Turbo time for my S50 on a "budget"

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    Thanks,

    There is no way that stock rods would have held up to more than 5-8psi. I actually went with K1 based off of my engine builders recommendation. Unfortunately, it didn't work out.



    Originally posted by Dgerry
    Hey,

    First sorry to see this happen on a build that was done so thoroughly (very well thought out and executed). I just happened to be reading a blog a few weeks ago written by an engineer comparing H beam rods to I beam rods. Here is a link to that page:



    You will need to scroll down half of the page it is in section 6. It looks like that it isn't just your rod manufacturer, but maybe all H beam rods are inherently weak. Again, sorry that your build went this way, it seems looking back the stock rods might have worked for you (but we all know that hind sight is 20/20). Looking forward to keeping up with your progress on your next build. Keep up the good work!

    Leave a comment:


  • Dgerry
    replied
    Turbo time for my S50 on a "budget"

    Hey,

    First sorry to see this happen on a build that was done so thoroughly (very well thought out and executed). I just happened to be reading a blog a few weeks ago written by an engineer comparing H beam rods to I beam rods. Here is a link to that page:



    You will need to scroll down half of the page it is in section 6. It looks like that it isn't just your rod manufacturer, but maybe all H beam rods are inherently weak. Again, sorry that your build went this way, it seems looking back the stock rods might have worked for you (but we all know that hind sight is 20/20). Looking forward to keeping up with your progress on your next build. Keep up the good work!

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    It is all out material failure. I think JE should stick to making Pistons those looked good on disassembly.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dagamus(NM)
    replied
    So just gross material failure? No evidence of hydrolock...

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    Originally posted by Dagamus(NM)
    Yeah, google did confirm that. I wonder how their failure rate compares to others. Was it predetonation that caused this?

    Megasquirt plug and play is sounding better and better.
    Very unlikely as the timing was concervative and the comp ratio was so low.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dagamus(NM)
    replied
    Yeah, google did confirm that. I wonder how their failure rate compares to others. Was it predetonation that caused this?

    Megasquirt plug and play is sounding better and better.

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    According to a quick google search....yes.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dagamus(NM)
    replied
    Originally posted by BMW_TUNER


    I do not advise anyone purchase K1 Rods. They did this on 12 psi.
    Jeez, that is crazy. I wonder if others have had this experience.

    Leave a comment:


  • Sh3rpak!ng
    replied
    Originally posted by BMW_TUNER

    I do not advise anyone purchase K1 Rods. They did this on 12 psi.
    Jesus wtf

    Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    Originally posted by ian e30 318is
    So are you replacing rods and keeping the turbo setup?

    No moving on to S54 NA

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied


    I do not advise anyone purchase K1 Rods. They did this on 12 psi.

    Leave a comment:


  • ian e30 318is
    replied
    So are you replacing rods and keeping the turbo setup?

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied

    If this is #2 Rod he ain't that straight any more.

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    It reminds me of that college question
    What is the fastest way between any two points on the face of the earth...........
    a curved line, a zig zag or a straight line. Lots of people say a straight line but the earth is curved. HAHA.

    Given that it has dropped I could drag out some old geometry and trig and figure out the arc before I pull the bottom end but at this point its safe to say that its bad.

    Leave a comment:


  • TheTacoMan
    replied
    Ive never seen that, crazy...

    Leave a comment:

Working...