Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The comprehensive DOHC engine swap thread.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
    A nice little tip I just came up with this evening.

If you're removing the wiring harness from an engine you're about to put in, or removing it from your existing swap to do some work (like I am right now), get a container of white or brightly colored zip ties, some good wide ones.

Zip one around the boot of each connector, and write what each connector goes to on the excess strap sticking the buckle, then cut them to length. No more guessing where they go! Do the same for your fuel lines, firewall coolant lines, brake lines, etc.

I had a box of metal tags, it was just a small rectangular piece of very soft metal that you could wrap around stuff, and write on it with a pen. The ink wouldn't stay, but it embossed the metal, so it wouldn't wear off or anything during handling.

I can't find them anywhere, but if I do I'm buying at least 1000.

EDIT:

85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Need a quick part number, and searching for it isn't getting me anywhere.

I need the part number for the M20 coolant hose that you use for running from the back of the 24V head to the heater core inlet on the firewall.

Comment

What setup for shift linkage do I need with a early E model trans? I have a early model D/S but it wasnt marked when seperated..How much does rebalancing cost? or can I just eye ball where the balance tac welds are and put it together?
        sigpic

Comment

Probably not, you're going to want to have it rebalanced. Don't try guessing where it goes back together, because you're probably not going to get it right the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by kylebes1 View Post
            i have heard with a freer flowing exhaust, and filter cams alone will produce 240 hp for a m50, 2.5 bottom
            can anyone else verify this information is correct?

Comment

It definitely will not produce 240whp. Maybe crank.

1988 Bronzitbeige Metallic 325e 2-door S50 turbo (OO=( )=OO)
              2008 VW Rabbit
              1991 Audi 200 20vtq Wagon

Comment

That setup is known to make 190-200whp with a proper tune. Mine made 188whp.
                85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                e30 restoration and V8 swap
                24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Questions about where the charcoal canister hoses from the fuel tank go?

There's one hole on the top of the E30 canister and one hose that come up from the E30 fuel tank...just run that and block off the M50 throttle body one?

Or should I use my M50 canister and run the hose from the fuel tank AND the throttle body.

ALSO: I have no purge valve that I can see. Where would this be located usually? Does anyone have a photo of it that I can see?

Obviously for the other 2 fuel lines, supply goes to the front, return is at the rear?
                  REMEMBER: Be safe and have fun is Rule Number 1.

The Epic Unbuild of Clint Eastwood

Comment

i just put the M20 single pin coolan temp sensor in my M50 head, is there a kit to wire it to the harness???? or do you have to Hard wire it into the connector on the firewall? i have been searching for this allday and no response
                    Because V8
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=282219

Doing it wrong since 91:wgaf:

Comment

When I put the M20 temp sensor into my M50 head, I just plugged in the same connector into it. Then at the chassis to engine harness you just need to make sure the correct wires are connected. For me it was pin 4 on the E30 side and pin 12 on the E36 side, but check your sources on that to be sure.

Comment

Even if it the single pin? It will still work with the e36connector?
                        Because V8
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=282219

Doing it wrong since 91:wgaf:

Comment

I believe so. If I remember correctly the second wire on the E36 temp sensor is a dedicated ground. The E30 didn't have that. It grounded at the head. Keep in mind all you're doing is providing your E30 temp gauge a signal (in this case it's a resistance value). If the E30 sensor had only one wire, that's all you have to worry about.

Comment

Yep, the 1 pin E30 (brown top) temp sensor uses the same E36 plug.

QUESTION: I read that there is a wire (Pin 2) that has to be hooked up from the C103 plug in the glovebox to prevent a 3500 rpm cut out.

Where do I wire this to? I have a 3500 rpm cut out.
                            REMEMBER: Be safe and have fun is Rule Number 1.

