S52 coil pack grounding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S52 coil pack grounding

Just looking to see how others have their coil packs grounded! Trying to hunt down a bit of a rough idle and realized that I didn't do any actual grounding straps on the coil packs.

I've seen setups where every single pack is grounded, they are all daisy chained together to 1-2 ground straps on the ends, just 1-2 grounded and the rest not...

What's best? Does it matter at all?

And what's the best way to secure a strap to the valve cover bolts? The ones I have are quite large nuts in the middle that would take a big ring to go over it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00336.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	9951618
    Last edited by cormier; 09-20-2020, 11:01 PM.

Don't know what is technically best, but I just daisy chained mine and have no issues. I like to know that every coil is grounded vs two posts. Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

As far as I understand it, the coils ground through contact with the metal plate, and the metal plate grounds to the studs in contact with the head through the straps.

This would explain why they don't all have straps, and why the metal plate exists.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I thought the metal plate just was there for the OBDI ignition harness mounting.

I always just install the 2 ground strap on the Two 5mm stud nuts (#7 in diagram), you can see an indention on the valve cover where they go.

On some cars I have added the metal plate between all coils, but I always felt that was more of a placebo feel good thing.

OBDI valve cover

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
        @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
        X