Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The comprehensive DOHC engine swap thread.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great resource I just found this week: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/E30twincam/
    '91 318is
    sigpic

Comment

S52 manifolds. I asked on the E35 forum but Ill ask here too. How is the best way to seal up the air injector ports? I was thinking of just welding on a nickel size peice of steel.
      Im now E30less.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Stewart
        S52 manifolds. I asked on the E35 forum but Ill ask here too. How is the best way to seal up the air injector ports? I was thinking of just welding on a nickel size peice of steel.
        Well, I honestly would keep the tubing that bolts to both the manifolds. Why? I would fabricate one block off plate for street use, and also make a plate that has a bung, so when you get to a dyno you can get a reading right off the manifolds. Perfect for tuning.

Comment

That is an interestin idea but how realistic would the reading be? You have to have a good seal because I doubt much exhaust gas is going ot flow up through those very small slits. Just on the other side of the valve they use vaccumm hose to pipe the air in from the injector.

I was more thinking of not using the tubing because it makes the headers that much easier to install/uninstall. Although maybe just making a blocking plate the same shape as the gasket and then clamping it down with the bolts would leave me the option of going back in the future.
          Im now E30less.
          sigpic

Comment

Here is how one guy welded the OBDII manifolds...

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.
            2008 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

Yeah but look at how poorly they turned out. He has to go back and pile on a lot more and then grind it down. That seems like it would be a bitch to get just right.
              Im now E30less.
              sigpic

Comment

Can you just weld a plate of steel over the exterior of the manifolds (where the recessed area is)?

Aaron

Comment

Dunno. That IS what I was thinking of doing though. Just a coin sized peice to seal the back off. I cant imagine the groove allowing a slight connection between the two ports causing any troubles.
                  Im now E30less.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
                    Can you just weld a plate of steel over the exterior of the manifolds (where the recessed area is)?

Aaron
                    yeah, that's what Bill did with his, and I'm planning on doing the same.. I've got my manifolds sitting at the shop

Comment

Anyone kept their HVAC system after the swap? I did not touch mine but now it the fan along with the "inside-air" button do nothing, and my mirrors quit as well. I checked all the fuses and relays, what is up?

Comment

When using the Getrag 260, do you have to use the starter from an M20 or can you use the starter gear, and install it into the M50 starter?

Does the M20 starter bolt up to the M50 block?

Thank you.

Aaron
                        2008 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by aaron_silva
                          When using the Getrag 260, do you have to use the starter from an M20 or can you use the starter gear, and install it into the M50 starter?

Thank you.

Aaron
                          For my swap I used a e30 gearbox and a e21 323i flywheel.
                          I had to take the gear from a m20 starter and move it to the m50 starter
                          because the m20 starter is bigger and it hit my block

the m50 starter does not work on e21 and e30 m20 flywheels.. well at
                          least not in my case.

Comment

Thank you.

Aaron
                            I bolted the m20 starter up to the m50 w/ getrag 260. It seemed to line up right, but I'll let you know when I run the engine.
                            '91 318is
                            sigpic

Comment

I used the e36 five speed, and the m20 starter as supplied form Zionsville with their flywheel/ clutch kit. They would not twll me what the flywheel actually is but it is a BMW part, it has BMW stamped on the rim.

Comment

Originally posted by Brew

Thank you.

Aaron
                                I bolted the m20 starter up to the m50 w/ getrag 260. It seemed to line up right, but I'll let you know when I run the engine.
                                yeah that works

Comment

Working...
                                X