mount+ custom "floor mount", slave cyl, m3 auto driveshaft, and custom shift linkage. For the 260 I would need the trans, custom mount, shift linkage, custom selector rod, new seals for the trans, and driveshaft to match the trans. g260 would cost about $600 total, 6 speed would be $1200+ all said and done, plus I cant find enough solid info on the "floor mount" or the shift linkage. So as it stands I am going with the g260, please try to talk me out of it...

So, back to the engine and install related questions that I have.

Section 1: Heater hoses. What heater hoses do you use, the only info I could find out is how one of them goes on top and the other on the bottom. Also, my car has the additional thermostat that BMW retrofitted to keep from popping heater cores, do i keep that in place for the swap?

Section 2: Exhaust. I know the headers are the obd2 ones with the SAP welded up. After that is everything custom back to the muffler?

Section 3: Cruise Control. I'd like to have cruise control, what system do you guys use e36? e30? mix and match?

Section 4: AC. I dont have it currently but would like to in the future. e36 compressor fits with all the e30 hoses?
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
    Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

We use E30 in E36 out heater hoses...

Check Us out on Facebook
    Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
    Full Product Line Tuning
    OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Heater hose layout is the same as e30

Do a custom exhaust, mine is a 3 piece so I can unbolt the centre section to drop the trans etc.

if you have cruise already, just swap the bowden cable from the throttle body to the cruise servo. thats all i did.

I'm running all the stock e30 stuff with the S50 compressor. Requires 1 custom hose and a 318 hose. I put R134 in the to test but now that I know it doesn't leak and operates as it should, I'm putting some from my R12 stash in.

I'm in downtown Raleigh if you want to take a peek at mine.
      '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

Originally posted by e30rapidic View Post
        I'm running all the stock e30 stuff with the S50 compressor. Requires 1 custom hose and a 318 hose. I put R134 in the to test but now that I know it doesn't leak and operates as it should, I'm putting some from my R12 stash in.
        Come on....

Comment

Don't worry, I have that thread saved
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC View Post
            Don't worry, I have that thread saved
            Wasn't directed at you. :) See the quote in that post.

Comment

No more Team M20? Your car was the fastest NA M20 ive ridden in. Good luck on your project. Im still around if you need a hand. :up:

COTM

Comment

Another great parts source is RMEuropean. I'm not sure about in other parts of the country, but I get my parts in two days with very competitive pricing compared to the others.

Comment

Originally posted by glucklich21 View Post
                  Wasn't directed at you. :) See the quote in that post.
                  Directed at me. What's your point?
                  '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

Also, you said "if you have the e30 cruise" to keep it. But what if I dont currently have cruise? Should I try to fit the e36 system?

Comment

I managed to clean up my oil pickup today. Quick story, when I was out at rigmaster's place, he sold me an oil pickup. I took it home and cleaned it up to find a hole in the casting. It didn't look like it had been dropped or anything, just looked like a bad casting. So I was able to exchange with one that was a little rusty on the lower sheet metal cup and I got that cleaned up. On the second one the casting doesn't have any complete holes but it looks slightly porous. Do these things commonly have casting issues?
                      Last edited by NC325iC; 04-15-2015, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Big lazy update: Rigmaster dropped off the engine and transmission today. Ive decided to go with the zf so i dont need to get a new diff.

I started working on the engine, pulled the harness off, intake manifold, accesories, pulleys, oilpan and pickup etc...

I pulled the thermostat housing on a whim, i didnt plan to replace it. Thermostat is broken so i will replace it and get a metal housing. After seeing the thermostat broken i decided that i will do a leak down test. Does anyone know if you can do a leakdown test with the oilpan etc off? I would assume it would be find since its just a check of cylinder pressure. Anyway I pulled the spark plugs and will get new of those too.

In regards to the thermostat, the m20 runs a 80*C thermostat, the s52 runs at 88*C. The m20 had to add a 2ndary thermostat to the heater core line to prevent failure. Does this need to stay in place? Will my gauge read properly or will it constantly read too high?

I have placed 3 sets of parts orders for engine prep (belt, tensioner, pulleys, various seals/gaskets) havent really started getting any installation parts yet. I made a 3 stage spreadsheet, engine sub trans sub and installation.

Comment

Need some help. I'm working on new vanos seals. Haven't pulled the unit yet just pulled the valve cover and lined up to tdc. This looks like the cams aren't timed properly, could it be the vanos piston stuck?

Comment

Just red the step with the 24mm wrench. Crisis averted... Just need to find a way to hold things still. Anyone in Raleigh have the cam tool?

Comment

Regarding the cruise control. I bought an entire E30 setup and used the E36 bowden cable. Works like a charm but I need to find a better power source (I used my remote amp turn on and the cruise cuts in and out occasionally).
                              91 318is M50 swapped
                              05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Working...
                              X