Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The comprehensive DOHC engine swap thread.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes. 50-80lbs over the iron block m50.

Aaron
    2008 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

Thanks, I found one section on Bimmerforums
      m20 258lbs, z3 aluminium 260lbs

What year z3 cars had these and what are they selling for.

Comment

I think all the 2,8 liter z3 cars had them.

Call TheEuroDepot.com the can get tehm, but they cost as much as a s52 :(

all in all if you have the money go for it, but you can make up for the exra 50 lbs with the power of the s52, adn you will have to do the OBD1 stuff to either one.

Comment

All 2.8 Z3s has All. blocks. Pretty cool but not worth the extra money if you know what i mean.

Originally posted by DaveCN
          Welcome.

Your car is a piece of shit.

Most of them here are, too.

Comment

60 lbs on the nose of the car is alot of weight. True an s52 or 50 is cheaper and power ganes would be the same. Its only if I come across an All block for a good price.

My idea is a 3.0 all block twin cam, with mods and ITB injection along with a Tec3 fuel mang. system. Not cheap but different.

Its only money right :D

Comment

I don't think you can run 3.0 safely on an Al block. Stu Mc would know, his dad has one in his M3.

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

Originally posted by e30Matt
                I don't think you can run 3.0 safely on an Al block. Stu Mc would know, his dad has one in his M3.
                Why would you want to pay more money for an aluminum block then stroke it out to 3.0L. There is a waste of money.

Lets buy a expensive motor, throw more money at it and still only get as much power as a regular "S" engine. Or you could save that two or so thousand dollars and get more power from an "S" engine to make up for that 60lbs. :roll:

Don't get me wrong i would love to have an aluminum block but it is pointless to have in most everyones situation.

Welcome.

Comment

I think you should be careful with ebay, there is a guy on here that will tell you the same thing. He bought a complete alloy black with head, the guy told him it was a m52. it was but it was a m52tu, Double VANOS, not and easy way to go, considring you have to have a bunch of crap from the original car and the OBD2 shit.

If you come upon a deal i would go with it, my m50tu has plenty of power the alloy 2.8 would have a little more and be lighter.

Also as far as i know you cannot bore a alloy block, but i think it can be stroked with an s52 crank and rods, there are a few people that will tell you differently, and I am not a pro so you could always check with Pete Mc

I would say go with the alloy m52 with a s/c and you will have more power than any NA s52 and probably still wiegh less. Just do like I did and start with a base 318i, it has no power options and weighs only 2500 with the m50 and e36 five speed!

Comment

I think he ment for the driver could cut back on the big macs and loss some lbs. I used to weigh 180, now I am a puny 145 so there is not much to loss here, if anyhting i should gain weight

Comment

a. its where the weight is. The driver is near the center while the engine is out in front. The closest to 50/50 50/50 is the best so that could can maximze the load on each axle instead of a certain hotspot. Also weight is weight. Any place you can shave it is great.

b. to increase the bore on an alum block you need new sleeves made up and somehow held in. My understand was they cast the alloy blocks around iron sleeves.
                      Im now E30less.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Stewart
                        a. its where the weight is. The driver is near the center while the engine is out in front. The closest to 50/50 50/50 is the best so that could can maximze the load on each axle instead of a certain hotspot. Also weight is weight. Any place you can shave it is great.
                        Good point. You loose that 60lbs on the engine, then count for all of the CF body work up front and then you loose your 50/50. :?

Hehe its fun playing the devil. :twisted:

I think they are cool motors but it just doesn't make sence to me. Spending that much more and in my mind it is not that big of a gain. Better money spent elswhere on the car in my oppinion. :roll:

Welcome.

Comment

Its been said before: with enough money, you can do anything...

If you want to spend the money on an aluminum block and build it up, awesome. Keep us posted, otherwise, lets stop arguing about whether it's worth it or not, and get back on topic eh?

This thread is already probably 5/16 pages of bickering

Doing something M50 related? -> http://www.addissimo.com
                          On Myspace? ->http://groups.myspace.com/r3vlimited
                          BF2142 SN = BillyGoose

Comment

Bryson,

Thank you that is my point, less weight, especially on the nose of the car.
                            Yes a 3.0 can be done on a All block, Stu's Dad has one, he built current engine 2.7

Yes it cost more money, but thats the fun of building hot rods or any car, they all cost to darn much.

50 50 weight can be achieved by corner weighting the car with a coilover set up, thats the purpose of the darn things anyway, not just to lower the car.

As Jay Leno said, " weight is the enemy of acceleration"

Comment

Originally posted by Tony S
                              50 50 weight can be achieved by corner weighting the car with a coilover set up, thats the purpose of the darn things anyway, not just to lower the car.
                              Only if the car is setup correctly from the get go will you be able to get 50/50. Sure, you could make the front 3 inches higher than the rear, but that wouldn't look right or be aerodynamic.

Comment

Originally posted by Addissimo
                                I once saw an aluminum 2.8 go for $500 on ebay. It was completely disassembled and included all the parts. If you were to take that engine, bore it out, get a 3.2 crankshaft, have it balanced, take a head from a 3.0 port it and add some schrick cams along with a stand alone engine management system... You'd be putting down some serious power, be 60lbs lighter, and about $4k into the engine.
                                LOL That's the one I bought!
                                Not all 2.8 Aluminum Z3 blocks are the same though. I got the rare exception M52TU, which is a dual vanos motor with different oil and coolant passages. I need the M52 to get it to fit my S50 head.
                                -Brandon
                                '86 325es S50
                                '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                                '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                                '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
                                S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

Working...
                                X