Basic engine parameters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic engine parameters

Hi guys, I have some questions regarding gauges that shows important engine parameters. I just swapped my 1990 E30 sedan with M52B28 (from M40B18). The engine is pretty much torn apart and all the parts like piston rings, gaskets and other fast moving parts replaced. Since I have been using the car quite often (almost a daily driver), I would like to know the health of my engine. My question is, what basic parameters I should pay attention to? Are there any gauges I can get to show these information? Do I need to modify, drill/tap into my engine block to install the sensors? I know I can go full on and buy stuff like Haltech or any other super expensive displays, but to be honest, I don't have the budget and also I don't track my car so I think it would be an overkill. I just need a basic gauge to show some basic yet important engine parameters Thanks heaps Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

Not sure what you are after. But for daily, you don't need more than what you have in the gauge cluster (engine temp and oil pressure warning light)

Comment

Originally posted by pazi88 View Post
      Not sure what you are after. But for daily, you don't need more than what you have in the gauge cluster (engine temp and oil pressure warning light)
      What about oil temp? Is it necessary for daily driving? Considering I live in Indonesia, a tropical country. At full whack the temperature can be around 35ish celcius Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

Comment

Oil temperature isn't an issue even in race cars. However, an oil pressure gauge is always good.

I also add a mechanical water temperature gauge, but if your dash gauge is accurate, that's overkill.

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
          Oil temperature isn't an issue even in race cars. However, an oil pressure gauge is always good.

I also add a mechanical water temperature gauge, but if your dash gauge is accurate, that's overkill.

t
          its always better to get a accurate water temp gauge....the stock one will only tell you its overheating when its too late...

OP just get some 50mm basic gauges, I got water temp and oil pressure along with voltage meter, try ebay along with a gauge mounting bracket that sits in front of the smoking tray..... I got mine for $20

Comment

E30s don't have buffered coolant gauges like the newer cars, so I don't think that "only tell you when it's too late" is accurate. Mine has saved me before when my tstat failed closed.

Realistically, most of these gauges aren't going to be things you constantly look at while driving, so you'd be better off with some sort of idiot light if you're scared about oil pressure, coolant temp, etc.
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Bavrest has the factory instrument cluster with inputs for oil pressure, Oil Temp. Which I think are 2 great things to have IMO.

In the oil filter housing, you can add oil temp in the location of your old pressure switch and tap into the banjo bolt and remote mount the oil pressure sensor / switch with a -3 an hose from Summit Racing.

As far as the health, good oil pressure is key, but also doing a compression test, Leak down test. And run heck, run it on the dyno confirm good AFR's

If all those are good rock out!

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
              @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
              X