Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another S52 swap... but this time with a newb!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another S52 swap... but this time with a newb!

Day 1: 10/24/08

So after owning several vehicles with the intentions of a motor swap that never happened... I actually took a big step to initiate this e30 swap. Never did a swap but I doubt its any harder than anything I've done before. Since a fair amount of people have done this swap, I'm sure anyone could chime in for the tricks of the trade. I originally bought a s50b30 us spec with the intentions of throwing that in with my current 260 getrag transmission but it seems that motor was of no use. So I bought a practically complete s52b32...

On to the pictures...

After 3 and a half hour drive back from picking it up its sitting waiting to be taken out...

Here am I removing it from the van (Yes I know I should be using chains instead of straps but I had these already and they are rated at 600 lb load strength for each strap and I'm using four in the picture to be sure. LOL)

On to my pallet my e30s heart goes for dismantling... Transmission comes off first for inspection...

Oops, its off. Damn comparing the ZF transmission to a getrag 260... the ZF is so much more lighter...

Did I mention that I'm converting the s52b32 obd2 to full obd1 ? Heres pictures of what I was removing; the shitty cracked intake manifold/valve cover.

m/s52 valve cover off and I put on my s50 valve cover on for now so it wouldn't catch any dust/water/degreaser when I clean the motor up.

Here's a picture of how dirty this thing is...

That's all I got done for that night which is the same date as the purchase date 10/24/08.

SINdelle:E36 M3 5-Lug | 17x8 & 17x9 BBS RS | S52/ZF | 2.93LSD/3.5HFM/24lb Injectors/C&S Chip[B]SOLD[B]

Day 2: 10/25/08

After 2 bottles of gunk and a pressure washer...

Before

After

Still looks like shit. LOL. But its better than what it was... lol

SINdelle:E36 M3 5-Lug | 17x8 & 17x9 BBS RS | S52/ZF | 2.93LSD/3.5HFM/24lb Injectors/C&S Chip[B]SOLD[B]

Comment

Well didn't slap the e34 oil pan yet, but did get to paint the block. I just did a quick job as I spent so much time just getting the rust out.

10/30/08:

Painted block and picked up e34 pan at the junkyard. Still gotta slap it on. When I get a new rear main crank seal I'll slap it on.

11/01/08: Today - Removing my m20b25

Well here's pictures of my whole 5 - 6 hour single man job of me removing my running m20b25 because I sold it and the guy is going to pick it up tomorrow.

Yes, I'm in pajamas lol. Only till I had to get to the greasy tranny stuff I changed to my mechanic clothes.

Finally changed getting to the nitty gritty.

Comment

More pictures....

Slowly but surely...

Hot damn summer in the city....

Sad to see my good running motor go....

Bunch of emptiness...

Heartless... ready to be picked up.

That's it for today.

Comment

11/03/08:

So I got some work done today. Here's what I was able to get done before studying for another god damn test.

Didn't really bother removing the the oil pick up bracket because I didn't feel like unbolting the main bearing cap bolts.

Finally got that clean better looking s50 oil filter housing on.

Here's a shot of most of the accessories on. Still gotta buy the belts which is no biggy. I think I should remove the oil pan again though and drill a hole in the oil pump nut that everyone says falls off and put a wiring to keep it in place.

Thats it for now. More tomorrow I hope. lol. Wish me luck on my test.

Still looking for a cheap m52 valve cover. If anyone has one let me know. If its going to cost me too much, I'll just paint my s50 valve cover. Thanks for watching.

Comment

Update: 11/09/08

Got my ZF tranny cleaned up and ready to slap on. Also painted my s50 valve cover for my s52. Looks 100 times better now. Going to pressure wash my engine bay tomorrow morning.

Waiting on Pelicanparts to get me my damn motor mounts/tranny mounts/belts and stuff. Should be in by tuesday, and motor hopefully by this coming up weekend. I also made my wiring harness. Just haven't closed it up yet just incase I need to rewire some things.

