94 e34 m50 in 85 325e... no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

94 e34 m50 in 85 325e... no spark

OK, I've triple checked everything, still no luck.

Engine cranks, I get fuel pressure, no spark. 12v at coil harness pin 15 in run. .8 ohms on the coil packs. 537 ohms on CPS. Main relay pin 87 has 12v in run.

c101 and c104 are wired (correctly... see my pin-outs in my other thread here.)

Any ideas?

Engine is 94 m50 from a 525i, car is an auto 85 325e that was five speed swapped a few years ago. Both were unmolested electrical-wise.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Coil grounds?
    84 318I Delphin RIP
    87 325IS delphin 24v Sold
    89 325 Alpineweiss

Comment

Ground to body from the motor mount.

Comment

are the cam and crank sensor reversed and do you have the right front crank pick up wheel
        looking for a e30m50 swap harness adapter pm me $150 shipped
        email nitroman12@gmail.com

Comment

All ground wires are in place, and I ran extra grounds just as a precaution.

It's a vanos motor, no cam sensor (AKAIK).

Yes it's the right pickup wheel, I pulled the engine from the car myself and haven't removed a single part. It ran great before I pulled it.

Comment

ECU........i had the same problem with my M50(94 525) I just knew the ECU was good because it ran in the other car!!! nope.... changed it and it started right up.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
              All ground wires are in place, and I ran extra grounds just as a precaution.

It's a vanos motor, no cam sensor (AKAIK).

Yes it's the right pickup wheel, I pulled the engine from the car myself and haven't removed a single part. It ran great before I pulled it.
              I've been playing with Non-vanos M50s, so I may not know diddly squat about the vano engines, but I thought the vanos engines had a cam sensor. RealOEM lists a cam sensor for a vanos engine on this diagram: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD53&mospid=47404&btnr=11_1282& hg=11&fg=15
              Tim
              Indianapolis, IN, USA
              88 325is (M50)
              92 525iT (5 speed)
              98 328is
              2011 535is
              69 Fiat Spider
              68 Fiat Spider (122nd chassis built for the US)

Comment

Yes, the Vanos engines do have a camshaft position sensor. However, if it wasn't touched, I'd leave that end of things alone. Sadly, I tried to troubleshoot a similar setup (1990 325is / E34 M50) for a local guy but I ran out of time. I never did find out how he got it started!

Originally posted by whysimon
                WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

+1 , there is a sensor on the front of the engine.
                  Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Do you have the ECU bolted in the stock location??
                    Or do you have it just sitting there?

Comment

Yeah, nothing was ever unplugged or touched on the engine. It sat in one spot in the garage until I put it in the car. I don't think a sensor went bad.

I ran a 10g wire from a strut tower bolt and pinched it in the ecu case tab, and then set the whole thing on the strut tower bolts.

What ECU's can I try for my engine? I did seperate the case to see what chip was in it (turns out it has a Dinan chip), so who knows. I think it's a 402 or 403, definitly red label. What years/numbers can I try?

Comment

I am pretty sure you need a 413 for a vanos engine.
                        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

I did the same thing you did with the ecu and it still wasnt enough to make it run.
                          It either has to be bolted in the stock location or run sheet metal screws through the outer lip of the ECU and screw it into the battery tray.
                          If it ran fine before then the ECU isnt the problem. You have ground issues.
                          The ecu you need is a red lable 413. Also means no EWS...

Comment

Alright, I'll bolt her down tonight and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Comment

That definitely wasn't the problem. First off, a ground strap attached to the casing, and setting the casing on the three strut studs and putting weight on it should be more then enough. But with just the strap, and a multimeter hooked to power on one lead and just brushing the other lead against the DME, I got 12v. So the DME is grounded fine.

I re-traced everything, again, and it all looks good. At this point I'm hoping for a bad DME/chip. Who's got a 413 laying around?

I have 5v at the coolant sensor, and ~2.4 ohms ~70 degrees.

Is there anything I'm missing that's specific to early model cars? I got the two c104 wires... is there anything else? There was two other plugs I disconnected from the engine harness right near there. I think one was purple.

Comment

Working...
                              X