No announcement yet.

Aftermarket Headers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey anyone with the Ebay Super sprint replica headers in their e30 having issues with one of the headers making contact with the engine crossmember?

Comment

I did. I had to heat the crossmember up and beat it with the ford tool till it cleared.

www.gutenparts.com
      One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by e30s52 View Post
        I did. I had to heat the crossmember up and beat it with the ford tool till it cleared.
        WTF??? Are you guys spacing the passenger side of the motor? I put 3/16ths worth of washers on the passenger side and have no clearance issues. It's close, but no rubbing or hitting on anything.
        Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by e30polak View Post
          WTF??? Are you guys spacing the passenger side of the motor? I put 3/16ths worth of washers on the passenger side and have no clearance issues. It's close, but no rubbing or hitting on anything.

You're talking millimeters on 20 year old cars. I can fit a sheet of paper both between the suframe/header and between the body/header. Probably couldn't fit 2 sheets. It probably hits under load.
          85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
          e30 restoration and V8 swap
          24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

It was spaced but when going into a turn they would hit and cause vibration.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

It was spaced but when going into a turn they would hit and cause vibration.

I seriously have 3/16ths clearance from the sub-frame. Since I flattened the firewall heat shield i have no contact there as well. It is tight, but the headers have show no indication of rubbing or hitting the sub-frame, and I drive th hell out of my car on a daily basis! :-D

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

I seriously have 3/16ths clearance from the sub-frame. Since I flattened the firewall heat shield i have no contact there as well. It is tight, but the headers have show no indication of rubbing or hitting the sub-frame, and I drive th hell out of my car on a daily basis! :-D
                And you think I dont :p but mine has no clearence for some reason. I have no clue why. None of my friends who have swap cars had to space them so I dont know. O well its done now. If you come to the picnic I can show you. You wont believe it.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

And you think I dont :p but mine has no clearence for some reason. I have no clue why. None of my friends who have swap cars had to space them so I dont know. O well its done now. If you come to the picnic I can show you. You wont believe it.
                  I believe you, it's just weird why it's happening to some of us and not others. I probably wont make it to the picnic, I'm too broke. :(

Comment

I believe you, it's just weird why it's happening to some of us and not others. I probably wont make it to the picnic, I'm too broke. :(
                    Aw that sucks. I dont know why this is.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

For something as important as that crossmember, which supports the engine and the lower control arms, is that not sacrificing some structural rigidity there?

And this is not to be offensive by any way I am genuinely wondering.:)

Also, Polak...I am trying to understand. So you put 3/16 worth of washers bewtween the passenger side motor mount and the engine arm?

Thanks!

Wade
                      Last edited by WADE30; 05-14-2009, 12:10 AM.

Comment

I was wondering that at first but one of the guys I used to work with said it would be fine. He has been doing welding for over 30 years so I trust his judgment. It really isn't alot ether but just enough to clear them. The problem with shimming mine was each time I would add one to that side it would raise it and then instead of rubbing on the cross member if would kit the bottom of the cabin.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by jgood View Post
                          he may have a point. Stress one end, and the other end could still crack, it all depends where it puts load. Headers are not meant to flex at all. Maybe you could take a few pics of your setup?

I didn't get my exhaust done yet, i still have open ebay headers, and they look dangerously low. I'm not sure how it's going to turn out...
                          +1
                          Live Fast. Drive Faster.

"Nitrous is like a hot girl with an STD... :)
                          You wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences :(

Comment

Originally posted by WADE30 View Post

Also, Polak...I am trying to understand. So you put 3/16 worth of washers bewtween the passenger side motor mount and the engine arm?
                            Yup. Make sure to either flatten, or remove the body side heat shield on the passenger side firewall.

Comment

Working...
                            X