The Epic Unbuild of Clint Eastwood

Comment

Originally posted by Wes325 View Post
                              This thread is a great idea Ryan. It seems more and more people are becoming serious with the DOHC(M50/S50) engine swaps rather than just throwing a whim of a dream they had onto the forums. This is some very helpfull info that I saved a few months ago from Chuck Waits. Hope this can help.

E30 M50 ENGINE CONV PARTS LIST

"1. E30 88' radiator, I used the e36 unit with the lower mounts raised
                              2. E30 88' radiator over flow tank
                              3. E30 M20 fan, poss. w/clutch
                              4. E28 533i motor mounts w/ 5mm spacers or e28 m5 mounts with out spacers
                              5. E34 throttle cable
                              6. E21 brake booster w/ modified shaft, to 15mm or 325IX/e32 735 without mod to the shaft
                              7. E34 M5 or 25mm brake master cylinder w/ additional brake line used for the 325ix booster
                              or a e32 735i with the modified 320i booster
                              8. E30 325 trans X-member
                              9. E28 m5 or two 320i trans mounts/ which are cheaper
                              10. E30 M3 driveshaft or i used the front of the e36 mated to the rear of my e30 M3 have it rebalanced
                              11. E30 diff. w/ 3:25 ratio or E28 533i w/ 3:25 LSD
                              12. E30 318 ECU mount
                              13. E34 oil pan
                              14. E34 oil pickup
                              ect. ect.
                              15. E36 m3 exhaust manifold
                              16. M50 radiator hoses
                              17. E36 M3 Motronic
                              18. OBDI intake manifold
                              19. OBDI throttle body boot
                              20. E36 alloy mounting arms
                              21. OBDI wiring harness DO NOT BUY silver label ?413? motronic, it has EWS (security),
                              it can only put into original chassis
                              22. the engine harness and the ECU are all E36 M3.
                              On the standard E30 with M20 engine fitted, you have the large round plug (C101) up on the firewall next to the brake booster.
                              This plug has 2 parts. One half is connected to the car wiring, and the other is connected to the engine harness.
                              When the M20 was removed, the engine side of the plug was removed with the engine. Now I have the S50 half of the plug in its place. Although similar in appearance, it will not plug directly into the E30 half of the plug.
                              I removed the E36 engine half of the plug, and replaced it with an E30 one. This then allows the 2 parts to screw back together. All you need to make sure is that you have the correct wires connected to each other. Its not just pin 1 to pin 1 and pin 2 to pin 2 etc (although some of the wires do actually connect this way).
                              This plug connection is the only point where the E30 & E36 wiring interface with each other. The rest of the E36 M3 engine harness is totally self contained.

23. the exhaust from the downpipe to the muffler is all custom made

This is not a complete list but damn close if you need any additional info feel free to email or call me at
                              INTERNATIONAL AUTO
                              770-745-0501
                              my name is Chuck Waits, and we are open from 8 to 5pm EST"
                              ________
                              Yamaha XV750
                              Is this list up to date? Since I just got a 1993 M50 (do not know it is a tu or nv) that will go into a 1985 and I want to gather the rest of the items.
                              Please, let me know

Comment

M42 318is radiator
                                + 14" pusher fan
                                + Dayco 71901 (This hose can be cut in the center and trimmed to provide both upper and lower radiator hoses)
                                + 80deg tstat (I drilled a 1/8 inch hole at 12' o'clock)
                                M52B28 block + M50B25 Head + M50B25 413 Red label ECU
                                eBay knock off supersprint longtube headers
                                M52B28 Dual Mass Flywheel (the suck.)
                                M42 G240, stock Throw Out Bearing, stock slave cylinder
                                E36 M50 manual drive shaft + E30 CSB mounted backwards
                                E36 M50 manual shift linkage and bracket
                                Small Case S4.10
                                Slotted factory E30 brake booster 1/2" + modified brake pedal
                                One stupid grin.

M52B28 OBD1 - G240 - S4.10
                                Stuff for Sale: 24v swap parts

Comment

Working...
                                X