Turbo time for my S50 on a "budget"
Collapse
X
-
Now I am debating on wether to have the machine shop assemble my short block or do it myself. I think they only wanted like $300 to do it. -
Its a 25x12x3 unit. I was going to run a 27x12x3 from Kameron but they are back ordered.Leave a comment:
-
Talked to the machine shop. Sounds like all of the parts are coming back to me or assembly at the tend of this week. Time to Order plastigage and clean room wipes. Are there any recommendations out there for RTV on the front of the head gasket.Leave a comment:
-
I'm running the Gripforce/FX/F1 Racing Stage 3 clutch/flywheel. I had the fw/pp balanced before install, and they removed ~.4g to balance the assembly. Not sure if that's enough to affect anything, but I felt justified.
I don't think the crank harmonics of the S50 are nearly as bad as the S52. I don't think I've ever heard of issues with the S50, and you hear about issues with higher revving S52/M54's all the time. If you do end up being limited by valve float, there are some easy solutions to that. hahaLeave a comment:
-
I am struggling with what will fit and what I can get the most air flow to. I have been through the intercooler threads everywhere and I am still struggling to pick one.Leave a comment:
-
I'll take the black one (;
I'm also interested to see what Intercooler you go with. I haven't even though that far. I think your ahead of me now[emoji848]Leave a comment:
-
So I am now thinking about trying to shoe horn one of these in the upper mounting position. http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...=product_68236Leave a comment:
-
Powder coating is coming in one piece at a time.
Since I likely will not be running my S50 engine cover this red one is winning right now.
But the black looks sexy too.
Especially with the cover.
Leave a comment:
-
Loving the build. Looking forward to seeing more. Keeps me motivated to stay positive with my bronzit.:coolphoto:Leave a comment:
-
The word is that Valve float is the big problem beyond about 7400. I will try to spin it as far as it will go and still make power. I know my head will flow to support it its just a matter of if the valves will open and close.Leave a comment:
-
I totally agree and usually I would not have given it a second thought but the balancing shop charges the same to balance as much or as little as I give them so I said "f" it and gave them everything. I figured its a new Stage 3 Grip force flywheel and pressure plate so its probably pointless, but if there is any tiny bit they can do to the pressure plate (which is apparently not uncommon) then it costs me nothing.
The crank had to be spun again and rebalanced because I am pulling 4.2lbs out of my rotating assembly and the counterweights would be very far off as thats a 29% reduction in counter balanced weight. Less weight= faster rev and maybe a few more HP by the time they drill my crank into swiss cheese I will probably have 5 lbs taken out of the rotating mass. :devil:Leave a comment:
-
Sorry I meant to say that I got the clutch flywheel and new pressure plate today. I dropped the flywheel and pressure plate off to have it balances with the rotating assembly. I am figuring having it all spun is smart give the that I am taking a significant amount of weight out of the rotating assembly. My estimate is the new pistons are 297x6=1782 gram and the new rods are 489x6=2934. Factory piston weight empty is apparently 560x6=3360 and rods are 540x6=3240 so factory rotating assembly is 6600gram.
My thought on that is if the crank is balanced and the clutch is balanced then putting them together it should theoretically be balanced.Leave a comment:

Leave a comment: