Turbo time for my S50 on a "budget"

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 052JMK
    replied
    When you lighten your rotating assembly does that mean, you can exceed the 7,200 RPM limit without destroying your motor.. Obviously faster to rev and I assume you get slightly more power? Maybe?

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    Originally posted by vaughnbannister
    Getting the clutch balanced ?
    Sorry I meant to say that I got the clutch flywheel and new pressure plate today. I dropped the flywheel and pressure plate off to have it balances with the rotating assembly. I am figuring having it all spun is smart give the that I am taking a significant amount of weight out of the rotating assembly. My estimate is the new pistons are 297x6=1782 gram and the new rods are 489x6=2934. Factory piston weight empty is apparently 560x6=3360 and rods are 540x6=3240 so factory rotating assembly is 6600gram.

    Leave a comment:


  • vaughnbannister
    replied
    Originally posted by BMW_TUNER
    Got my clutch in today. I will swing by the engine shop tonight. Pics coming. Let the money flow.

    Getting the clutch balanced ?

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    Got my clutch in today. I will swing by the engine shop tonight. Pics coming. Let the money flow.

    Leave a comment:


  • M3PO
    replied
    Originally posted by vaughnbannister
    See, I don't really know how I feel about looking down to see the gauges. I have my oil pressure there and when I blew my motor it helped 0% [emoji30]
    I have a VDO sender that has the dummy light switch built in so it pops up on the dash if the oil pressure drops below 7 PSI.

    Leave a comment:


  • vaughnbannister
    replied
    See, I don't really know how I feel about looking down to see the gauges. I have my oil pressure there and when I blew my motor it helped 0% [emoji30]

    Leave a comment:


  • M3PO
    replied
    Oil temp, water temp, oil pressure

    Leave a comment:


  • vaughnbannister
    replied

    So this is an old pic, but this is where mine is(have my AFR there now as well) and I'm not sure if I like it anymore. But having it in the vent makes it so you don't have the vents anymore and I don't want that. Leaning more to the A-Pilar but eahhh

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    Originally posted by iiTzvaughn
    Have you got your gauges sort out yet?
    I have VDO gauges but they are just simple, wanting something more with like a warning light that flashes or something like that for boost/ oil pressure and so on.
    I am in the same boat on the gauges front and I want to be able to data log as I will likely be going with RK for the Tune. I am looking at the SCG-1 and the Turbo smart Eboost 2. I love the boost 2. Also still not happy with the mounting options for the E30 I will probably mount in the center vent just to keep it in my eye line.

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    Originally posted by iiTzvaughn
    ALWAYS turns in to the "well, while I'm in here..."
    Seriously. I started off with "well I will just deck the block then put it back together". HAHAH. Now its

    Deck Block/Clean Block repaint
    Deck Head/wash Head
    Torque Plate Hone to 86.5mm - This one was a huge learning experience for me. The engine builder explained that when the S and M blocks are TQ plated with studs some of the cylinder walls bulge a couple of thousandths out and thus impact ring sealing and longevity.
    Spin polish check Crank and check for Tolerances.

    Purchase JE 9:1 Pistons 86.5mm
    Purchase K1 Rods- recommended as superior over the Eagle (his word not mine)
    Pricing was actually pretty good on the Rods and pistons.

    Purchase new flywheel, clutch, pressure plate - Grip Force Stage 3 (know a few people who have had good experiences with the Grip Force Stuff)

    Take whole rotating assembly back to engine shop to have it rebalanced as many many grams will be coming off of the assembly.

    Then reassemble and spin to 7400rpm

    Leave a comment:


  • vaughnbannister
    replied
    Originally posted by exhaust
    This hits me right in the feels. Its fun to remember back when I was "just gonna swap it"

    ALWAYS turns in to the "well, while I'm in here..."

    Leave a comment:


  • exhaust
    replied
    Originally posted by BMW_TUNER
    Bye bye budget..... To a certain extent. Ordered JE 9:1 pistons and K1 rods today. Things should pickup speed in the next few weeks.
    This hits me right in the feels. Its fun to remember back when I was "just gonna swap it"

    Leave a comment:


  • vaughnbannister
    replied
    Have you got your gauges sort out yet?
    I have VDO gauges but they are just simple, wanting something more with like a warning light that flashes or something like that for boost/ oil pressure and so on.

    Leave a comment:


  • vaughnbannister
    replied
    Originally posted by BMW_TUNER
    Bye bye budget..... To a certain extent. Ordered JE 9:1 pistons and K1 rods today. Things should pickup speed in the next few weeks.

    I feel you [emoji24] excited to see more.

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    Bye bye budget..... To a certain extent. Ordered JE 9:1 pistons and K1 rods today. Things should pickup speed in the next few weeks.

    Leave a comment:

Working...