Note: the open wires are for the oil level static & dynamic

Comment

Haven't updated anything but here's what I did:

11/10/08: Pressure washing time! My car looks like its on hydraulics!

Comment

Recent Update:

11/23/08:

I got most of the obd1 stuff on. Still looking for obd1 knock sensors. Is there any way to incorporate the obd2 knock sensors to work with the obd1 harness? Like splice them in? Or the ohmic reading on them is different?

Things I have already:

2 sets of motor mounts (535/m5 mounts)
                2 sets of e21 motor mounts (I like to have spares)
                New t-stat/gaskets
                Eta drive shaft with new CSB/Guibo
                Spark plugs/misc gaskets
                24lb 4 pintle bosch injectors
                3.5" euro / 540i hfm
                BimmerWorld Silicone Throttle Body Boot
                CSS chipped 413 silver label from 95 m3 (ews delete, 24lb injectors, 3.5" hfm, intake, exhaust)

Things I need so I could throw this stupid motor in:

95 m3 steering rack or any 3.2 e36 rack in Socal for dirt cheap with no leaky!
                e34 m50 throttle cable
                obd1 knock sensors

That's it! Goddamnit! So close... yet so far... Could anyone help me with labeling the connectors on the harness?
                Last edited by jahnaboi; 11-28-2008, 09:36 PM.

Comment

bravo! This is coming along nicely. I wish I had money to get an S52 :(

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
                  i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
                  Originally posted by slammin.e28
                  Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

you posted more on yoru own thread than anyone else has, awesome, good luck man. I did a nvm50 and i regret it

Comment

Oh man, it's almost time to drop it in! Just a day's worth of work or so and it could be time to drive it to the muffler shop! :mrgreen:

Originally posted by whysimon
                      WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

wow this is coming along nice! I wish I was still young. Now I got other things to deal with like an apartment and bills and crap, which leaves me no time at all to even work on my 325..

You car is stupid clean too btw...

Comment

by the way, where in california are you? maybe i can help, or just stare in awe or something

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
                          i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
                          Originally posted by slammin.e28
                          Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

Originally posted by accident View Post
                            bravo! This is coming along nicely. I wish I had money to get an S52 :(
                            Thanks. Its come a long way from how it first looked. Ebay headers are next in line.

Originally posted by tonytony View Post
                            you posted more on yoru own thread than anyone else has, awesome, good luck man. I did a nvm50 and i regret it
                            That's only because I had a build thread in e30tech but was banned so I just put everything, old and new all in one night. I'll take more pictures later of all the stuff I got lined up.

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                            Oh man, it's almost time to drop it in! Just a day's worth of work or so and it could be time to drive it to the muffler shop! :mrgreen:
                            It is a good days worth to get it in! Except I don't want to skip anything while the motor is out like the 95 m3 rack... LOL. I shaved a couple stuff on the motor and going to reroute a couple of lines so just waiting for the bondo to dry then gonna sand/spot paint (really don't want to paint the whole engine bay).

Originally posted by itsbrokeagain View Post
                            wow this is coming along nice! I wish I was still young. Now I got other things to deal with like an apartment and bills and crap, which leaves me no time at all to even work on my 325..

You car is stupid clean too btw...
                            I got bills to pay too. I practically live on my own and everything that ever deals with money comes from my pocket and I go to school full time... =/ This is like my only outlet! Bare in mind I don't even have a job at the time!

Originally posted by accident View Post
                            by the way, where in california are you? maybe i can help, or just stare in awe or something
                            Located in 91326. Haha. Hopefully I'll have this up and running before Dyno Day over here in Van Nuys @ RMS.

Comment

Congrats! Good when you can do your own wrenching. I am doing a similar swap, 6speed getrag though, and it is taking a nice chunk of money. Hope to get the car for thanksgiving. Then I will take some more pictures and make a post of them. 2.93 rear.

Comment

Working...
                              X