Turbo time for my S50 on a "budget"

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    I would be happy with a reliable 400 whp. Living at 4500 ft that would make my car formidable.

    Leave a comment:


  • vaughnbannister
    replied
    Originally posted by BMW_TUNER
    You are probably right. I can just see the slippery slope when I take it to the shop. I.E. "well the bores could use some work so you should just get oversize and go custom pistons....... and since you are doing pistons you should just do rods"...and down the rabbit whole I go. :devil:

    Sounds exactly where I am... [emoji23] "valves could bend under that much PSI" well now supertech valves..
    What is you overall goal with this? Not touch as much internals as possible?

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    Originally posted by iiTzvaughn
    Awesome! Well I mean not for your wallet lol. I think you're going to happy to not have that sinking feeling in the back of your mind about the "what ifs"


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You are probably right. I can just see the slippery slope when I take it to the shop. I.E. "well the bores could use some work so you should just get oversize and go custom pistons....... and since you are doing pistons you should just do rods"...and down the rabbit whole I go. :devil:

    Leave a comment:


  • vaughnbannister
    replied
    Originally posted by BMW_TUNER
    I am bitting the bullet and pulling the whole motor apart you are right a couple hundred dollars worth of machine work is worth it to not have to pull the engine.

    Awesome! Well I mean not for your wallet lol. I think you're going to happy to not have that sinking feeling in the back of your mind about the "what ifs"


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    Originally posted by iiTzvaughn
    id say better safe then sorry... you don't want to have to do everything twice.
    I am bitting the bullet and pulling the whole motor apart you are right a couple hundred dollars worth of machine work is worth it to not have to pull the engine.

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    Originally posted by iiTzvaughn
    id say better safe then sorry... you don't want to have to do everything twice.
    True but with such a small low spot I am not sure. It would probably only take a few more passes with the stone to get the surface flat. Not to mention the cost of the rod bolts and the crank bolts and all the bearings.

    Leave a comment:


  • vaughnbannister
    replied
    id say better safe then sorry... you don't want to have to do everything twice.

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    So I began the process of stone grinding the block today. It appears that the area between my cylinders is down from the deck height about .003 inch. I am wondering if I should just continue on honing until i reach a uniform height or if i should bite the bullet and pull the entire engine apart and send it to the machine shop.

    Leave a comment:


  • vaughnbannister
    replied
    I had a stage 3 F1 lightweight flywheel and clutch on my supercharged s50 running about 400 wheel if you wanna look in to that, held up nicely.
    But now that I'm going turbo I'm going with the light weight flywheel of death and UUC kevlar clutch set up. But thats not budget.. lol

    Interested to see more!

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied

    Can still see the cross hatch from my last hone.

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    Pulled the engine today everything looks pretty good. I need more clutch for 255's for sure and the guibo is not happy. Otherwise everything else looks good.

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    Got a little closer t pulling the engine. Harness is off to the side tilt puller is installed. Nose is off the car. Power steering is drained and I also removed the one PITA bolt against the firewall on the starter.





    These parts have been waiting for a bit.


    Also might have a good reason to figure out fitment on these. The E36 M3 LTW rotors and M3 Calipers have done will with 2600# and S50 power but the Turbo may make these necessary.

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    My flywheel is S50 13lb I beleive

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    :rippedoff:
    Originally posted by hyperE30
    You will love it!

    If on the budged get the eBay fx clutch and PP stg3, flywheel of your choice but do run a oem TOB. I been running the F1 stg4 for 2+ years with no issues. F1=fx. What's your power goal?
    I currently have a findanza ltw flywheel so I am contacted grip force and they will sell me a stage 3 pressure plate, disc and throw out for $315. Power goal on the daily side is 400. I would like to use an ebc and have multiple boost levels on que including maybe a meth setting for bad behavior.

    Leave a comment:


  • hyperE30
    replied
    You will love it!

    If on the budged get the eBay fx clutch and PP stg3, flywheel of your choice but do run a oem TOB. I been running the F1 stg4 for 2+ years with no issues. F1=fx. What's your power goal?

    Leave a comment:

Working...