Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The comprehensive DOHC engine swap thread.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trent are we talking to use the Getrag tranny? Because with the S50 I think it was just two reinforced E30 mounts.
    Im now E30less.
    sigpic

Comment

What kind of diffs are you guys putting in? "the manual" says to use a 3.25 for this swap. This sounds nice, but it only takes you to 60 in 2nd. I'd like to go a bit through 60 in 2nd, which would mean a 3.15, unfortunately thats kindof an expensive diff, which takes me to a 2.93... Its cheap, takes me to 66 in 2nd. I'm worried about 3rd & 4th acceleration with that diff though... Any thoughts?

Addis

Doing something M50 related? -> http://www.addissimo.com
      On Myspace? ->http://groups.myspace.com/r3vlimited
      BF2142 SN = BillyGoose

Comment

I am going to the hardware store today for some pipe for a CAI, if I find one that works I will grab a few and you guys can have tehm for the same price.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Stewart
          noice!

grapedrink. Why are you installing the S52 tranny? Its heavier and requires the use of the M3 driveshaft.

If possible either use an M20 setup or the M50 driveshaft to save a good deal of weight on those peices and you could use your old shaft and sell the M3 one.

Unless you are planning on going farther. I stuck with the S50 tranny for my S50 because I intend on doing a camswap NEXT summer.
          I am useing the S52 trans because it is the one i had swaped into my E36 when i did the auto/manual conversion in it. I had to install a manual e36 driveshaft ( :roll: ) but as i know it all of the transmission outputs for the E36 transmissions are the same. It is the diff side that changes on some models. Are the lengths of the transmissions the same? I would think so because you can use the same driveshaft on different models. Clue me in if i am wrong. :!:

Right now i have a 92 325i that used to be my daily until things got to where i didn't want to fix them anymore. It has the M2 non vanos, 8.5lb flywheel, M5 clutch, 99 MZ3 trans, Some E36 driveshaft (forget), 3.91 diff.

The car this setup is going to be installed in is an 86 es that used to be an auto. I will find out more info in the next cupple of days about what diff it actually has but it eather has the stock auto es diff or a manual 85 318 diff. I would also like some info on what diff would be the best setup since my E36 maxed out at 128mph ( at 7k rpms). First gear was almost useless unless i felt like going rock climbing. It seems like the S52 trans 1st and 2nd gears are pretty short where the Get. 260 has some taller low gears!!. Just thought i would point that out.

I will chime back in in a cupple of days. Got to get some sleep and then pick up my new car.

Lucas

Originally posted by DaveCN
          Welcome.

Your car is a piece of shit.

Most of them here are, too.

Comment

Wish mine would go over 110!!! I was able to pull 110 ish with the wornout m10, now with over 100 extra ponies I can still only do 110mph, that damn 3.73 is just to low, but 2nd, 3rd and 5th kick ass, on acceleration anyway.

BTW I let my dad drive it yesterday, and now I feel so sorry for any apssenger on board, I was so freaken nervous, could have been fear he was gonna break something though.

Comment

grapedrink I was under the understanding that the receiver on the tranny is larger for the beefier guibo on the S52 tranny.

Shit kyle, you cant go over 110? My eta could do better than that. :P
              Im now E30less.
              sigpic

Comment

grapedrink I was under the understanding that the receiver on the tranny is larger for the beefier guibo on the S52 tranny.

The Euro´s have diffrent flanges at least
                I had a spacer made up and used a E36 drifeshaft
                Gunni
                @ Prodrive / Aston Martin Racing

Comment

Like I said it is that damn 3.73, I could have the rev limiter removed and try for about 11k rpms, that should be right at 150 i guess ;)

Comment

I believe it is the same part number for all of the late model guibos??? So at worst case i would need to get a small guibo eh? I am going to use the transmission because i don't want to buy another one but tell me what i am going to run into? Rubbing on the selector rod?

Welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by grapedrink
                      I believe it is the same part number for all of the late model guibos??? So at worst case i would need to get a small guibo eh? I am going to use the transmission because i don't want to buy another one but tell me what i am going to run into? Rubbing on the selector rod?
                      i used the e36 318i shifter setup, had to go to 14mm nut/bolt for three of the six to keep it from hitting, but there is a bushing that you can use to keep this form happening, I will be doing that soon.

make sure the selector rod arches upward, i had mine upside down and it rubbed the guiibo in first, fourth and fifth.

I have a picture from Zionsville's ORCA I could send you that has all the parts they recommend, or youcould just call them and buy a "kit", be sure to tell them what all you are using of course.

Comment

If you could send me that pic it would be great.

behmerm3@yahoo.com

Originally posted by kylebes1
                        Originally posted by grapedrink
                        i used the e36 318i shifter setup, had to go to 14mm nut/bolt for three of the six to keep it from hitting, but there is a bushing that you can use to keep this form happening, I will be doing that soon.

make sure the selector rod arches upward, i had mine upside down and it rubbed the guiibo in first, fourth and fifth.

I have a picture from Zionsville's ORCA I could send you that has all the parts they recommend, or youcould just call them and buy a "kit", be sure to tell them what all you are using of course.

Welcome.

Comment

Is this the part number for the water pump "cover?

Off of a Euro Spec e30 M3.

Aaron

BTW- Pelican Parts has it listed for $5.
                          2008 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

Hey everyone, back to the Thread subject.

I replaced my battery about 7 months ago, never had any trouble since then. That is up to yesterday, it went dead on its own. MY concern is the ground from the engine to the car body, at first i only had one, the only one my m10 had as well. Now I added a 8 gauge wire from the negative post to the passengerside mount bracket.

Would it be ok to put a 10 guage from the ground point for the coils straight to the megative post? I think I am gonna come up witha good ground block to clean it all up.

Need input though.

Comment

I used a foot long piece of 4 gauge that goes from the drivers side engine mount to the grounding point on the frame/unibody rail.

I doubt this has anything to do with your battery going dead. If the ground between the motor and the chassis isnt good enough, you will have issues with the starter.
                              Originally posted by Simon S
                              When a dream is a dream for too long - it becomes a fantasy..

Comment

Projected costs...

I'm very interested in doing an m50 swap. I think I want to stick to an m50 for cost reasons. That's the only thing holding me back right now, I have no idea what this will cost. I know basically what it involves, as far as work, and so far I'm not to intimidated. I jsut got done doing a five speed swap, with $1000 worth of new parts, so I want to keep my m20 transmission.

With just a basic m50 swap, going as cheap as possible, what is the typical cost?

And what do I need?

Engine, wiring harness, ecu, the brake booster/master cylinder that works, custom exhaust, what else?

I am on a budget and am wondering if it's possible to do this for under $1000 + stuff listed above. I have an extremely cheap, but good, exhaust shop nearby that would probably do the exhaust for under $200 as well.

Later I will get into m3 cams, chip, etc... If I feel the need

What engine should I look for? Should I go with a vanos engine, is it worth the extra $$$?

Anything else I should know? I just read all 11 of these pages, I'm pretty informed now!

Justin
                                85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                                e30 restoration and V8 swap
                                24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Working...
                                X