Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The comprehensive DOHC engine swap thread.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early E34 M50 tranny's are ZF310's. You can use it.
    My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
    There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Originally posted by PiercedE30 View Post
      Early E34 M50 tranny's are ZF310's. You can use it.
      IF its a manual. :p
      sigpic

Comment

e34 trans

what is considered early? car built early 93 I think 2/93

Comment

question, did you obd1 s52 guys use the original dipstick with the second oil return line? thats what it states on zionsville obd1 cd. also can i use the s52 idle control valve?

Comment

Originally posted by windsor318is View Post
            question, did you obd1 s52 guys use the original dipstick with the second oil return line? thats what it states on zionsville obd1 cd. also can i use the s52 idle control valve?
            You can use the s52 Idle control valve, yes.

I used the e34 m50 dip stick, and tube, I am not routing any oil return lines. My s52 dip stick for some reason did not fit the e34 m50 oil pan.

-Abe.

s52 0-150mph & more http://www.youtube.com/loonibab325i

Comment

Originally posted by loonibab325i View Post
              You can use the s52 Idle control valve, yes.

I used the e34 m50 dip stick, and tube, I am not routing any oil return lines. My s52 dip stick for some reason did not fit the e34 m50 oil pan.

-Abe.
              s52 dip stick is much wider in diameter you have to use the e34 one and also use the e34 measuring dip stick and make sure you put a little bit more oil in there, i think i was doing 6-6.5, (maybe 7quarts) at track events. no oil cooler here.
              No more e30s for me.
              88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
              88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
              91 BMW 325i [sold]
              86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
              http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

next question. did you guys remove the metal coolant tube and replace it with the rubber obd1 pipe. if so did you just cut the metal one short, and put the rubber over top?

Comment

can i lift an s52 engine&trans solely by the metal tab lift point in the front by the VANOS?
                  No more e30s for me.
                  91 BMW 325i [sold]

Comment

thats a ton of wieght just on the front i would go with two lifting points to be safe.

www.gutenparts.com
                    One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

yeah guess i'm going to use a tow strap to the back since the hoist i borrowed sucks balls. ty
                      No more e30s for me.
                      91 BMW 325i [sold]

Comment

I have read through the entire post and didn't find an answer, so my question is:

What do I do for shifter linkage? I have an 84 e30 which had the sheet metal shifter console without the post that slides into the back of the tranny tunnel. Do I modify the tunnel to accept the e36 linkage?

Comment

Originally posted by justin_l_ View Post
                          I have read through the entire post and didn't find an answer, so my question is:

What do I do for shifter linkage? I have an 84 e30 which had the sheet metal shifter console without the post that slides into the back of the tranny tunnel. Do I modify the tunnel to accept the e36 linkage?
                          I am not positive but I believe the body has a provision to bolt up the later shifter style carrier. Go to a sally and pick up a late style rear shift mount. worst case weld it in and slide your shifter to that.
                          Originally posted by 325Projectz
                          don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
                          :nice:

Comment

Originally posted by justin_l_ View Post

It doesn't matter that your current tranny has a sheetmetal console. The new tranny you go with, will have provisions to bolt up the late model shifter stuff.

-Erik

Comment

has anyone let the ECU stock in there s52 swap, i have and im running super lean, could this be my problem? runs idle just fine, driving it, it had no balls

Comment

Stuck open ICV?
                                '91 318is
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X