Turbo time for my S50 on a "budget"

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    No the planning begins.

    Leave a comment:


  • M3PO
    replied
    Originally posted by BMW_TUNER
    I like your cooler. Do you have the specs on it.
    It's the Setrab 19 row core. It's 13"x6". I have it mounted so that the bottom of it is level with the bar that splits the lower grill area. If I had the inlet and outlet on the top, it could be mounted lower, completely in front of the lower grill. As is, it holds 200F in the canyons in cool weather. Haven't tried it on the track yet.

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    Ported and polished when I built the S50 the first time in 2009.

    Leave a comment:


  • vaughnbannister
    replied
    Well, while its at the machine shop, port and polish the head. The heads on our motors really benefit from it especially the exhaust side.

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    Also just got back from my machine shop. He said my head work looked great but there was more that could be done but it wasn't needed as I am going FI. I am super lucky to have my machine shop. They actually have an torque plate for my engine. I knew it was a good shop when I saw two S50B32 blocks sitting by the door custom drilled and tapped for oil squirters. He also has the ability to engine dyno an s54 too. The shop has build NA S54's that make 420+ hp.

    For my engine It looks like I will likely be going with rods and pistons and officially taking the budget part off of the build.

    More parts to sell

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    Originally posted by M3PO
    I have the S54 housing also. They make an AN adapter so you can do a really clean setup with an aftermarket core. Sorry, I don't have any good pics of the adapter setup. PM me if you really want some.
    I like your cooler. Do you have the specs on it.

    Leave a comment:


  • M3PO
    replied
    Originally posted by exhaust
    Looks good! I'm really interested to see how you setup the S54 oil filter housing. Are you using an aftermarket cooler or the stock 325i setup?
    I have the S54 housing also. They make an AN adapter so you can do a really clean setup with an aftermarket core. Sorry, I don't have any good pics of the adapter setup. PM me if you really want some.

    Leave a comment:


  • vaughnbannister
    replied
    Trust me, it's going to be great, having my supercharged set up at around 400 wheel was awesome. Killing 99% of cars on the road, best feeling [emoji41]

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    Originally posted by TheTacoMan
    Killing all the subaru kids around here is the best, although 250whp does that in an e30. Looks like some awesome progress, going to be killer.
    Think it will make the first autocross?
    Not sure right now. Trying not to rush. I am taking the opportunity to clean a lot of stuff up. Deleting unnecessary wiring etc.

    Leave a comment:


  • TheTacoMan
    replied
    Originally posted by BMW_TUNER
    I would be happy with a reliable 400 whp. Living at 4500 ft that would make my car formidable.
    Killing all the subaru kids around here is the best, although 250whp does that in an e30. Looks like some awesome progress, going to be killer.
    Think it will make the first autocross?

    Leave a comment:


  • Sh3rpak!ng
    replied
    definitely better safe than sorry to have the block machined. iirc for a flat 6 the side to side surface tolerance is .002" and lengthwise is .006" (and those figures are for head and block combined) so that block was out of spec anyway.

    scope creep is a bitch, but you'll be all smiles when it's finished

    Leave a comment:


  • vaughnbannister
    replied
    Originally posted by BMW_TUNER
    So I can feel the budget monster creeping up on me.

    Oil pump is toast.

    Rods and mains looked fine. Took the block crank and Pistons to the machine shop to get looked at.



    Not to bad for 8-10k really hard miles.

    Have this in my back pocket in case the pistons or rods don't look so hot.
    http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/je-pi...s-pistons.html

    Looking more and more like you put budget in the name to be sarcastic [emoji23][emoji23]

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    So I can feel the budget monster creeping up on me.

    Oil pump is toast.

    Rods and mains looked fine. Took the block crank and Pistons to the machine shop to get looked at.



    Not to bad for 8-10k really hard miles.

    Have this in my back pocket in case the pistons or rods don't look so hot.
    http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/je-pi...s-pistons.html

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    Originally posted by exhaust
    Looks good! I'm really interested to see how you setup the S54 oil filter housing. Are you using an aftermarket cooler or the stock 325i setup?
    Thank you.

    I will be using an aftermarket simple 19 row setup.

    Leave a comment:


  • exhaust
    replied
    Looks good! I'm really interested to see how you setup the S54 oil filter housing. Are you using an aftermarket cooler or the stock 325i setup?

    Leave a comment:

Working...